Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

There are so many podcasts and radio shows covering modern day football, would anybody miss this if they dropped it? I find those chats where they talk about bygone times more interesting. It was such a different era and it's fascinating to hear the insights of those guys. Especially now that many of the people they're talking about have died and can't sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Westernview

Yeah it's almost saturation levels now in terms of modern football coverage and it's debatable if much of it is very insightful or interesting. Too much backslapping and manfactured debate. As has been said here before the loss of Liam has taken a lot away from the discussions between John and Eamonn on the modern game. Liam was more in touch with what's gong on now and it felt less repetitive.

I'd be happy if they focused on the old days and maybe having rotating guests joining the 2 boys - the likes of Souness, Keegan, surviving Leeds players etc. Must be loads of retired players from the 70s and 80s who would be happy to come on. Get former English, German, Italian players. It would be very fresh wondering who would be on next. Having just John and Eamon together is probably running out of steam at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Was a huge football fan back in the days when the lads were on the panel. Not so much now. To think people thought the Premier League was corporate and full of prima donna players back in the 90's and 2000's!

I still listen to the odd Stand episode on football. I'm sure the lads would rather keep reviewing the weekly matches for the reason that it keeps them in touch and feeling youthful / current. There's only so much looking back you can do before it starts getting unhealthy. That said, the best sports episodes are when Eamon covers a big ticket item, like Arab money in the game, FIFA corruption, the FAI saga etc or those interviews he does with journos on the ground about the behind the scenes of a club in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lecter8319

Is it me or is Eamon doing a lot of podcasts on rugby these days? it’s really not his strength, doesn’t seem to fully understand it. Much prefer his football podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wouldn't say "a lot". With the WC late last year and now the 6-nations back on again, it's not too surprising that he's done more than usual recently. Once the 6-nations is over, we won't hear another one again for 12 months. Luckily they can be avoided easily. If there's anything more boring than rugby, it's listening to the likes of Matt Williams droning on for an hour about it.

• Advertisement

I find the rugby analysis very boring as well. Theres only so much they can say about breakdowns and gain lines. When BOD joined Newstalk I thought that would be worth listening to but I soon found him tedious as well. I think its just the nature of the game - ok to watch but doesn't merit half the coverage it gets. Though I'm sure the rugby heads would disagree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ireland rugby games are regularly in the yearly top 10 watched programs list so while it isn't for everyone people do watch it.

I can understand the games being in the top 10. I watch them myself. Its all the coverage around it that I think has gone beyond saturation levels.

I cant wait for the next podcast with Eamon and Fionna Sheehan concerning the RTE payments scandal, wtf😂

Fionnan will be running out of exasperated analogies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

"Rice does more on the ball than Rodri"

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The lads obviously didn't watch a single game of Xhaka at Arsenal last season if they think Arteta "got rid" of him. He's been one of Bayer's best players this season and was one of Arsenal's last season and is sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why does Eamo keep saying Ireland lost to New Zealand by a point in the World Cup?

Very sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Has the Russia Today guy ever resurfaced since Putin invaded Ukraine? Not just on the show, but in the media at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

What was his name again? I used to enjoy him even if it was clear he was drinking the kool aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Bryan MacDonald. Don't see much from him online in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm half expecting Dunphy to call him the best journalist in the world, before this saga is over.

He likes sweet talking guests alright. Seems to be a tactic to keep them appearing on the pod (in addition to payment of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

“And now we’re lucky to be joined by the man who originally broke this story, Fionnan Sheahan. Fionnan is not only the finest journalist ever to come out of Ireland he is arguably greatest journalist to ever grace this planet.”

Nice to hear Liam back on the pod this week. Possibly one of the reasons for his appearance was to promote his gofundme cause at the end but no harm in that when we get to hear his views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I like the football episodes where it's former players talking about their careers. The one's he did with Brady and Didi were really enjoyable. Be interesting to get a few more former players on to do the same.

Just listened to Eamon's discussion with Fionnan Sheahan on Varadkar standing down.

I'm surprised how scathing Eamon is of Simon Harris based on them meeting each other a few times. Sheanan not exactly complimentary either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That's Eamon though, he'll slaughter you like that one week and be your best friend the next week.

Personally, the first thing I think of when I hear the name Simon Harris is Covid-19, the pandemic, his glum-but-so-sincere face, "we're in this together", blah, blah. So I'd agree with Sheehan there, Harris strikes me as a bit of an empty suit, will say the "right thing" but not much depth to him.

That's true he can change with the wind.

I don't see Harris that way. I thought he handled it as well as he could and the communication to the public was good. Seems to be well liked in the party. Time will tell of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A few years ago Harris and Dunphy were RTE's Monday night political chat show, which I can't remember the name of now, and Harris won their debate pretty easily. I guess Dunphy hasn't forgotten that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Yes I think it was Harris when minister for health said that “covid 19 isn’t new, there’s been 18 Covid’s before it after all”, or something along those lines.

He didnt win the debate, he took a few unnecessary potshots at Eamon past because he wasnt willing to listen to Harris's drivel at the time. Hes a snake of the highest order and its a damning indictment of this country that he's been elected to the highest office in the land, time will show this. Sheehan and Dunphy didnt go hard enough on him imo.

I think he'll make a very good Taoiseach but the election will be a big challenge for a party that have been in power a long time. He is intelligent, driven and empathetic. Also a very good media performer and communicator.

I personally thought he won the debate but even if you think he didn't he stand his ground. He did give a few potshots but then so did Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Still in Russia afaik, UK hit him with sanctions in 2022. There was a good few Irish lads working for RT, Ivor Crotty was another who did the podcast rounds in the mid to late 2010’s.

Advertisement