Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

But that's the opposite of my point, how do you not see this? I am not talking about political entities, but geography. If they were born in Catalunia, they are Catalan. It would be like Spanish telling them no, you are not of the place you are born, you are only Spanish.

I can't see what you replied to, but if you are referring to what I said, I can't see any other reason around it, and you are not explaining it to me.

What is so wrong with being Irish and British, if not hatred of being called Irish, of Irish people (at least those who are not Unionist I assume)? What is wrong with being Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,157 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It fits perfectly in my view.

It was Unionists who decided that to be called Irish was some kind of slur.
    It didn't use to be that way.

It's your identity issue, not mine. My identity is fine, I am securely an Irish man, born here and bred here.

What a Ukrainian chooses to identify as doesn't bother me either and I am free to offer an opinion on why they suddenly decide to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You cannot tell a person what nationality they are, you cannot tell them that they are Irish, when they are British, even if they are born on this island.

That type of dictatorial nationalism should not be allowed a resurgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mehico

Interesting to hear someone from a traditional hardline unionist background use the word inevitable in respect of a UI and that he mentions there are others in his community and within the loyal orders that agree with his view.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3gxyxv8kllo

• Advertisement

I am not talking about Nationality. Downcow has a British passport I'm sure. But part of Ireland is administered by Britain. Just as Scotland and Wales is. I am questioning why saying you are Irish can be a slur, when it is a geographic fact. We are made up of stone age people, Celts, Vikings, Normans, English and lowland Scots and we all share this island, as Downcow alluded to.

Extremists on both sides deny Irishness, but being Irish was should not be owned by politics.

To people born British on this island, calling them Irish is a slur.

Simple as. The right to be born British is enshrined in the GFA.

The territorial claim was given up in the GFA when we acknowledged that this island is shared by both British and Irish people. In the next evolution, we will also be conceding that it is shared by Northern Irish people.

You are the only person bringing up nationalities or claims or good Friday agreements, and I have to correct you each time. I respect it all.

Why is being Irish a slur?

Calling someone who is not Irish an Irish person is disrespectful and insulting.

Refusing to acknowledge that some people born here are born British is arrogantly insulting.

The right to be born British is enshrined in the GFA.

The 'right' to IDENTIFY as you wish is enshrined in the GFA.
    And what I hope is enshrined in the constitution of a UI is the right to identify as you wish.

The only people with a problem re: 'identity' are certain Unionists and their partitionists allies.

Invariably these people also have issues with the 'Irish' language and aspects of 'Irish' culture.

• Advertisement

I have not called anyone Irish who isn't from Ireland, and I have not denied anyone's Britishness or their Nationality. Nationalities don't own being Irish.

Why is calling someone Irish insulting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Miniegg, I can see how it could be insulting to someone who has a British passport, who pays the British exchequer their taxes, who gets British NHS care, pension, who may have had relatives or friends who were blown up by Irish people ( who if they were killed would often have had the tricolour on their coffin) for you or other Republicans to insist they were Irish.

They would not have the audacity to insist northern nationalists are British, even though they may have been born in the UK and getting British currency and British health care and social welfare.

You are talking again about nationality and passports.

There is no difference between what people in NI do, and people in Scotland, and Wales and England, and they are all British and Scottish, Welsh and English.

A tricolour doesn't, or shouldn't own Irishness, that would be exclusionary republicanism surely if it tried to. And to correct you, the tricolour is not owned by republican terror groups, no more than the Union jack is owned by the UVF, would you not agree with this?

The only thing that defines Irishness, imo, is being of Ireland, our shared island. It is diverse, has two jurisdictions, and two or however many more nationalities.

As I mentioned, Ian Paisley himself knew the patent absurdity of denying he was Irish, even when many down here would have denied him that right due to their own prejudice. I happen to agree with him.

I don't see how being called Irish could be a slur, or how anyone denying Unionists their Irishness along with their Britishness, can be explained outside of prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Paisley said he was an Ulsterman. He also had a British passport. Do you have a link or know where or when he described himself as "Irish"?

Incidentally I think there was a long tradition the Queen or some member of the Royal family used to present some shamrock to the Irish guards regiment in London every year on March 17th.

Ireland is also represented in the Union Jack. 120 years ago some native in India (or wherever) did not care if the white man helping build his railways or whatever was from Dublin or Liverpool, all the same to him.

I have seen dozens of quotes from him down the years, and anecdotes, proclaiming his Irishness. No idea where they are online, but I will look.

Yup I'll take your word for it re Indian people, as you said before, alot of people have no idea where Ireland is and and why would they, it's only when you talk to someone form a place you get educated.

“I’m an Ulsterman… I would never deny I was an Irishman The person that says that [denies they are Irish], they are Irish and there have been more generations from Irish roots in them than they’re prepared to meet. The English that came over here were ‘Irish-ised’ very quickly.”

I despised much of what he preached but had a fondness for him aswell I couldn't put my finger on, even with all the trouble he caused and people he radicalised. But in the end he compromised, and the island is better because of it.

Reading and hearing him speak about Irishness over the years changed my mind on the whole thing. It isn't about passports,.or republicanism or unionism or nationality or tricolours, it's about where you are from and your roots, and to my mind I cannot square how you can deny you have two sides if you live and are of Ireland, and are British.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭downcow

there are very few people in the world like you, who need to put everyone in a identity that makes you yourself feel more secure

So are you saying that Jerry Adams is Northern Irish whether he likes it or not?

Quite the contrary, check your history
    The Brits were the first people to unite Ireland.
    Are you trying to tell us that Ireland was united until the Brits arrived?

and my history is not good, but I don’t believe the Brits partitioned anything. As far as I know your government voted to allow the people of Northern Ireland to decide, and they decided. You’re doing a bit of a pontious pilot.

• Advertisement

I do not have to identify as anything. I am born British. It is the people who want to identify as Irish that need to take action.

Yup Belfast is in northern Ireland, the way Cork is in Southern Ireland and Galway in the west. The part of Ireland he is from is administered by Britain.

Let me check something in case we have different starting points.
    Do you accept that there is an international border running across this island, separating to distinct countries?
    I think I posted a list of 50 significant things that are different either side of the border, I won’t bore you with that again.

so the question again is do you accept that there is an international border running across this island separating two distinct nations?. I would also be quite keen to hear answers from some other posters to that question. Maybe the problem is that some of you guys are starting from a, romantic fancyfull place that is not in reality

Wha?😁

I have no need of any such thing.

A few years ago you were adamant you were 'British', now it's Northern Irish', seems to me you are the insecure person but you are heading my way. The only country in the words 'Northern Irish' is Ireland.

No you were not 'born British' nobody is born 'British'. You could be born 'in' Britain which is the large neighbouring island to Ireland, which is were you were born 'in', same as me.

Being of Ireland does not equate to Irishness. Simple as that.

Your refusal to accept this, to insist on labelling everyone born on this island as Irish, is identity-denying. It is wrong in law because of the GFA, it is wrong in morality, forcing the Irish identity onto people.

As for the tricolour, it has been besmirched by the PIRA, and despite its noble ideas on foundation, it can never serve as a symbol of reconciliation.

Unionists are fully entitled to say that even though they were born on this island, and are of this island, that they are not, and have never been, Irish.

So you keep telling me - why is being Irish a slur? What is wrong with being Irish. Irish people were here millenia before tricolour were they not and will be after if?

You are mixing up identity - which is something you choose and can change - with the location of your birth.
    Nobody is saying downcow's identity is Irish, which is what the GFA disallows - he like everyone else on the island of Ireland has the right to identify as he pleases.

Please show us where in the GFA it says anything different on the matter of identities.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. Is the Union Jack bismerched by the UVF?

I have not denied anyone's identity.

Unionists can say whatever they want, too right.

I don't agree for one second they have never been Irish, that is nonsense. Was Ireland not a part of Britain, "unified" as Downcow said. Are you telling me a unified Ireland, which was an equal in Britain to England, Scotland and Wales, had people in it saying they were not Irish. Have you ever come across that in England or Scotland or Wales? It's absurd.

Advertisement