Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

Full length DART has the capacity for 1400, and 29k for 1280 - although I’d say that’s optimistic, and older darts have more seating. Pre covid rail census the busiest dart had over 1100 onboard.

in regards to a separate post about the need for BEMUs, wasn’t the original plan to electrify Maynooth line, and cascade 29k to Drogheda. So they’re as a result of delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭loco_scolo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, that is for a half length unit (HLU) which is 5 carriages, equivalent to a 4 carriage current DART. A full length unit will consist of a set of two HLU's 10 carriages, about the same length as a 8 carriage DART.

I'd take passenger capacity numbers with a pinch of salt. These sort of articles always leave out a vital piece of information, how many passengers per square meter is the number based on?

This has changed over time, for instance you see old articles about Luas claiming higher passengers numbers then newer articles for the same length of Luas. It turns out the passenger numbers by square meter measurement has changed over time (less now), while there isn't any actual change in the real vehicle capacity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would assume a fully tested new Dart train could be used on currently scheduled services between Bray and Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you'd think so - they could probably drop one in as a direct replacement for a 2900 service to Drogheda as well assuming the charging facilities are built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Unless the plans have changed , the plan is/was for Maynooth-Bray, Maynooth/M3 parkway-Spencer Dock and Hazelhatch-GCD/Spencer Dock/Heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

I was hoping someone would say Dec '25 is for the BEMUs, but that the EMUs would be in sooner!

In the meantime, I ended up down a rabbit hole, it's a good read though!

https://www.modernrailways.com/article/confessions-commissioning-engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Are riff raff afraid of the smell of diesel? Or how else are they prevented from using the trains that already run to Skerries?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭FledNanders

What will happen to the faster intercity trains that don't stop from Maynooth until Broombridge when the Dart comes? Will it slow these down?

Don't know what the exact plan is/was. I'm fairly sure the service patterns have not been decided. They'll also change a lot, as and while the full Dart+ and Metro plans are built.

However, I highly doubt all Maynooth Darts, which head via Connolly, will continue all the way to Bray, if that's what you mean?...

They'd need to massively reduce the amount of Northern Darts heading to Bray and, instead, terminate some of these in GCD/Connolly. The plans for Spencer Dock only have a single alignment connection from the Northern Line to Spencer Dock, so it's unlikely any Northern Darts will terminate in Spencer Dock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The canal is an artificial man-made construction, filling it in and converting to public transport would surely be environmentally friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The only way you can 3 0r 4 track west of Glasnevin junction is through infill of the canal. CPOs won't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

The plans were in the dart+ west plans . Don't ask me where .

The plan showed the following max allocations:

Northern

Drogheda Bray - 3 TPH

Laytown Bray - 2 TPH

Malahide Greystones - 2 TPH

Clongriffin Bray - 2 TPH

Western

Maynooth Bray - 3 TPH

Maynooth Spencer Dock - 3 TPH

M3 Parkway Spencer Dock - 4 TPH

South western

Hazelhatch GCD - 3 TPH

Hazelhatch Spencer Dock - 4 TPH

Hazelhatch Heuston - 4 TPH

Looks like plenty of green space between Clonsilla and Coolmine without having to infill the canal. No houses or private gardens built right up against the line like most other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is already a siding immediately west of Clonsilla. It would be quite easy to incorporate that and have three tracks from the split to Dunboyne as far as the Dr. Troy Bridge. The land is available, you'd only have to set the southern platform at Clonsilla back to allow for a through track. Closing the LC without adding a bridge makes it easier but the new planned pedestrian/cycle bridge might not allow for it. I suggested this making that section three track during the DART+W consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

For Drogheda trains, stopping at Dart stations probably won't add much time. While officially nonstop from Malahide to Connolly, you end up queuing behind Darts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Economics101

Are the pics you posted for the Clonsill-Coolmine area? The green space you refer to is actually the "Deep Sinking" a very deep rock cutting, at the bottom of whichis the canal The photos were obviously taken in Summer when the extensive tree cover in the are obscures the canal

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭danfrancisco83

For Dart+ West, would you still expect to see some level of construction this year? No sign of RO yet, maybe Spring 2025 is more likely?

Yeah that area. The canal is on the right in the pictures. Pics taken from Google Earth, which gives a very good idea of the space, as it's a 3d map. I'm not familiar with the area, but it certainly looks like there's plenty of space (to the left) to add a 3rd track.

Anyway, it's outside the scope of the Dart+ plans so I won't linger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This confirms that it's a 20 minute charge, just FYI.

EDIT - Gave it the full listen there, these jumped out at me:

• Batteries are replaceable/upgradable
    • End of 2025 before it's in service, and I got the impression that is if everything goes right.
    • This model (without the battery) is already in service in Oz

Oh, a further thing to note, the journey out to drogheda leaves about 30 to 40% percent charge left, according to the modelling they've done. That should give an indication of how it might perform to other locations, like Wexford, etc. Don't think that they'd schedule a service that'd bring it below 20-25%, imo, they'd want a very healthy margin for error.

Post edited by CatInABox on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I'm not sure the BEMU version of the Xtrapolis in in service in Australia, but the regular EMUs are used all over the place. The Australian ones may be the latest version, though.

Yes, the batteries can be expanded or even removed to save weight. The products from all manufacturers have become highly modular: for instance Stadtler's latest FLIRT intercity trains can be swapped between diesel, EMU, BEMU or hydrogen power after purchase.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, thanks, did a quick edit there, I don't believe that he was referring to the BEMU version.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Seems NTA plan to extend to Kilcock proper for Dart+ West

"When questioned by Social Democrats TD for Kildare North Catherine Murphy, Deputy CEO of the NTA Hugh Creegan said that assuming planning consent comes through for the project this year, "we would envisage starting a project with Irish Rail next year to extend to Kilcock and ensure that we get the extra distance out there."

Mr Creegan also stated that it should be able to run concurrently with the construction of the larger Dart+ West project."

https://www.kfmradio.com/news/localnews/nta-intends-to-extend-the-dart-west-out-to-kilcock-train-station/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Seriously, why was it not included in the original Dart+ project in the first place? So many unnecessary omissions to this project, along with omission of many planned intermediate stops for Dart SW

Not to downplay the reasonable chance that these things simply weren't thought of, but all evidence of how the NTA is handling its big projects, Dart+ and Busconnects (Metrolink excepted, kinda has to be an all in one) speaks to a compartmentalised approach to the planning process. Not having these stations be part of the Dart W/SW planning application, but being concurrent applications that the actual construction phase can account for, means that, for example, a Kylemore station could be rejected/JRd to death (bigger land take, "stealing my garden" etcetc) without it killing the whole Dart + SW (or the whole Dart+ project)

That said, I would say in the case of Kilcock there's a very good chance they just didn't account for the furore over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭densification

Because the GDA Transport Strategy said the Dart should be extended to Maynooth, not Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The NTA is wasting a lot of time and money with the approach they have

Kilcock is an obvious case for a limited frequency extension, doesn't require a new substation just a few hundred meters of wire. Numerous responses during public consultation pushed for Kilcock. Now we have to do another set of studies and planning, so € wasted

Same thing with a station at Cabra and Inchicore, more time and € wasted

You would think the NTA are on our side and pushing to get things done right and done quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A full extension will need a new station at a new location, which will go down like a lead balloon. Existing station is built on the trackbed.

• Advertisement

Adding those stations to the existing project would have added more time to the planning of the project as a whole (maybe not as much as doing them separately, but a fair whack, and resources are finite), all the same environmental factors, impact studies etc would have to have happened, this way they are just decoupled from what is effectively their "parent" project (importantly of course while being at arms reach legally from it) at worst you are missing out on some fairly minor benefits in concurrent processing, (good chance planners moved straight on from Dart+ West planning to Cabra Station planning anyway) while gaining significant benefits in the decoupling of the overall scheme. While there are zero guarantees, getting individual stations through to construction shouldn't take anywhere near as long as getting all of one Dart+ corridor through, so there's every possibility of the stations being ready/near ready when the corridor goes live. (Some will point to the cork level crossings issue as NTA failing to deliver, but it's unclear what exactly is holding that up).

Advertisement