Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭loco_scolo

Another Dart project about to disappear into the hole that is ABP. It will be lucky to emerge out of ABP within 3 years, let alone be completed. What a joke.

And still no update on Dart+ West. There was talk of a Railway Order being granted in February and not a word since.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/05/21/government-pursues-plan-to-extend-dart-services-to-drogheda/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Economics101

Nothing really new about this. It has been the intention for some time to extend the wires to Drogheda.

It should be relatively straightforward, and the planning issues should be minimal. But of course never underestimate the dysfunctional planning and appeals system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I presume that this is the planning to extend the electrification? The BEMUs will probably be in service to Drogheda before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Economics101

Yes, and when the electrification is done, the BEMUs can be cascaded to other routes, or maybe some of them used for Drogheda-Dundalk,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Malahide to Drogheda will not be electrified in 3 years. Sorry but that is a fantasy completely outside the realms of fact. A railway order has yet to be submitted for DART+ Coastal North and DART+ West is waiting 2 years now on a railway order. We can only expect more farce and bumbling.

There might be BEMUS in 3 years but the route will certainly not be electrified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'd hope that we don't need to wait until 2027 for just the BEMUs! That part surely wouldn't need planning? Or would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're due to start being delivered by the end of this year, and then entering service by Autumn 2025. So I'd imagine a gradual increase in Drogheda services using BEMUs (though they'll also be replacing diesel sets that are going to moved elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is the Minister getting cabinet approval for the railway order to be submitted to ABP, as required by the public spending code.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭spillit67

This should be an issue at this election but it is telling that it isn’t.

The slowness in getting things through ABP is killing infrastructure development and is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

Is nearly 2.5 years from consultation to a railway order not very slow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I read from one of the papers today that the planning decision for Dart+ West to Maynooth & M3 Parkway was meant to be due in the coming months. Is that decision realistic in this timeframe or is it going to be hampered with more delays?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Article may have been poorly worded. It says “completed within 3 years” and “new battery electric DART carriages by 2026” but these are two different things.
    The latter refers to battery trains that won’t use wires. The former means after they receive planning permission (and haven’t even applied yet) they will be finished construction after 3 years.

Perhaps it might start construction in 3 years

In the coming months? This is fairly nebulous. It's coming up on 2 years already. I've said it many times we cannot continue this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

Not sure whether this was already posted, was interesting to see some info on plans for costal south.
    https://issuu.com/railindustry/docs/dart_presentation_-_no_videos.pptx?ff&experiment=previewReaderTestMode,new-bff-video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭pigtown

Have plans for Heuston West Station been released? It would be ideal if access was possible from the Clancy Quay development so that Kilmainham, Islandbridge and even Chapelizod could be brought into the DART catchment

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bebra

It is being looked at as part of the Heuston Masterplan. As is pedestrian & cycling access across the existing railway bridge and access from St. John's Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

curved platforms?

a covered travelator from the main station would be a good addition here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Three years. https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/310286

Three years to upgrade a few level crossings. Three months would have been too long. What hope does Dart+ West of getting past ABP before the year is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They can’t even keep escalators running at Connolly. Good luck to a travelator.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Maybe. Last time I was at Connolly coming down the escalator some yob at the bottom deliberately pressed the emergency stop button and walked away. When you get random antisocial behaviour like this, it’s hard to keep escalators running.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OisinCooke

I take it that in terms of the 5 new stations encompassing the DART+ Project, Heuston West is to be provided as part of SW, Spencer Dock and Glasnevin as part of W and then Ballyfermot/Kylemore and Cabra as separate projects…?
    Upgrades to Connolly seem to be going under the radar too but makes a lot of sense to have a Preston Street entrance further up Amiens Street - almost a separate DART/Suburban platforms entrance.
    I’m most excited about Spencer Dock - a huge upgrade from the current Docklands station with a direct Luas connection right outside AND provision for DART Underground being considered… is this finally a sign of joined up thinking and infrastructure futureproofing from the NTA…??

No provisions for Dart Underground at Spencer Dock unfortunately. Other than that, the proposals for that station are fantastic and will be a huge asset for the city. Hopefully new bridges across the Liffey can be built soon which will connect both sides of the docks there.

Preston Street entrance at Connolly, including the plans to open up the arches for shops etc, are also fantastic. Unfortunately, poor planning on the C2CC route removed the bus stop right outside Preston Street, but kept the stops closer to Seville Place (North Circular), which is not ideal for a direct connection.

I presume though they can just dive the centre two tracks to keep going beyond the station…? Although they mightn’t be able to get deep enough to clear the bottom of the Liffey in the 200 metres between the station and the river… Still it wouldn’t be too hard to just sink the middle two tracks by a few metres on the approach and just have them lower in the station before continuing into the tunnel. I’m sure either way it’s an easy enough fix when they eventually get around to DART Underground. And I think yes, a few new bridges, pedestrian and road based, would definitely do very well there.

Shame about the bus stop being taken away outside Preston Street but I presume it can be added back in if needs be when the time comes…? Would be a very handy addition

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's ways that it could be done, some of which may be easier than others, but at the moment, in the current plans, there is nothing that could be construed as forward planning for DU.

Unfortunately it's not an easy fix at all. The conflict was well flagged in option selection reports. The "simple" fix is to "temporarily" relocate the station back to its current location and dig the station and approach tracks deeper.

The proposed platform levels are 5m below ground, but the Luas Station has a substation also 5m below ground. To clear the substation, the tracks would need to start descending several 100metres further north, as was planned when DU was envisioned.

Ahh ok never mind then, I take back my water comment about the NTA displaying some joined up thinking - they’ve characteristically shot themselves in the proverbial foot - again… Back to the drawing board then…

• Advertisement

Just to be fair to others on this point (it's been debated a number of times), there are solutions to this issue.

Temporarily relocating the station, to dig down deeper, is indeed an option. I struggle to see that happening given the level of disruption it would create, though others disagree and believe it would be worthwhile in the long run.

There is also plenty of space nearby in the large Irish Rail railyards in East wall. Or perhaps a tunnel could simply continue further north and join the Northern line in Clontarf Golf Club for example (which is being considered for redevelopment).

I'm keen to find out if ABP will mention it when they issue a decision on Dart+ West. Any day now..... 😬🙈

Advertisement