Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

CNNs new take

Russia is making daily tactical gains in eastern Ukraine, as concerns swirl around Ukrainian military reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭zv2

Bohdana - Ukraine is now producing one every 3 days.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Sorry didn't hit reply to comment below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Think the Russians are upping their tempo. The incoming US armaments will make future advances more costly. Also to have something to brag about during the May celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rogber

The price being paid for lack of delivery of weapons these last months

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭zerosquared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This - as we have already discussed here - is the inevitable outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

a terrorist state, rotting evil sewage impersonating humans

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Roald Dahl

. . . deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Roald Dahl

It is indeed heartwarming to think of these brutes and their happy daydreams of roosting in their stolen apartments and strutting around Kyiv in their gala uniforms being turned upside down. You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh.

The mob of omon thugs that were rendered non-dangerous on the bridge on their joyride into Kyiv was another early escapade that I fondly recall. We can only imagine the harm and suffering these feral vermin would otherwise have instigated.

The story of the restaurant reservations and luxury apartments and the fancy uniforms exemplify how your Vatnik has an unwarranted air of superiority and swagger to him as if he was put on Earth to be master of all he surveys. This haughtiness needs to be smashed out of their collective psyche.

Post edited by Roald Dahl on

How many pages were made here by Putinistas trying to paint Russia as cuddly teddy bears only for all their effort to be undone time and time again by prime time Russian tv

So where are all the Tucker Carson fans hiding now, why they quiet about these journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not verboten at all. It's been debated plenty on here before. It's just that you sing one tune and have been called out on it countless times, with no comeback other than "they should be forced to fight to the death". Your arguments are less than persuasive - that's discussion for you… people can air their opinions but equally others will call nonsense, nonsense. They'll call disguised xenophobia, xenophobia. They'll call small mindedness, small mindedness. They'll call keyboard warriors, keyboard warriors. It is interesting to see that you're about the only person in agreement with that poster though, everyone else seems to see them as a pro-Russian troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's not possible to comment sensibly on this matter. All I'll say is that I mentioned it about 3 times over several months but funnily those like you were quick to shut down that line of thought. Maybe you & others have skin in the game, so to speak.

The subject of conscription of young men in Ukraine (and those now outside) is a tricky one, but here is where Ukraine is different to Russia, in Ukraine the subject and its pros and cons is debated in civil society and free media with politicians being held to account as it’s a democracy

While in Russia you get an email and off ya go to die for dear leader in the mud fields of another country to give up your life so the largest country in world may gain another few square meters with your blood.

This was discussed on this pod

It sounds like Ukraine will extend conscription to all adults ages this year and pressure will be made to get those who left to return

At end of day they are fighting an existential war and these young men have to realise that their parents and extended family back home will meet a very bad ending of Russia wins.

The above pod made a point that military service shouldn’t be viewed as death sentence and we in west can help with more training and equipment, so parents don’t fall for the Russian propaganda which is trying to create rifts in Ukrainian society again

My 2c

Post edited by zerosquared on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The War Of Russia's Elites Has Begun | THE SILOVIKI vs THE ARMY vs THE OLIGARKHS

Russian Minister of Defence Shoigu's right hand man is arrested! This is the declaration of THE WAR OF THE ELITES that will topple Putin

Very insightful video from the perspective of a russian who fled after the invasion of Ukraine. He explains how the arrest of Timur Ivanov once though untouchable is the start of the collapse of the house of cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

If Ukraine wants to forge closer ties with the EU and NATO, it is perfectly entitled to as a sovereign nation. If that is the will of the people, Russia can go f**k itself.

If Ukraine wants to resist Russian military oppression, it will and we in the West, who share a value of democracy, should support it by providing whatever financial and military equipment support we can.

If the Ukrainian people want to support their government's continued military resistance, they will. If they don't, that is their choice. The great thing about democracy is that it values the individual's human rights. Yes, there is a quid-pro-quo, and if you live in a country and avail of the benefits of doing so, you should comply with its laws. But choosing not to put yourself at risk of death because you believe there is more to life - or for whatever reason you may have not to sign up to fight - that waging war, even if its a war against an oppressor - that's a fundamental, basic human right. We don't get to sit here at our desks and decide who gets a free pass and who doesn't. If some decides that they would prefer to wake up to a new sunrise every morning, even if its one in poverty, living on charity and handouts, that's a basic human right that any democratic nation should support.

If Ukraine decides to withhold consular services from people eligible for conscription who have fled the war, then that is Ukraine's right and I'm not going to criticise that. But it's a whole other ball game for Westerners to demand that people fleeing a war that is being fought for the benefit of the West be deported home and forced to fight.

I'm constantly hearing how important it is for the West that Russia be stopped in its tracks. I don't see a long line of people in the West looking to volunteer to fight for that result.

It's a matter of conscience for everyone, whether they pick up a gun or not. If they choose not to, they will have to deal with that on their conscience themselves. They alone know their reasons. Some, undoubtedly are more noble than others. But equally, those in the West rabidly cheerleading the rounding up and deportation of Ukrainians who have made the difficult decision to uproot themselves and often their family to flee to another country, with no possessions and an uncertain future - they also need to examine their own consciences and ask why they are so invested in this war and what entitles them to make demands of others.

That's the very last I'll say on this issue, because these discussions rarely stay civil and sensible for long.

It's not our war, for the moment anyway. We are taking a hit, every one of us in various ways, but it is necessary to support or it could well become our war. No need for us to sign up to defend Ukraine at present except on a voluntary basis and we should honour anyone who does.

As to the rest of your point, it is a primary duty of citizens to defend their own groups/ states. Thus it has been since the days of our own Gaelic kingdoms when you joined a hosting to battle neighbouring clans. Through to major world wars. If my ancestors thought like you, we'd be speaking German now likely. They didn't sign up in 1914 or 1945 but in 1916 and 1942, when they clearly saw they would need to do their bit at whatever cost. You, I and anyone else in this position would do the same basic duty as a citizen. Love your country and be prepared to suffer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not to mention Elon Musk and his extremely narrow definition of FREE SPEECH

Who needs free speech in an innovative country like Russia, have you seen this great Russian invention?

Wow pure Russian genius, Much amaze 😂 why no one else think of it!

10/10 keeps the homeless from stealing trolleys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The question of whether there is a duty of the individual to fight for the State has been debated by philosophers and ethicists for some time. Suffice it to say that there is no set answer to the question, so let's say we'll go with 'individual right to choose' for the sake of it. Not that most people are thrilled about getting shot at in the first place, mind, I haven't met many who are, but 'not wanting to fight' is a slightly different question to 'duty to fight'.

There is far more to the question, though, than picking up a rifle and going to the front. Even the US makes such accommodations: I had a medic refused to carry a rifle (Part of his job is the protection of wounded). We found him a spot in a base hospital, and I got a different medic. And of course there are cases like Desmond Doss. There are a slew of things which Ukraine needs to get done in order to survive the war other than just fight or even go near the front lines, from stringing power lines knocked down by Russian strikes to water delivery to civilians in areas with outages. Whether the Ukrainian government is taking such factors into consideration, I'm not sure, but even working in a western Ukrainian farm would be helpful. And the country's not yet at a point that regular work has ceased: My civilian employer still has a large development studio for video games operating in Kyiv: The economy still needs to function in addition to the war being fought. Indeed, the economy needs to function for the war to be fought: The Ukrainians say that they have more theoretical domestic capacity to build weapons than they are using simply because they haven't the government revenue from taxes to spend on it. Refugees living in other countries are not contributing to that economic base.

There is also the note that whilst there can certainly be debate in third countries about ejecting those who are avoiding the fighting and sending them back to Ukraine, and I think most people would say that is not a course of action to go with, it's also worth noting that there was no requirement to accept them in the first place, and that was a choice which could have been made differently. I'm not sure if any nations set up any basic screening. "Are you a family with children?" "Is your home within 100km of the front line or in occupied territory? If you're a military aged male, are you the only child of the family?" That sort of thing. If a nation is hosting refugees from, say, Lviv right now, the question should be "why?" Or did all the nations just fill up their refugee quotas on a first come-first served basis?

Unlike the case of, say, Canada providing refuge for Americans avoiding the Vietnam War draft, there are very direct consequences to the outcome of the fight in Ukraine for European nations hosting refugees, and ultimately a nation needs to act in its own self-interest. The West is spending billions of dollars and Euro keeping Ukraine in the fight: Obviously it is perceived as being in European, American and a large part of Pacific Oceanic interests to have Ukraine exist as an independent country, or at least prevent Russia from being a successfully expansionist country either for its own sake or as an example for other nations. Why are we doing this at the same time as we are enabling the denial from the Ukrainians of one of the most critical resources that they have in order to achieve this: Their own personnel? The sooner that the Russians are defeated, the sooner the global economy can get back to normal, the sooner all the refugees currently being hosted can go home, and the sooner we can get back to spending money on things we want domestically instead, right?

There is no long line of people in the West lining up for various different reasons, but there is also a reason why Macron openly observed that having Western troops in Ukraine should not be ruled out. If the Ukrainians are not capable of doing so, then we'll have to do it. Honestly, there's a bit of real-politik involved. We had no problems going to help Kuwait, but Iraq didn't have strategic nuclear missiles. So, the overall safest course of action for the world as a whole is that Ukraine manages it with only its own manpower. By denying Ukraine that manpower, we are increasing the risk to our own nations both in terms of the human capital we are going to expend if they fail, the dollars/euros we are going to expend doing it, and possible larger risk of greater destruction over more places than we otherwise might have had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭jmreire

Another opinion on Russian so called successes …..

Russians looking ahead to the future….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I tend to be suspicious of any Russia related news/pr lately. So many naff story's coming from a verity of outlets that can turn out to be fabricated yahoo. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be some lousy PR gig of some kind. Those Ruskkies mahhh

Dan.

• Advertisement

And now, we come to the hard facts and figures….how many Ukrainians do we need to kill?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement