Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Am I wrong in thinking there isnt a single act performing at both GM and EP? Not even one?!

We're being taken for utter fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭The Davestator

After the disappointment of the announcement, I started the research.

The Teskey Brothers are excellent IMO - very Otis like. Hopefully get a nice sunny chill slot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

In fairness to FR there’s never been any crossover with Green Man. Not a single act that I remember. On this thread the posters regularly brought this up, obviously no connection between promoters. A pity as we yearly miss out on great stuff.

Sure but usually theres 2-3 weeks between the fests, no? For the two fests to be on same weekend and not have a single overlapping performer seems odd to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dav09

The Killers are sort of a near lowest common denominator act in terms of rock music, pop anthems, I have probably a few in that 'guilty pleasure' category of musicians but they're not one, the exact type of act EP have been booking the past 2 years. The Strokes aren't my cup of tea either but at least a good bit better, either way both of these bands will appeal to the masses. Give me the likes of Arctic Monkeys, RATM or Tame Impala any day. Or older bands like The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, etc.

I really think we're in the years of the festivals demise, sad. It might sell out straight away again but unless drastic improvement that won't last. If I go this year 100% will be my last, I can't see the point in going through this every year hoping it gets better and it gets worse and worse, there was little there for me last year and even less this year. Will look at Primevera again, or Pukklepop, Glastonbury or even Sziget next year along with maybe ATN here, and B&S hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Fanirish

different booking policies and from quick look majority of artists playing green man either work with other promoters here not FR or have other Irish summer shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Absolutely. There was a fair bit of crossover with EOTR but none so far this year. Promoters of GM may not get on with FR but those acts can be booked independently and there’s a hell of a lot of goodies. But I don’t know, am just guessing. Badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭rubick

This year hinges upon whether there are decent undercard acts still to be announced, and the strength and depth of Salty Dog/Trenchtown/Jerry Fish. And frankly, if it's got to that situation, it's grim.

Melvin Benn spunking the whole budget so he can meet Kylie and blame Calvin f*cking Harris for the date swap.

Aye, dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Wow. That line up is eclectic, but lots I could enjoy. Much, much better than EP this year.

If the likes of Kodaline, Gerry Cinnamon and Calvin Harris are in the 250-500k category, imagine the acts they could have booked with that sort of money. Replace Harris with Chemical Bros/Prodigy. The other two with someone in the category of Liam Gallagher and one of The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys etc. or even Fontaines. Would have completely changed the whole festival. I've seen all bar the Cure and all of them appeal to people young and old. You'd still have Kylie, Raye and Noah to keep the young tik tok trendy kids happy along with Tom Grennan, Teddy Swimms, etc. Two out of 5 of the worst acts I've ever seen out of probably thousands of acts are in the top two tiers (J hus and Calvin Harris, I've been more entertained by a fella playing the hoover haha, although seemed more of a joke), and I could imagine Noah, Gerry, Kodaline and Raye giving them a run for their money over who is worse.

• Advertisement

the chemical brothers are on touring hiatus for next few years. The prodigy played all around last year, bands need to take fallow years from playing ireland. And no offence to the Prodigy but Calvin Harris is a far bigger draw so it’s not a like for like swap.
    the cure and Depeche mode on hiatus and Depeche mode pretty much only do headline shows, they don’t play festivals (primavera being exception).
    new order and pet shop boys aren’t as a big a draw as muck like kodaline/Gerry cinnamon here in ireland. it’s a 75k festival, headline slots need to go to artists that are very very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

I had tickets last year but I sold them, but I been to EP 14 times with the first time being in 2007 and the best. Look at the quality of acts above. The organizers have sold their soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

They dont though. They've already sold the tickets. There's no way of knowing of course, but I would suspect EP would not have sold out as quick had the tickets been announced after this line up.

People buy them early because A: FOMO. One of their favourite artists will play. B: They had a good time the previous year and are still on a buzz from the last festival.

Nick Cave is touring, he would have been an excellent headliner and has played festivals previously. There's plenty of other artists that could have made this a great festival. What they went with really is just unenergetic, reflective gash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Agree but that is the folk who basically run ATN now and not present owners of EP. 2007 was a great year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

FR painting themselves into a corner mate.

I sense even from you a note of surprise at how things have panned out. From any fair minded viewer it is one of the weaker line ups internationally, and without question the lowest quality line up (so far at least) in fest's history.

Incoherent booking policy now - Waterboys will have a tiny crowd - with a strong sense of listlessness coming through with the all over the map announcement. The reaction to which of course was 95% negative - including areas outside of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Stillill42

While much of this is true, the reason I went straight for the ticket for next year for so many years was trust in the organisers. If you've been 3, 4, 5 times and they've pulled out a great, eclectic line up each time, that breeds trust and loyalty. I know there are some on here that will scoff at the importance of that in the face of the current army of feckless prepubescent party animals who will snap up tickets just for the vibes but that gives a festival long term foundations. You take away that, you're vulnerable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m only going this year because it’s my best mates birthday that weekend. I don’t care about the lineup as much as others, but I was expecting there’d be at least 10 bands over the weekend I’d want to see. It’s tripe though.

I live in The Netherlands, I’ll spend the winter convincing people to come here for festivals next year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Have always bought the ticket for nrmext year because I have enjoyed the previous year(s). For me it is all about the music, since 2012 have seen 2 comedians and nothing else non-musical. While I appreciate the vibe it would not be enough without the music and thought pre covid my time at EP was coming to an end but last year had great music across the different tiers and stages but so far this year that has not happened, may do but need decent mid tier to support the always great Jerry and Salty lineups, and that is not there for me so far. Will not be buying an early ticket for next year which saddens me as some great memories from EP

Wonderful year - along with EP 2005 one of the best Irish festivals ive attended.

sure they have been for last decade since they over fully, doubling the capacity and not increasing main arena stages was always going to lead to them chasing generic popular mainstream artists.
    Was surprised that they didn’t get Lana as she is one who very popular, devoted young fan base and is a credible artist.

quality of the line up has not been a major consideration since the POD era ended. Melvin on the radio last week was praising himself for best line up ever.
    Incoherent booking has been a thing in the last decade, some more noticeable to others when great artists play to empty tents.
    The online reaction can be overstating the dislike though, judging by how quickly the tickets are being snapped up on resale market. I think it’s finally detached from line up driven sales, it’s all about the experience and music is very very secondary

• Advertisement

Most of them acts mentioned headlined the likes of Primevera and other major festivals over the past few years. Again I wasn't being specific on who's touring or what not just throwing names out there, in that sort of caliber. If you compared the caliber of acts at EP from everything from maybe 2017 up to 2022 you could compare them somewhat to a lot of the major festivals in Europe. No serious festival in Europe is booking the likes of Gerry Cinnamon, Kodaline, Noah Kahan in 2024 besides maybe R&L which of course is FR, and very few Calvin Harris either. Fontaines got a mental sized crowd at Primevera, I'd say much less than half at Calvin Harris, even a third of the size, his popularity is not like it was, he is awful live, meme worthy in fact.

I know the term 'music snobs' get thrown around a lot, but I can't see how anyone who actually goes to more than one or two gigs a year can find any more than 5ish acts on this poster, some of which of those 5 can be seen once a year in your nearest town anyway.

I agree as you said. 'I think it’s finally detached from line up driven sales, it’s all about the experience and music is very very secondary'

If that's the case, can they not just give us a good lineup that people who actually enjoy music can like then instead?

Post edited by dav09 on

"music is very very secondary" - if this is indeed the case (and I doubt it, vast maj of people are going for the music) then the sooner the festival folds the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think we had called this a few years ago. EP is just an "event" that people attend regardless of what's going on, similar to the Galway races or the ploughing. Now how long they can maintain this goodwill is another question. I am really intrigued at how the sales for '25 will go, just to see if indeed people do vote with their wallets or not.

every country has local acts that are extremely popular and have no cultural impact outside their home country. Ireland has the likes of kodaline, picture this and uk acts can be popular here like gerry cinnamon who could be a mid card if even at rockwerchter. Similarly I’ve been at rockwerchter where a Belgium artist was sub headliner to RHCP and had absolutely insane audience but he probably couldn’t sell out whelans upstairs here.
    EP is the only festival Noah is headlining in europe and as per Melvin that was a “get”. I’m sure Noah kahan will be headlining a bunch of festivals in 2025 throughout Europe.
    MCD has in my opinion wrongly decided this summer to do more big headline shows for big acts, personally don’t think Liam Gallagher should have done Limerick and instead would have worked at EP.

Music for the masses and causal listener is what EP, it’s not for devoted music fans.
    it’s not trying to be or ever could be the Irish primavera.
    primavera is a destination music festivals for music fans around europe to flock to and even that model is falling in last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Gary_dunne

It's an unfortunate reality for I'd say at the very least 50% of the crowd the music is now secondary to the Festival experience. I know plenty of people who go and barely see any acts bar the few main headliners, it's a camping trip with mates and cans that has the option of limitless music if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭flasher0030

There is truth to Fanirish's comment. In the chats that I have had with people attending this year, I was on about the crap line-up, and in every conversation it has been mentioned it's not about the music. That's its a great occasion. And these are adults. I think that is even more the case with tiktokkers, Instagramers - who are more into being at the occasion than actually enjoying the occasion. With Spotify, many of the younger generation don't get into albums as much as was done previously. The main songs will be picked out, and the remaining tunes can be just forgotten about. They will happily go along to EP in great anticipation to Noah Kahans performance, but yet knowing only one song. That is enough for them to enjoy his set, as they are getting their one song, and they are in the EP environment. For the rest of, say his set for example, they will be chatting with friends, on phones, getting drink etc. They will sing along to Sticks, and afterwards will say how brilliant he was. Same with Kodaline and All I Want.

I havent a ticket yet. I'll wait until the few days beforehand. If the weather is decent, there is probably enough on the lineup for me to see me through each day. I'll need to see the proper line up and set times first to see what clashes.

If Reading/Leeds were sold out i'd back you mate. But theyre not and the dial ain't moving on them soon.

This theorem that capacity increases mean a quality decrease is ráiméis. Helen Keller could tell you that if Kodaline are your festivals headliner someone made a hames of it. The midcard on this years announcement is a hollow as an election promise.

honestly Galway races comparison is kinda spot on to a large point. People who care about horse racing/betting as % of attendees is probably in the minority whereas the majority are there for buzz, drinking, Craic and sure if they win some money every day even better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

Lineup i horrendous for me too but it is about the craic and escaping the rat-race for the weekend, we have more craic at the tents than inside the arena (and im not exactly a tiktok-er im 50!!!) this is the recurring conversation post line-up every year as far as i can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭rubick

I'm afraid I need the music.

Just about scraped a weekend out of 2022, and there was much more on the initial poster than this years.

I thought last year was excellent tbh which makes this abomination all the more painful.

Advertisement