Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dav09

I'm with you all they way but might be difficult dealing with the acts that arrive via helicopter!

I have absolutely 0 idea how he is headlining anything to be honest, in scotland he is popular but somehow gets headliner spots at R&L with 1.4mn avg spotify plays, it's not too difficult to dodge his music (thankfully) he doesn't get huge amounts of play. Worse than Noah and that's saying a lot. I'm banking on the fact that having Noah, Gerry Cinnamon, Catfish, Lana, Peggy Gou, Fontaines, Hannah Laing, J Hus and Kneecap along with the usual suspects like Belters Only would make up the worst and blandest tier 1 and 2 this country has ever seen so they won't include them all. I've seen all of the last 7 acts mentioned there and can't say any were amazing at all and most were actually fairly rubbish, I'd probably take Fontaines and Lana but that's about it. Maybe Peggy Gou but not as a headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

From my quick bit of googling he seems to be from Glasgow, so I can see him just being a hometown hero who can draw a crowd in Scotland and get prestigious billing as a result. R&L is a bit more of a head-scratcher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 parts5829

Agree with this, the names you mentioned are very likely to appear imo. Any thoughts on Stormzy being on the lineup? He was mentioned a while ago but not sure if he's likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Ah Paddy cmon. We should be prostrate in front of Belvo in thanks for the work he's done in securing such historic talent.

Likely yeah, if he is booked as exclusive to something here then it's probably nailed on for EP with him playing a lot of festivals like Pukklepop and Szgiet. Have also seen him too and wouldn't be the worst booking I actually thought he was fairly decent surprisingly, however was told his show has much changed since I seen him and less hip-hop orientated. There are much better UK rappers out there but if we got him, 4 or 5 bland acts and 3 or 4 really good acts in the upper tiers I would be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

Gerry seemed to be huge in Ireland pre pandemic anyway and was constantly played on the radio. I'd be more surprised about Catfish being high on the bill, they pulled a pretty small main stage crowd last time they played and that was at the height of their popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

He got a big crowd when he played EP, I think it was 2019. He has a few good songs and put on a decent show.

Post edited by nc6000 on

He did a 3 Arena gig a long while back and a Malahide show (which I'm fairly sure didn't sell out) which was delayed due to covid until 2022 but his popularity has long passed his peak 5 or so years ago, and even at his peak here he wasn't anywhere huge and never heard him on radio rotation like the likes of Noah is now. Sam Fender is another one I don't know how he's headlining anything given his popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Huge crowd last time was cutting across them as they left and there was definitely a crush risk at the time

"I'm banking on the fact that having Noah, Gerry Cinnamon, Catfish, Lana,
    Peggy Gou, Fontaines, Hannah Laing, J Hus and Kneecap along with the
    usual suspects like Belters Only would make up the worst and blandest
    tier 1 and 2 this country has ever seen so they won't include them all. "

Full agreement - by some distance the worst EP line up so far and a poor indictment for the 20th anniversary. An utterly miserable accomplishment from the booking team/organisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Far be it from me to be jumping in for Melvin et al but our sources thusfar are on the sketchy side. I'll wait for the actual announcement before trashing the whole operation. It's most likely a 'when' rather than an 'if' scenario but nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Ive no dog in this fight as I haven't been to a Picnic since 2018 and won't be going this year either, but I do think even the undercards the last few years have relied heavily on how good alternate Irish music is these days, without a whole lot of imagination beyond that. So the likes of CMAT, Kneecap, Fontaines make perfect sense as acta just below headline status now, while presumably some of the Scratch, Kojaque, Lankum, Kean Kavanagh, Gilla Band, Just Mustard, The Murder Capital, Saint Sister, Thumper, David Kitt, Jape, Altered Hours etc. will fill out a good bit of the tiers below that.

Not the most imaginative, but I'm sure there'll be a few surprises in there too. Justice seem like a good shout, would be a great booking and they haven't been back to Ireland for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hello Bad Turtle haven't seen your input on this thread for a long time, I hope you are keeping well.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Would anyone be surprised if the top 6 was Khan, Cinnamon, Smith, Lana, Gou, Fontaines?

I wouldnt. In general i think its a bit of a dud year internationally, and EP is going through significant transformation.

How are you getting on BD? I don't have to ask if you're hyped about the impending lineup. Any hope of an Aphex Twin announcement this time around? 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭crl84

The top 6 spots, now apparently referred universally to as "headliners" are of a much lower standard than even a few years ago when we had 3 clear headliners. These days for EP, a 3Arena headline gig with lots of people screaming along to lyrics, is apparently enough to be a "headliner".

Basically now we have 6 acts, some of which are clearly just sub-headliners, but will be billed in the same font on the poster, and people will refer to them all as "headliners".

Gerry Cinnamon will be on the second line, and will not be the main act on the main stage on the day he's on.

But his logo might be the same size as those above him, so people will sh1te on about him being a "headliner".

The only way Cinnamon is an actual, traditional headliner, is if FR have an absolute nightmare, and can't book pretty much anyone bigger, no matter how hard they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Would agree on most from there but saint sister seem to be on an indefinite hiatus these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Gary_dunne

No idea of the age demographic of regular posters here but for context, I'm 31 gf is 28, if the lineup came out and was Noah Kahan, PeggyGou, Stormzy, Gerry Cinamon, Lana and Paolo Nutini/Sam Smith she and her large group of friends going would be delighted.

Would I be happy as a first timer at EP, not a chance but from what I've heard with the amount that goes on at EP would it be the end of the world? Not at all.

From reading the regular poster most don't appear to want to go to main stage or see many headliners so I really don't understand the negativity if you more than likely wouldn't be seeing the headliners anyway.

I'm just looking forward to a good first large festival hopefully in the sun that Wild Roots has had the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not so much, his time was last year and I took the trouble to fly over to Field Day festival to see him as there was no dates to see him in Ireland. You know yourself, Aphex tours in two or three year cycles and usually one venue per country although he deviated last year for UK and played two venues, no doubt other Irish fans made it to one of these gigs.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Oh dear, I'm not liking this potential line-up at all however much speculation is attached to it.

What happened to the big act they wanted for this year which caused the change in dates?

• Advertisement

Appears that artist is LDR. A credibility-free suggestion, but thats the line it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The negativity to the acts most of us won't actually see stems from the lack of imagination in picking them, some of the folks feel (rightly) that for the cash being splashed, they could have better picks.

But that said, they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to shift the tickets for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭glennponder

Am still not having that....don't care how popular she currently is or whatever it would have to be a more iconic act like U2, AC/DC even Madonna to warrant moving the festival for

Indeed.

Assembling a festival line up to appeal to this poster's girlfriend is something an AI could do (with all due respect).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The absolute neck of you Gary, if that's even your real name, coming in here and providing 'context'. 😉

You are of course absolutely correct and ye'll have a ball. Everyone is entitled to listen to whatever shite they like. The average age in here is 84 and the shite most of us like is different from the shite your girlfriend likes. We've reached the age where we know better than everyone else and very much enjoy trashing modern life and all it's trappings. Once they give us a small tent full of people playing guitars loudly, we'll actually be happy to smile benevolently at you young folk prancing about to Gerry Kahan and Noah Lipa and all the other young stuff. If it's your first picnic, you'll be blown away, it's a magical world. Just remember to be nice to the old folk dad dancing to the Smiths in the forest.

I'm 26 and can say for certainty a large (majority) of friends and acquaintances stopped going over the past few years due to lineup (almost all, and most aren't like myself who will do probably 4/5 festivals a year on average). As I said, I've some bit of confidence that FR will not want it to become a generic snooze fest as they will pigeonhole themselves when those 'trendy' acts fall out of fashion. I will say 2018 was the ideal balance which is exactly what the festival should be all about which is what grew it to where it was. It had loads of generic acts like Picture this, George Ezra, some early bookings for acts that would now be headliners like Dua Lipa, Jorja Smith, Dermot Kennedy, Peggy Gou, Raye and then just a world class booking of Kendrick Lamar, on top of so many good down the tiers incl. The Prodigy, NERD, Gargabe, The Blaze, Jungle, Wolf Alice the list could go on and on. They used to book super credible acts, and while they still do, I do worry if the upper tiers are completely filled with rubbish it will eventually lose it's appeal to a lot of us who see a lot of the other acts at festivals here/ at EP previously anyway.

I'd imagine the change of date probably has a few other factors involved, probably suits the organisers to move it closer in some ways as well. But yeah, you'd expect a decent sized act of a greater calibre than what's being mooted here if it really is being suggested that's the main reason. I could see Dua Lipa being that kind of act, if she is available. Can't stick on a radio station the last four years without hearing one of her songs. Which is personally far more palatable than Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Noah whosits or Gerry thisandthat.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I get that it's not imaginative by any stretch of the imagination and if it is the AI generated lineup as Wooderson suggests (no offence taken at all), I would be disappointed apart from Sormzy especially for my first EP when comparing it to previous lineups.

A lot of people going to EP aren't necessarily going for the acts they're going for a multitude of reasons ie, having a weekend session, friends of theirs are going etc, the acts are just the added bonus hence it selling out immediately without an act even rumoured.

Just remember to be nice to the old folk dad dancing to the Smiths in the forest.

More chance of me being there with you than at Gerry or Noah!

I don't think any of these were ever realistic or reasonable - even with the "move" of the festival weekend.

Fest Repub lose enormo credibility if they suggest entire festival weekend shifted to accommodate a performer who has previously headlined this event 6 iterations ago. Betrays significant weakness at heart of the market here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The negativity regarding the main stage is that it sets the tone for the festival and effectively decides who FR will book next year and what demographic will buy tickets. Thus if there are three bland headliners (to me a headliner is the main act not the one below them. There are NOT six headliners. Eg Coldplay are headlining Glasto not PJ Harvey or LCD preceding them) then FR will feel free to rinse and repeat in 2025, etc.

The main stage has delivered plenty of decent main stage acts over the years, even in the past five festivals - Tame Impala, Arctic Monkeys, Strokes, Killers, Duran Duran, A Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick Lamar, Garbage, Chic, Billie Eilish, Chaka Khan, Gomez, Ash, Pretenders, Christine & the Queens, Madness, Produgy, Massive Attack, NERD, Phoenix and loads of others I’ve forgotten.

We know there’ll be loads of crap on the main stage but we don’t want it to be a no-go area. One decent headliner, the odd heritage act and a smattering of decent acts ain’t too much to ask for. From circa 18-20 slots I’d be happy with 3/4 goodies on the main stage.

Advertisement