Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭dav09

This exactly, much better articulated that I have tried to do previous. You'd be shocked with the amount of people in their teens and early 20s that I know who really enjoyed those gigs mentioned when they went to them at EP even if their usual music tastes were generic pop, indie, etc. But exactly, it sets precedence and heads us down a road where a lot of us might as well not bother going as it will get to the stage where there be better acts at other festivals in Ireland.

There's a lot of negativity about potential lineups so I'm going to wait until we actually know to really decide. FR ain't stupid, they're part of pretty much the biggest festival promotion company in the world and won't want to mess this up like they have done with plenty of festivals previous tat have come and gone. Very few major festivals (in fact pretty much none) have stood the test of time for just appealing to one audience, especially not a proper music and arts festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fantastic post. The day the view that "oh people don't go to the main stage" becomes dogmatic, i'm out. Main stage acts hugely important. We wouldnt have EP's stature (at least up to now) without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 parts5829

I think they've kind of set themselves up for any announcement just being a let down to a lot of people. It will be very difficult for the line up to wow anyone now as it's been left so late, we can all easily speculate who's available and who isn't due to the comparison of every other summer gig in 2024. I'd be delighted with LDR as she's great live so I think she's a good option but she's played it before and has already announced for multiple other European festivals so she hardly seems like a shock addition. Clearly they don't care anyways as they've sold all of the tickets.

Also, where did the rumour/statement of "moving the dates for a huge act" come from? Did FR explicitly say it or was it just randomly made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think it was a Melvin Benn interview to the media where he announced the festival dates moving.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Mucker46

That was early on then said easier to book acts and no reference to it being for a particular act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Spot on. Also one of the worst sets i ever had the misfortune to witness one song of. Literally could've been any random pisshead from the campsite with an acoustic guitar. However, the identikit kids were going crazy for him.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Modest Mouse rereleasing Good News for it's 20th anniversary. Gigs in North America up to end of June. Wee tour here stopping at EP??? Far more likely to be a standalone gig I know. Their gig in the academy was one of the best I was ever at, their one in the Helix was possibly the worst because of sound issues

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭crl84

If its easier to book acts then I don't see why they're already saying it will move back to Sept in 2025.

Either it's for a specific act, for easy of logistics with Coldplay during the normal weekend, or FR are going to come out after this year's festival and say what a great success it was and that will be the new weekend from now on, despite what they're currently saying.

SSaying Moving back I suspect on the uproar from locals on it clashing with harvesting. If I remember correctly they at one stage were saying thinking of moving to new date in future but have backtracked on that. All a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Modest Mouse 8 lines down the poster is exactly the kind of sight that will perk me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Sam Fender is ginormous. Immensely popular act and will headline Glastonbury in the next couple years.

Gerry Cinnamon sold out Malahide in 2022 iirc and also played Musgrave Park and Belsonic that year

i suppose depends what your definition of 'ginormous' is. 😂 I'll definitely disagree with that if so he'd be in the same category as The Killers, Blur, Lana, Eilish. One fella with 1.6mn avg monthly Spotify streams and the other with 5mn clearly are no global superstars. Niall Horan has 3 times that and I wouldn't call him that either. Fender has had a MIGHTY one UK Top 40 single up until the feature on that Noah Kahan track which is is second. Neither of them having headlined much that big besides R&L which is bizarre as I already mentioned. Let's put it this way none of them will be (thankfully) playing Croke Park anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

Maybe they just moved the date because it was easier to book acts that way alongside Reading & Leeds, I suppose the Coldplay gigs didn't help either. Saying you're moving it because of one particular act is a bit of a fumble even if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭thebusher

Wow! We've become quite the musical snobs here haven't we.

Saw Sam Fender at Glastonbury a couple of years back not knowing anything about him and what a set he put on. Quite a backstory to him and he's got the songwriting chops too. Saw him support Springsteen in Rome last year and again blew me away , proving it was no fluke.

Anyone actually listened to Gerry Cinnamon's lyrics apart from Belter and Canter? Doesn't sound like it from what I'm reading. His appearance a few years back was amazing, A very professional, on the money main stage set.

Both of these, in my opinion, put some heritage and headline/sub headline acts to shame with their phoned in performances.

Can only imagine the reactions back in the day of some on here to the likes of The Clash, The Jam etc 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

If the act you're moving it for is one of the biggest at the moment then it's hardly a fumble, it's a pain in the hole but an understandable one.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

Caught a bit of Sam at EP and agree with you very good live. Gerry didn't do the same for me though.

Are you saying the clash and the jam are playing😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Saw Sam F at malahide castle last year - great gig, him and his sound are made for a a big stage

i don't like their music but never mentioned anything about them critically, I know Fender is highly regarded but think some people seem to feel he's a big superstar and that's thats not the case. At very best sub headliner in today's world, maybe who knows how big he will grow but at this point in time, as I pointed out he was getting huge huge slot at R&L somehow, and Cinnamon should be below that but you know what way festival standards have went.

A example of Spotify listeners not really meaning anything. Guy sold out St James Park for 2 nights in a few seconds basically. Plus sold out Malahide and Belfast here. Whenever he drops his 3rd album it’s going to be a massive affair. He isn’t really an international star I suppose, certainly hasn’t broke America yet but he’s had several hit songs here and is easily the biggest British rock act since Arctic Monkeys. He’s easily in the same category as Eilish, not so much Blur, Lana or The Killers but that’s a time thing as much as anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I think you've got Eilish the wrong way round there, she's far bigger than Blur and co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Stillill42

In fairness, there's been minimal Sam Fender bashing, just a mild musing on whether he's headliner material. The bemusement as to the possibility of Gerry Cinnamon being a headliner is completely understandable in my opinion. Nobody would bat an eye at him appearing in the general second tier scrum but If he's in the top 2 lines, we're not trying hard enough.

In fairness he is from Newcastle so having a big hometown gig/gigs is to be expected, likewise with a lot of artists here, look at Picture This for example with 3 nights in the 3 Arena, but you're comparing apples and oranges with that comparison overall I know. Besides Seventeen going under I can't name one song off the radio, but maybe that's me. I'm not a big fan of Billie Eilish but actually really enjoyed the gig at EP, my sense she really is a global superstar and will play a huge venue here in the future, both albums being number 1 everywhere and avg of 65mn monthly Spotify streams to 5mn says otherwise, although you mention spotify streams aren't any indicator, on a global level vs Irish popularity level with it is hard to tell. There's been very little really good/big British rock acts since The Arctic Monkeys unfortunately, although surely there's been as big since they formed in 2002, that's a big statement. Its really difficult to compare acts from the mid 2000's to mid 2020s to be fair/quantify their size, there's been loads of bands pre-streaming era that were big and have somewhat died off like Hard Fi, Mumford & Sons, Alt-J, Foals, Bastille I'm sure I'm forgetting loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭rockterrain

In fairness to Gerry Cinnamon versus a Noah Kahan say he puts on a show, gets the crowd going and his songs have a bit of a umph factor. Regardless of tastes (and agree he'd be a bit weak as a headliner) it would nevertheless end the day in a fitting way.

Another one for the rumour mill Feeder have a gap in their festival tour schedule on 16 and 17 August (and they're in UK on 18th). Could be another nice counter-balancer! We can still dream..

I first read that as *Fender to counter balance Cinnamon instead of Feeder.

Sam Fender sold out Finsbury Park in London in 2022 as well. As I said he sold out Belsonic and Malahide last summer without putting out any new music. Not remotely like Picture This and as I also said he will be headlining Glastonbury soon, perhaps with a date in Marlay Park here.

Yes I read that and if you reread what I said that's that exactly what I said re:Picture This in Ireland. Headlining Glastonbury is speculative at best. And he put out a new album/singles end of 2021/start of 2022 so saying he hadn't put out any new music isn't is exactly true. It's Iike saying Hozier had huge gigs here and is semi-big in the UK also playing Finsbury Park/Marlay this year or nearly the reverse so to speak, but isn't headlining many festivals outside of where he's from they're a similar level comparatively, as I said just about might make the sub headliner category at a festival here like Hozier did. The Wolf Tones/Bicep also playing Finsbury this year. Anyway you obviously enjoy his music each to their own I dont want to be going over the same thing over and over nor debating this at all but he's not in the stratosphere as thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭jams100

Picture this actually sold 5 nights in the 3Arena about 4 or 5 yrs back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Forbidden fruit bringing out more lineup and day splits tomorrow.

If EP are going to announce something it's Friday or nothing till next week

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Phishwax

Gerry is lowest common denominator stuff. Shite pub music

• Advertisement

Sam Fender headlining Glastonbury next year is a very strong likelihood , not speculative at best. He’s every bit as big as Billie Eilish here and the only reason he hasn’t done more big dates is he’s only had 2 albums out.

He put out some offcuts from album 2 in 2022, he wasn’t touring brand new material in 2023.

I didn’t say I enjoy his music, I don’t enjoy Gerry Cinnamon either (or Noah Kahan), but it’s laughable when people deny their immense popularity and say that they are only sub headliners at best.

Advertisement