Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

I don't like Cahill's comments. They aren't going to draw any sort of reaction from the players.

He is as much to blame for this as the players are.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KClon11

Agreed. He seemed to have a go at Derek McGrath in it aswell for some odd reason after his team were just bet off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

is the criticising of Cahill here warranted ….big efforts put into getting him and lots of tipp supporters calling for his appointment ….long and short of it is this is a poor tipp team …players have the skill but don’t appear to have the dog in them for tough battles …leadership on field questionable too ….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I would have to go back to the club game in Tipp. A Tipp club hasn't won an All Ire since 1987. Borriskeigh only club to get to an All Ireland final in decades couple years back as far as i know. Now i have enjoyed the Tipp finals lately on TG4 some real entertaining competetive games with a spread of different winners but are these finals masking over an overall poor quality of senior club hurling in the county?

Limerick have a once in a lifetime group of players. Kilkenny probably the most competetive club championship has the players battle hardened every single year. They may have lost last two All Ireland to Limerick but put up a good fight.

Galway probably next strongest club championship even if Thomas' have dominated lately.

I don't think Willie Connors, Bonnar Maher would get near a Limerick, Kilkenny or Galway intercounty set up but he won the Tipp championship with Kiladangan as one of their best players.

Does the Tipp championship test the players enough and sharpen their hurling up enough? Could this be part of the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭farmerval

Cahill had to be appointed, his success with underage teams, and the fact the players he won all Ireland's with are now coming through I think there was little choice.

If we are as bad next week then Cahill is gone and the search for a manager starts again.

We have to win next week and hope we can turn over Cork in Thurles. No way can I see us beating Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Hard to know what Waterford will turn up next week. I'm sure Tipperary will be better but that wouldn't be hard. Cahill and Bevans have a brand of hurling that's great to watch underage and in a free flowing handy match. Once the middle is blocked then it all comes to a juddering halt. And the tactic of a corner back trying to round a corner forward..bizarre. what's the point.. if he does get around the corner forward hes under duress and the next pass is poor. Just pass it out . The puck outs were awfull aswell. But the lack of power is very evident. He doesn't have the physical players in that squad. You can't make a slight fella into a powerful man.. you can make him stronger and fitter but you can't match an O Donoghue with a O Connor .. the 2 McGraths legs are well gone

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭1373

Your probably right , we don't have the players. Compare the 16 /19 winning teams and you'll find no Paudie , seamie , Noel , Bubbles , Bonnar, Brendan Maher . Most of today's team wouldn't get on those winning teams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Another thing that really pissed me off, we didn't use our last sub until the 68 minute or something. How could you have watched that and sat on your final sub that long… mother a god…

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jimmythesulk

This is it, the Kilkenny junior hurling club championship would be of a higher standard than the tipp senior club championship. The standard of clubs in the tipp championship is so poor.

That's amazing considering Tipp have two all irelands since ye last one one. And both those finals we tore Kilkenny apart. You keep out doing yourself, Jimmy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭newhouse87

JAysus didn't see many tipp lads on kilkenny thread after last year's all ireland.Worry about yereselves. Ye getting bet in every national final ye play. Near 10years since last all ireland so Ye can leave out the salt rubbing.

And don't even have the stomach to put together a senior football side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i genuinely think its shadow boxing , but with cahill who knows , i cant imagine hitting thurles at the end of may with only 6 or 7 thousand around with tipp out of the championship but it is possible the way ye are talking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I find this a absolutely bizarre take.

This is the 4th abject display in a row in knock out hurling including the league semi-final.

I have never seen a shadow boxing Munster championship match with something at stake. There was absolutely no reason whatsover not to go bald headed for Limerick today. None.

its more clutching at straws , surly tipperary anr not this bad

to back up the claim that there never has been a shadow boxing munster championship game , look at clare and the all smiling happy everybody loves dalo

we lost one year 3-19 to1-08 to waterford , a few weeks later we brought kilkenny in there prime to a replay and only lost by a point , the same thing happened the following year against cork in 2005 in the all ireland semi final

Well, I don't know if you're trolling or not. But it was that bad beyond bad. Clearly, it was.

Zero shadow boxing going on. Just poor belief, poor energy, poor commitment, and poor judgement. It was cat beyond cat. Catmageddon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What part of any of that is shadow boxing?

Getting hammered out of the Munster championship and playing well in the qualifiers 10 weeks later doesnt mean ye were "shadow boxing".

Tipp were hammered by Cork in Munster in 2010 in the first round and won the AI that year stopping the 5 in a row. Again no shadow boxing.

• Advertisement

i am not that was dalys way,look back at our qualifier runs between 2002 and 2007 only once did we not make an all ireland 1/4 final and we probably lost the first round of munster every year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Based on the last three meaningful matches that Tipp have played, yesterday, the league semi final and Last year's do or die championship match against Waterford, I think Colm Bonnar is owed a huge apology.

I forgot, add in last year's qualifier against Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It feels like when you play Limerick, all bets are off as they are so far ahead of everyone.

You can judge this team after the Waterford game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

this team and players will be judged on last few years …..big underachievers ..team not as good as they or is think they are …no mental toughness o dog in them when going gets tough or they need to grind out a result ….has people already calling for Cahill’s head after the huge clamour to get him …will take more than a manager to get this team back challenging for trophies again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

In fairness to Cahill u can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭randd1

from the outside looking in, I have to say there's a pang of Waterford 2022 off this Tipp team in so far as they look like once the championship started, they looked physically wrecked and just couldn't muster the energy to compete.

The same against Clare in the league SF, there was no fizz about the team, the build up play was slow, lads weren't moving when they should, didn't use the space. There's a lack of energy there.

I thought Tipp have looked stuck to the ground for going on a year now, that the likes of Mark Kehoe, Jason Forde and a few other had bulked up too much and they've lost a bit of mobility, especially their ability turn on a sixpence they always had.

And normally the stick work and hands with a Tipperary team is top notch, but since the Waterford game last year really, the poor catching, taking the ball on the stick instead of the hand, slow striking. How many times were Tipp blocked down yesterday when shooting for scores? Normally the hands would have been quick enough that they'd have been over the bar before the opposition player fully raised the hurl.

Granted, Limerick will do that to most teams when they're on fire, but Tipp looked like they were over-trained and under-coached yesterday, but that's only following on from Waterford onwards last season.

I think Cahill has got the preparation of this team all wrong, from a lot of angles.

You'd could argue that it's a lack of quality of player, but a lot of these Tipp players have U21/U20 AI titles, minor titles, senior medals in the pocket. They can't be bad hurlers if they have that in them. And the Waterford side of 2022 certainly was a panel brimming with talent, better than this Tipp side. And yet come the Munster round robin, flat, tired and out of sync. Just like Tip now.

Tipp look jaded, mentally and physically, over the last few games. If Waterford play anywhere near their potential, you'd be expecting them to win. The biggest saving grace for Tipp going forward is that Waterford most certainly are not Limerick and won't steamroll them so Tipp are well within a shout there, and if they beat Waterford that Cork may be gone by the time they play them so it might be easier for them in that one.

But I can't help but get the feeling looking at Tipp over the past year that they're under-couched and over-trained. Not a good place to be facing the bear pit that is Munster after a bad start.

No you can judge them on their last three championship performances, one worse than the other. Limerick weren't even playing that well in the first half yesterday and yet we still missed score able frees with little wind. We failed to win high balls, our own puckouts, at nothing we were. BTW I'm not casting blame on anyone I know the commitment required from players and management but after yesterday something radical has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Quitelife

How many teams play senior hurling in Tipperary ??….too many is the answer. Theres only 12 senior clubs in Limerick but a very even competive championship and the next 8 teams play in an ultra competitive premier intermediate championship which is a far better model to bring up players than half the county thinking their senior players .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

That sounds like the Kilkenny championship format. Think they have something like 12 Senior, 12 Intermediate and 12 Junior. All very competetive. I know Tipp have more clubs but sounds like there is a lot of sub standatd senior clubs outside the top 5 or 6 clubs. Tipp had a golden crop of talent from 2008 up to recently when Paudraic and Brendan Mahrr and Seamus Callinan retired. Maybe this masked how average the club standard was. But McGraths and Bonner Maher not long left and who knows when next golden crop come around.

Advertisement