Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not Bloomfield this morning…. four cars (one a taxi and one ironically a motorway service vehicle) had the usual tailgating pileup when the first one started to brake suddenly.

But it was where the second westbound Douglas onramp meets the N40, so not the usual spot at all.

There was nearly a second identical crash along the N25 this morning as tailgating cars all braked due to a lorry pulling out to overtake a tractor. Much skidding.

The more I see of these accidents its tailgating. Nothing more than that.Tailgating, aggression, silly merging causing tailgating cars to brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Traffic on the N28 on ramp at Maryborough Hill, coming up and down the hill, which I have never seen/haven’t seen in a long time. A big problem was the second people got to the end of the ramp and onto the merge lane, they were trying to merge. No one (except me) would go to the end of the lane and seamlessly merge in. It led to a standstill as cars were braking trying to squeeze in at the start of the lane. As discussed, same happens at the merge of N28 (specifically the right hand lane) and N40. Everytime I go to the end of the lane and I get in easily without having to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The only trouble with the latter (and its common at Mahon eastbound in particular) is that people come to the end of the merge and just barge in, without let nor care as to who might be in the way.

Oh definitely, I should have made it clear I still do it safely, and yield to traffic on the mainline. I always dread driving past the J10 on ramp eastbound, same with the N27 at its junction with Mick Barry Road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Had my first experience coming from Carrigtwohill towards the tunnel yesterday. Thank god I mostly work from home, is all I can say. It's probably been discussed to death here, but those 3 lanes merging into 1 right before the tunnel is a certifiable nightmare. Spent 20 minutes alone there on a 100m stretch and then the rest of the trip was fine.

The worst part is there's probably no way to avoid it apart from widening the tunnel, which obviously isn't gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Not sure what time you were at but there was an accident between Mahon and Bloomfield after 6 that slowed everything down, wonder is the mile or so between Mahon / Bloomfield / Douglas Flyover statistically the most accident prone area in the country? Certainly feels like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

It was about 5.15.

As far as I could tell, it was just the 3 lanes merging that was causing the delay. As soon as I got past that and it was single-file closer to the tunnel, traffic was completely free-flowing. Only a handful of cars up the Mahon off-ramp etc.

Did anyone email the Road Construction team about the signage in the scheme? And if so, did anyone get a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

No. Main reason is that I'm waiting until I have a photo of all of the bad signage, and I haven't had a chance yet to photograph the signs on the N25W. But I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I've just spent a few minutes watching the N40 North of Tunnel camera feed.

As could be expected, at 9.15pm on a Saturday evening quite a bit of the traffic is heading for the M8. During the few minutes watching I counted six cars making the last minute dive from lane 1 across lane 2, to get to the M8.

While us locals have sussed that only lane 2 facilitates safe access to the M8 the sh1te direction signs seem to be definitely catching out the visitors.

Post edited by niloc1951 on

• Advertisement

What do they actually do in the tunnel when it’s closed? I feel it has been closed almost every weeknight for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

If you drive through the tunnel on any dry day, watch out for damp patches at the deepest part of it.

It is water ingress and they are trying to keep treating it, as timeis going by it is becoming more intense.

There is a long term plan to replace the tunnel with a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wouldn't believe a word of it. It's not mentioned in any plan anywhere that I know of, and we've just spent €200m+ on a new interchange there that is designed around the tunnel and is not compatible with a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Only new bridge planned is the Tivoli to Marina one. "Gateway Bridge".

Tunnel is staying.

Hopefully the council see sense and make the gateway bridge sustainable transport only, but right now it's footpath, bike, bus, general traffic on each side, and that wide street configuration continues down centre park road.

You must not have seen the words " long term plan "

I did and I asked where is this plan? I've never seen it in any strategic plans. CMATS makes no mention of it. Where is it mentioned?

A public transport and pedestrian bridge is supposed to form part of the Luas across from Kent station to the south docks but I'd say there's more chance of pigs flying than those projects going ahead any time in the next few decades.

Crossed wires, I'm talking about further downstream. From approx. Tivoli skew bridge directly to Center Park road, at around a 45 degree angle to the river. The one you're describing there hasn't been considered for car traffic thankfully.

• Advertisement

The Luas bridge will probably remain dead or dormant for a long time, as the councillors apparently kept asking the NTA and Luas teams to factor cars in the Luas plans, and the NTA and Luas teams did the sensible thing and walked away from the Cork Luas project.

That leaves the Eastern Gateway Bridge, which the Council is adamant that they are progressing and the Bus Connects teams are factoring it into their route designs. HOWEVER, word has it that a new part 8 is landing at Tivoli skew bridge in the next week or so…which may or may not reference the Eastern Gateway Bridge - we will see!

Frankly, I hope the Eastern Gateway Bridge is delayed as long as possible, until the Council has the right political environment to make it sustainable transport only. As someone who generally approaches the city from the East, I can tell you I'd drive that bridge almost every time to get into the city faster, and with all bus routes now through the train station (great!), it'd primarily facilitate unsustainable getting right into the city centre. Frankly I'd rather no bridge rather than what they're proposing (that's speaking as someone who would benefit from it!). What they need is sustainable downstream crossings: another car bridge in/at the city seems like a retrograde step: we don't particularly want cars in the city centre, so why would we go to such lengths to facilitate them? Let them use the tunnel or one of the other bridges - it'll be no slower than public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Wherever they put the downstream bridge I hope it is built in a way to facilitate leisure traffic on the river to reach the city.

Berthing facilities in the city for boutique cruise ships, yachts and othertypes of boating activity would greatly enhance attractiveness of the public realm environment of the redeveloped old port.

It is a shame that one cannot even mention something said in a conversation now without links to it online.

Neverlone being ridiculed for it.

I have no doubt the tunnel like most infrastructures as it, has an expected life span

A poster mentioned earlier the tunnel appears to be closing more often, I have to apologise to you all, you have become so annoyed by my sheer arrogance to mention something I was told during a conversation by someone in the know.

What you've mentioned is fairly significant and flies in the face of all long-term strategies and publications so that makes it extremely interesting to people reading. I don't think you're being ridiculed, rather you're being quizzed for detail because it's so significant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes infrastructure has a lifespan. It's usually around a century. The JLT has been open 25 years. It may be over capacity, but it's nowhere near end of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think it depends what you mena by "city centre". To me that means keeping cars out of the central island, and this bridge would do that. People travelling from Mayfield to Turners Cross for example, this takes cars around the central island and city hall area.

It's possible we're at cross-purposes. You're perhaps thinking about the current city centre environment but in the long term Centre Park road is planned to be heavily residential and offices and the plan is to put a tram through the middle of it. It is planned for Centre Park Road to be very much city centre. That's what the new bridge is intended to facilitate.

So plugging a new arterial road through that environment could be bad:

1. It would make the residential neighbourhood itself less desirable (noise, pollution, views, etc)
    2. It would make walking and cycling less attractive
    3. It would undermine the new tram system

The car traffic should be able to access the city, but crossing the city the way you describe should ideally be the job of either sustainable transport or the arterial road network (which isn't yet fully finished, of course!). Mayfield cars can access Turner's cross via N8/N40/N27 rather than crossing the city. It's currently faster that "external" arterial way, so why would we put in a new bridge, changing that, improving the exact drive we're trying to discourage?

I'm in favour of a bridge, just don't think allowing cars on it will work out well. And I'm reasonably confident that people won't YET accept a new bridge without cars.

But basically if we're serious about putting in high density residential and offices at Centre Park road, then that's not very compatible with putting an arterial road through there. I understand why it's being proposed (a dual carriageway into the city centre is what we've always done since the 60's) but it's not a good step for the future. Flood the area with foot, bike, bus, tram, infrastructure instead. And hopefully get the results we keep saying we aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sounds fantastic but not sure how practical it is in a low density city. You'd need every apartment and office to be developed without car parking to not require car access to the area. I'd love to see it, but can't see it happening, and without new access roads it's just going to flood the current access roads

• Advertisement
Advertisement