Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

The greatest benefit appears to be from the M8 Southbound.

For N25 Westbound, I suspect the benefit is less so, particularly at peak times. That is my own observation and I have no stats to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

N25 Westbound, from my commuting experience, is very bad at peak times.

Unfortunately at peak times heading to Dunkettle roundabout and doing a U turn is probably the way to go if you want to get thru the tunnel, especially with Dublin bound traffic no longer hitting that roundabout since the final links opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Has the opening of Link C had a demonstrable effect on traffic levels hitting the Dunkettle roundabout from the east?

Looking at cameras, there are very few vehicles on the N25 east to M8 north movement. I’ve questioned this movement in the past. To me, it’s potentially the least used of the 12 major movements. I can’t see how it is more trafficked than M8 south to City for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Crash at J17 on the M8. Based on the digital signs, you are to get off there to go into Watergrasshill, and I assume back on at Rathcormac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

For some reason (to protect the toll income I imagine) you actually can't enter the M8 northbound at Rathcormac. You can only enter it southbound. So for this diversion people will have to go through Rathcormac and either pay a toll at Fermoy or go through Fermoy town and get on toll-less at the north side of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 janjan182

Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Must have been a very bad crash to have closed the M8 from about 4pm through to 10pm and counting. The usual Bloomfield/N28 shunts are cleared within an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

What is the signposting like? Coming from Clare to get to MATER in near future.

I emailed the road construction email listed on the previous page about how inaccurate and confusing some of the signage is at the scheme and this was their response:

”Thank you for your email below and thank you for taking the trouble to contact us and bringing this item to our attention.

As you may be aware, a detailed directional signage approval process is in place for National Roads and this process was followed on the Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade Scheme. However, your comments are noted and we have brought these comments to the attention of Transport Infrastructure Ireland who operate the approvals system.

We will be in contact with you again on receipt of their follow up comments.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If you're coming via the Limerick road then you can avoid the Dunkettle altogether by just following that road into the city centre, crossing the Christy Ring bridge, driving up the quays and then getting onto the South link road from there which will bring you to Mahon. Any sat nav will be able to sort you out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Alternatively, if you want to avoid crossing the city, you could join the M8 at Mitchelstown or Fermoy. From there you go straight through the Dunkettle Interchange, take the first left on the N40 westbound, take a right at the lights and then right at the third set of lights and you're there. Downside of this is getting from Clare/limerick to the M8, upside is the almost certainty of no delays at the end of your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The least stressful is the N24 Waterford Road from Limerick, after about 7km turn right onto the R513 which will take you the whole way to Mitchelstown where you can pick up the M8, and then it's a straight run down to Mahon.

That way you avoid the sh1te N20 and having to negotiate the Cork city traffic and one-way system.

Has traffic settled down now that all links have been open for a while???

The junction is a huge improvement outside of peak times.

In the evenings traffic is still backed up to Rochestown Park for tunnel northbound traffic, but does move well.

Coming from the East at peak times in the morning is very bad however with the 4 lanes merging to 1 before entering the tunnel.

With the merging issues at Bloomfield it renders the free flow ineffective at the interchange in the mornings with traffic backing up into the tunnel, up the M8 and down the N25.

Sounds like the east will be an issue for a long time then.

I wonder when they'll be fully finished with the "tidy up" works?

I've used M8 South - N40 West and M8 South - N8 City a lot and they've been really good, especially outside of the usual peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I drove eastbound on the N40 towards the tunnel at rush hour this evening. From Broomfield to the tunnel it was very slow and stopped at times.

I think the queueing is the result of a lot of drivers not understanding that the speed limit is back up to the pre works level and are still slowing to 60kmh like it was during construction. If drivers moved a little quicker (within the speed limits) it would help to reduce the development of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh have they finally removed the 60 km/h limit from just beyond Mahon to the tunnel? (I haven't been down in a few weeks).

What's it now then? Is it still 60 when you come out the other side to the M8 North? Can't see that legitimately being much more from the way it's been built. Likewise on the other side coming to the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Huge amount of trees being planted around and in the interchange. Nice to see more than just grass.

As long as thy don't interfere with visibility/sight-lines. There's a lot of "nice looking" roundabouts that you can't see anything beyond on approach - part of the issue being massive (from the perspective of the driver's seat in a saloon) directional arrows for people who don't know what side of the road we drive on here...

Are they 'proper' trees or small sapling looking things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Sorry for the late reply. But I just can't see either road being build or in the case of a NDR, being completely built as it passes areas where nimbyism will be strong. This is a copy/paste of a previous post I wrote regarding the NDR.

'I'm all for the distributor and the NNR but both should have been done before the increase in nimbyism and anti car rhetoric. The distributor will have several flash points for nimbyism: the veer off from the existing nrr over to the Banduff and Rathcooney Roads/ Banduff House expect opposition from residents, westbound from the Kinvara Link Road goes through fields near Murphy's Rock and already this year there has been calls to put a development ban there Locals calling on EU to designate Murphy's Rock an Special Area of Conservation (echolive.ie), Sweeneys Hill the people of Rathpeacon won't be happy that both NRR and the distributor will be cutting through their community in the case of the NRR it will be below An Bothar Dearg, the section from the Blarney Rd, Hollyhill towards and over the Lee also will get some environmentalists upset too especially as the NRR would also require a bridge further west along the Lee.'

If sections of it are built they will be clogged up immediately with traffic as Cork City Council will put traffic lights on every junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭cantalach

They’re saplings, which will grow up into proper trees. The quality of planting along the motorway network in this country has been very good in my opinion. They plant a mixture of species that grow quickly and those that grow more slowly. Within 10 years it should be very lush all around the interchange, as depicted in the CGI renders from 5-6 years ago.

Great, thanks! Hopefully the saplings survive. It looked great in the renders, but is very sterile quite now

I can't believe they still haven't upgraded the signage at Dunkettle Roundabout. They're still using South Ring instead of Westbound, and it directs you to the N25. That's fine for all of us on here but if you're not familiar with the area or the numbering system for roads, it's probably confusing. For example, if you see a sign saying South Ring N25, and then later down the road signs for N25 and N40 Westbound, you'll probably assume that the N25 is for the link, not the N40

I think the response you received a couple of weeks ago indicated the lack of urgency on this. Which is most disappointing. The signage really does need to be looked at and the misleading and inconsistent elements cleared up.

Anyone? I'll be down next weekend but curious as to what the "final" speeds are now. As above I can't see 80 km/h exiting the tunnel to M8 working well given the angle, and equally if it suddenly drops from 80-60 at that point I can see issues too!

Have they gotten rid of the (wayy too far out) 60 approaching from the M8, or is it now 60 at the new interchange, 80 through the tunnel, 100 beyond which to be fair would make the most sense IMO.

I drove it today and from Mahon to just before the tunnel was 100km/h. Then it changed to 80km/h in the tunnel. Although, I swear I saw a random "50km/h in 500m" sign but the actual 50km/h never appeared. Also, going onto the N8 on ramp from the M8 (at the fork between City Centre and Waterford), I could see the N25 was 80km/h. I'm not sure where it goes to 100km/h

I drove it last evening but hadn’t seen your question and was more focussed on the gantry signage when I came out of the tunnel (to see if it had been altered/improved - it hasn’t). So I wasn’t particularly tuned into the speed limit changes, but I think the following is how it is:

1. 100kmh under the Mahon Junction (N40 J10) approaching the tunnel
    2. Drops to 80Kmh on the straight section after the above junction, same place as pre-construction Remains at 80Kmh through tunnel
    3. Unsure if it drops at the exit from the tunnel
    4. I am almost (95%) certain that it does drop to 60Kmh shortly after the demerge exit to Link D (where Link D passes under Link C and the N25 Mainline)
    5. Speed reverts to 100Kmh shortly after the point where Link D, Link C and Link U merge at the start of the M8N

Logically there should be a step up to 80Kmh between points 4 and 5 above but I didn’t notice it if there is

The links listed above are as follows:

• Link C - N25W to M8N
    • Link D - N40E to M8N
    • Link U - N25E to M8N

Feel free to correct the above after you drive through next week if nobody has rubbished my post in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Back in 1996!

• Advertisement

All that space to have filter lanes on each junction of the roundabout from day 1 and they still decided to go with the cheapest option available with a bog standard roundabout.

Advertisement