Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭zerosquared

They may not have directly stated it as their objective like Iran and Russia (Or Yemen who literally have it on their flag) has done but by aiding and joining the Axis scum that is what they are contributing towards. There will come a time when China will need to decide whom is more important, their relationship with Axis countries or their relationship with Western world, and part of that Bill in congress will set the ball rolling on that.

Anyways back to current affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This really is a conversation for another thread (and another forum really) but large economies that have their own central banks are not pocket books. Everything doesn't need to add up and everything doesn't need to be paid back. All of that debt that the Americans have accumulated will never be paid back fully.

A certain type of politician (usually a Republican) brings it up as an excuse when something that they don't wish to fund gets proposed. When it comes to tax cuts that disproportionately benefit the wealthy (such as Trump's only major piece of legislation which cost $1.9 Trillion over 10 years) they suddenly aren't bothered about the national debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭thomil

China's policy is still influenced by the experience of the "century of humiliations" from the Opium Wars in the 1840s & 1850s to the defeat of the Japanese in 1945 and of the Kuomintang in 1949. During this time, China was kept in a weakened, impotent state by numerous European colonial powers. Ever since their victory in the Chinese Civil War, it has been the policy of the CCP to never allow China to be at the mercy of outside powers again. While I agree with you that China may not have an interest in outright destroying Europe, or indeed the western world at large, it is very much in their interests to have these countries politically weakened and distracted, while retaining them as potential export markets. A lot of China's foreign policy decisions, including things such as their Belt & Road Initiative, should be seen in that light.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't buy this.

We're not in a world war. Countries the far side of globe have no more care for the war in Ukraine than European countries during the gulf wars. Saying that China is allied to Russia because they're profiteering from the war is an incorrect analysis I believe.

Yet

Putin very much would like this to become a world war as witnessed by his aid to HAMAS and Iran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If the Russians really are behind any of these parties they haven't been spending their money well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭zv2

He sounds like a cross between Hitler and Donald Duck.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭briany

The political activist and former top Trump advisor, Steve Bannon, has openly talked about how he's helping prop up right wing movements throughout Europe.

There's probably more than just Russia who would like to see Europe lapse into right-wing authoritarianism. Not that it matters as this should be resisted whoever is trying to push it because the 'solution' it offers is worse than the problems it claims it would solve when all is said and done.

We can see that pretty much every pro-Russian agitator in the West won't actually go live in Russia. What they admire about the place is the embedded in-group/out-group dynamic. Something they hope to replicate in their respective home countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nazis outside Russia have to appear like Hitler - ranting and raving with the hands waving.

Nazis inside Russia have to appear unlike Hitler - speak quietly and the hands kept together apart from the spasm hand.

Nazis outside, have no power, are just a talking point. Nazis inside have all the power and fund those outside to keep them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

I'm not an expert on drawing up peace accords.

But, if you had asked me at the back end of the troubles on this Island, would I favour the continuation of hostilities or perhaps giving peace a try? Of course, the answer is obvious. The violence was taking us nowhere.

And I feel the same about this conflict. The Ukrainians have hit a dead end here, and it's very unlikely that they're going to reclaim these annexed territories now. The Russians are just too strong. More war will only bring more human misery, without any realistic chance of Ukraine securing their objectives.

The west should really be encouraging Ukraine to embrace peace talks, rather than pushing for another endless conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

…misread that I think so deleted reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I earlier made a proposal for peace that was commented on here. What's your proposal, we're not asking you to draw up accords. What terms would you endorse? This isn't that difficult.

Unless, you know, you're afraid of being criticized for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭randomuser02125

In your comparison to the north, which side had a history of using treaties to play for time, attacking again after a matter of years? A Russian peace is no peace.

Do you believe Ukraine should be able to join the EU? How do you think Russia would react to that proposal in these 'peace' negotiations of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭scottser

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭scottser

By 'peace talks', you mean 'surrender', don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Just to confirm then, you suggest Ukraine giving up its sovereign territory to Russia in order to bring an end to Russia's war of aggression?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It's official. We need our bingo card back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Putin's boy soldiers.

For a country with a population less than Germany and France combined. They really do see themselves as some kind of last Nazi military expansionist up their own hole country. Considered themselves as second to the USA at one stage too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This could determine the war. Chasiv Yar is most definitely a critical defence point and losing it would be a terrible loss

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Thanks… so it's 410,000 casualties (probably closer to 450,000 now) of which 180,000 are killed (again, probably north of 190,000 by now)? 180,000 to 200,000 dead a staggering amount of humans that one man is prepared to sacrifice for his personal thirst for power. Few other nations on earth would tolerate those kind of losses. All for what? Nothing. Even total victory on the battlefield in 2024/ 2025 will not see Russia hold Ukraine for more than 10/ 15 years before the next generational/ societal/ political shift sees it revert back to independence. All those lives lost for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Rawr

So Ireland gets it's own Nasjonal Samling (Norway's wartime Nazi party…the flag of this lot is even similar, be it a "Gael-if-ied" swastika), and a Irish Vidkun Quisling to boot.

What pathetic and hateful behaviour from this creature. I hope he enjoys all of the ridicule he will earn from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Nothing at all, in fact that was one of the points I made (Ukraine should of course be inflating its successes and downplaying its losses in public announcements). But we shouldn't be passing off our wishful thinking as fact. Otherwise you end up with Comical Ali situations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No one expects the text of the Oslo Accords from you. Just in general terms, what would this peace look like (spoilers, there will be follow up questions). Will Russia get to keep the four oblasts they have seized? Will they pay reparations for the damage done to Ukraine? Will the Ukrainians living in these areas be allowed to remain or will they be deported/exterminated? Will there be open border crossings for Russians/Ukrainians, with visa free travel? Will trade resume between the two countries? Will the US and EU remove the sanctions? What will stop Russia from invading again and taking a little bit more in a few years' time? What if Ukrainian partisans attack the Russian occupying forces? Will Russia leave a significant army and their fortifications in situ?

In reality, the only outcome that Putin will accept is the destruction of Ukraine as a State and the replacement of it with some sort of Russian appointed subordinate state.

Now, you will likely avoid committing to any position because you are here to just say "make peace" and it is implied that this will be on whatever terms Russia wants. But in reality, the terms that Russia wants are intolerable to the democratic world. And the terms that would be acceptable to the democratic world are intolerable to Russia.

You are of course entitled to your opinions. But I am entitled to point out that your opinions are hollow, superficial and, at best, naive. There is no reality to a peace agreement with Russia. The only realistic four options for peace are

1.Russia defeats Ukraine in the field,

2. Ukraine defeats Russia in the field,

3. Russia gives up on its war aims, or

4. Ukraine gives up on its sovereignty.

So to be realistic and clear, which of these options seems preferrable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

It seems Russia has been pounding it from the air last 2/3 wks. Russian ground forces seems to be not to far from it. I would say we will see Russia ground assault on it within next few days. I wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine getting the USA aid will have sped up the Russian time line to attack it. They might of pounded it for another wk or so before attacking but I say with Ukrainian forces getting the US aid the Russians will attack there within the next few days. But it's definitely critical for Ukraine not to lose this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

With respect to this:

Over 20,000 Russian troops trying to storm Chasiv Yar, outskirts.

Around 20,000-25,000 Russian soldiers are trying to storm Chasiv Yar and the settlements in its outskirts, the Khortytsia Group of Forces' spokesperson, Nazar Voloshyn, said.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Ukrainian resolve will be steel after the good news of aid on the way and im sure they'll have had some emergency reserve ammo and weapons to bolster any weak spots.

I think the russians are going to be in for a nasty shock the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Let's hope so. I'd fear Russia will try everything to make a big breakthrough before the aid arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Me to @Poon Tang : Is it true you always answer a question with another question?

Poon Tang to me: Who told you that?

There is one aspect that hasn’t been considered above posts, Ukraine might have been saving husbanding ammo and trading space for time, this is no longer needed

So quite likely we endup with 20,000 soon to be dead Russians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭thomil

That could end up being a blessing in disguise. Granted, Ukraine is apparently stretched pretty thin at the moment, but it has resupplies coming in, and they just have to hold on. Conversely, any forces that Russia throws into a rushed offensive now will not be available for the rumored large summer offensive. They could end up burning themselves out without any major breakthroughs.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement