Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Yesterday’s sports news going out 24 hours late in the 4.00pm bulletin there, sloppy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

OTB's backing of Kenny is sort of like Dunphy defending Keane 20 years ago.

It took about 2 to 3 games to figure out Kenny wasn't up to scratch.

If they want to restore credibility on this they would do well to forget about his reign and focus in on the merits of whoever gets it.

I'd hope it wont be O'Shea.

Not just because it could be Stan Mk II but he's also a likeable enough lad and really our last major player at the very highest level.

I'd hate for his reputation to be threatened if it went badly for him over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Last Friday on the Pat Kenny show weekend sport preview, the OTB person spent more time talking about the women's rugby six nations game than the entire weekend GAA action. I was wondering is this indicative of what the public want to hear now?

Listening to the weekend sports review now the final slot is to talk as quickly as possible about that rugby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

that’s what the woke goys in the D4tress like to talk about these days not bog ball or stick fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fire_man

They will be making excuses now for womens teams.Too much talk about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

they probably have launched yet another podcast for the W6N

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Or they were covering a minority sport in a timeslot that would get some attraction because they know that the bigger sports get plenty of coverage all the time anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sunjava

Was this the person that sounds like a transition year student? That's a charitable box ticking slot if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

They produce a lot of content.

It’s not like covering minority sports comes at the expense of the others.

good for them, i have no issue with them covering women's sports, they have plenty of time to do it.

I just see everything they do these days in a cynical way - they launched a F1 podcast having literally done nothing on the sport in years mon-fri but just to cash in on Drive to Survive. There's a great motorsports scene in ireland they could do a pod on or god forbid mention on the radio show. Also cycling, not a flicker even though we have pros fighting in the classics and two in the tour of turkey this week, and the Ras coming soon as well.

They have plenty of things to chose from and plenty of time but for me its not that they're doing "women's Rugby/Soccer/GAA" it just more Rugby/Soccer/GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭17togo

That's what made them so good years ago. They'd cover sports that you wouldn't normally have had coverage on other sports bulletins or shows. That's back when the Second Captains lads were involved so probably their influence?! I remember I used to time my drive into work to listen to them in peace and quiet in the car, now I don't even bother turning them on, just catch glimpses of them on different social media platforms. Do love listening to the hurling pod though. Those lads could nearly go out on their own now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder how that works, going out on their own.

It’s a much easier sell to pay €10 per month for lots of content every day, basically there’s always something to listen to all year round.

Hurling pod is only twice a week, and I don’t think they even have one during the inter county close season. Or even during the league, when it’s pointless enough trying to analyze anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not sure about the hurling. Richie hogan is a dose to listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭17togo

Dont they have a football pod aswell with the same host?! Think I've seen one, but maybe not. So that would get them a couple of more episodes during the week. I just think they'd be good enough to hold their own. Skehill is a bit mad in a good way I think, and with Paul Murphy I find their analysis quiet good. There's more to it than the general 'banter' that goes on with the main otb shows.

Its still unknown how the €10 plan has faired, but I'd imagine not very well. Quality not quantity is a better way to go, like second captains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭deisedude

Wooly Parkinson has done really well since going out on his own from SportJoe with his new show Smaller Fish. Several hurling and football podcasts a week. Currently has 4,905 subscribers paying €5 per month

Shows there is a market for just GAA content if done right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Happened to be in car Saturday for the lunchtime panel talking about their favourite sports documentaries, is it just me or does that Roy Curtis fella go to unnecessary lengths to sound articulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

Yes, same with his writing - completely over the top

If the podcast forum is anything to go by then its not going well at all - SC topic is on page 256 and there isn't an OTB Pod topic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had to turn it off. He was painful to listen to. He was trying way too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

He tries to model himself on Con Houlihan. That's it, in a nutshell. He was in my class all the way through secondary school. He was alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭bingobango12

The woke goys in the D4tress sold out a semi final in your stadium in a day and a half. The bog ball/stick fighting association (as you call it) got 21k in to watch 4 teams in their semi final last weekend. There might be a thing or two to be learned from the goys for the GAA.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

have they dropped some pods? Is there no Monday Night rugby anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

There was rugby on tonight, think it was just a case they'd both hurling and football on Monday after a good few high profile games at the weekend whereas it was just URC on for rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The Irish women's rugby team sold out Croke Park. Fait play to them, that went totally over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Maybe now the penny will drop for the GAA: games without jeopardy don't excite the masses. Knockout games is where it's at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭bren2001

There was jeopardy, it was knockout. Its just a pointless competition nobody cares about.

There was 37k at Cork v Clare and 34k at Limerick v Tipp. There's nothing to be learned from rugby, they sold out an ERC SF, the GAA will pack out Croke Park later in the year (not that this was your point). To compare the ERC SF to a Leinster SF is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭leath_dub

It wasn't knockout. All teams participating are still involved in the championship

The competition is way beyond it's sell by date but the fact that there is a safety net definitely impacts on the attendance

The Munster Hurling championship is an outlier, primarily based on the closeness in standard of the participants as well as the standard of the games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭bren2001

The Leinster championship isn't the All Ireland Championship. I think you'll find both Kildare and Offaly are out of the Leinster Championship after losing. They are also out of the All Ireland Championship and in the Tailteann Cup. If they won their games, they'd qualify for the All Ireland Championship. That's jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cork play 2 or 3 home championship games a year and can't sell out Páirc Uí Chaoimh. There is something very odd to me that with the relatively small number of home games a county gets in a year (Cork had 2 home league games and 2 home championship games) that they never sell out anymore.

Limerick didn't play a league match in Limerick this year, their first home game was in Championship against Tipp the weekend just gone and they didn't sell out.

The same is seen in the football codes. GAA has a problem surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭dmakc

Some unfair comparisons being made. GAA capacities are designed to cater for one-off finals at a maximum, Gaelic grounds could fit 25% of the Limerick population at one time, Monaghan could fit 70% of theirs.

Rugby is less tribal with just the four teams, catering to much larger support bases. Leinster riding a wave at the minute with a massive population in a competition played by French and Irish clubs (*England don't seem to care from what I read on the outside), meanwhile in the England you've also got top clubs closing their doors.

Advertisement