Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Along these lines, I don't often catch the show on Friday, but I have it on here.

There doesn't seem to be a newsround, instead there's some (what sounds like) pre recorded rugby chat. Is that usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Whos that one talking? Nails down a black board. Cat being strangled.

Lads come on. Its radio. It matters how people sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Followed directly by ad-for-bookie-masquerading-as-radio-segment "Who you got?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

listened earlier this week for first time this year - maybe it's just because I hadn't listened in so long, but Paddy Andrews seems to have actually got worse at talking over everyone.

I'd have lost the rag with him long ago - I don't know how the producer (probably Tommy Rooney) hasn't reined him in at this stage, it's actually rude behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Friday evening show is always pre recorded which is understandable in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Turned on the hurling pod from Monday nite but gave up after 10 mins.loved the show even putting up with that mattie skehill.the gra for otb has gone for me since the paywall nonsense.

sticking with smaller fish and our game for the gaa.say what u like bout woolly but it’s good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23 StuttgartKY

Yeah the friday evening show always seems a bit like its thrown together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

Surely there's a lot of people on th3 Rroad on a Friday evening - people driving home for the weekend etc

Putting on a good show might entice them to subscribe, whereas throwing together a show without much thought, is likely to do the opposite?

Having said that, as a music fan at roughly the same time, I always think John Creedon's selection on a Friday is very poor compared to weekdays, but I don't know what the motivation for that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Acosta

Christ, Boohig exceptionally annoying on the breakfast show this morning. No need for the producer to be on the show, when there's already two presenters, plus guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

He can be a hard listen at times.

No malice in him and seems like a fairly decent guy but the constant “Here’s one for ya….Tell me this now would you prefer….can you name the only…..” starts to grate very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

He never challenged this lady at all.

She was basically calling anyone that is white and Christian in America a racist.

Post edited by applehunter on

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Poyndexter

It was actually disgraceful hence my need to vent on here about it.

But according to some posters who didn’t even listen to the segment that’s what people want on a sport show now. Not for me thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Flatwhite

Could not agree more and reflects quite poorly on Rooney that he has not put a stop to it. It makes the program a hard listen and quite uncomfortable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PacePower89

Bit strange Richie still able to do newsround from home. Rough listen on the radio when kids are screaming in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭sleepyman

Listened to him last night with Nathan and have to agree.Doesn’t seem very keen on Arsenal having a set piece expert. I get the feeling Nathan wanted to probe Gilsey’s answer but held off.

I’d imagine he has probably no time for data analytics, director of football etc.

Do like when he talks about old games/players and I think they should have more of that.

In saying that I grew up with him,Bill and Dunphy.It will be a sad time when he passes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

For me Giles adds nothing at this stage.

i actually find their most insightful soccer contributors are journalists, from Ireland (Gavin Cooney) plus from France, Spain, Netherlands, Germany etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

I came in to mention this what is this lad doing the the newsround from his bedroom and how are the powers that be allowing him to do so. It looks so bad him in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

I get the feeling Rooney has no authority and comes across as a lad that's a fan and can't believe his luck getting to do the show with two ex players. He's even got podge Collins doing work for Newstalk cause he's now living in the same parish. Nice guy just as a touch of the wants to be friends with the cool players type of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

With Johnny, I’ve been listening to him nigh on 30 years, his stories of the old days can be mildly entertaining but I’ve heard it all before with him.

Sorry now but He is no good on the modern game.

Total cliche ville and mixing up teams, players, managers.

Same old generalised bordering on nonsense - “but does he have it Joe??”

Johnny is a very different man when questioned about his dealing with John Delaney and the “John Giles foundation” and some very odd payments around that - he shuts down any questions on that - as journalists like Mark Tighe found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

the friday evening show has been an odd thing for a long time - right back to the time the SC lads were the hosts. It was live then NT got friday night live rugby and on evenings there was none it was only on till 9 (same during the football off season for the whole week) and may have been a pre-record.

OTB have in recent years had a live segment till 730 then the Crappy Quiz and various pre recoded bits with live updates slotted in. There was another soccer show which was on at about 10pm friday for years on NT which seems completely unrelated to OTB and *i think* this was brought back to 9pm a few years back and in effect is now the final hour of the 7-10pm show. Had a brief look at the OTB website and i cant see it as a stand alone show any more. They had a premier league preview of all the matches after 7pm on a friday as well I assume this is still going but I recall long repeats of that days earlier pods on horse racing and rugby filling in Fridays.

It is bizarre that on a Friday night a sports show wouldn't have dedicated previews of the upcoming weekend sports with a live crew, but maybe they feel the saturday and sunday shows do this. Game On does this although RTE1 had a GAA preview show it was at 10pm Friday evening in the summer in a kind of a "ok, we've done that so feck off" way.

Incidentally the weekend following the complaint about not knowing who hosts what OTB show there were substitute hosts on the sat, sun and monday shows probably because of Joe doing the Rugby on the TV and the hosting duties being rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

There is not the same numbers on the road on a Friday evening as their once was due to WFH, I'd have to admit I'd have no interest in listening to them on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I turned on the radio on way to Croke Park today. The otb football show was on, jayus it was bad. As George Lee on RTE would say about the environment "Reaaly baaad".

They spoke for what felt like forever about a "piece" Dan McDonnell wrote on Stephen Kenny. Basically the gist was that people feel sorry for Stephen Kenny, and if they don't they should. Ireland is not a bad place and the players are there. They even mentioned the number of players Kenny capped. Then I thought have they checked Staunton's record?

Meanwhile all this chat was interrupted by John Duggan throwing in the Premier League results in the middle of Dan rambling. Why does he call Duggan JD? It sounds hilariously poor.

The next bit was discussion on Ireland manager, that was a disaster as well. David Connolly said he did not know which manager would excite him etc etc. Even though the lads were trying to set it up for some sort of manager to talk up.

I had to switch it off it was pathetic stuff, people pay for that shite now?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

^ that sounds bad.

Nobody wants to hear about yet another “piece” on S.Kenny

David Connolly reminds me of one of these English pundits “on the circuit” who expects to turn up and get a few quid for throwing out a few tired and vague cliches. Occasionally there’s tension if Joe pulls him up on it when one sentence just contradicts the next…

Keith Treacy is an odd choice too. He talks as if he was a great of the game or something..”even I would have been happy with a goal like that”. Still better than Connolly though.

Kenny Cunningham is always a good listen

Can't watch the breakfast show anymore. I'm from Cork, but even Boohig's accent irritates me. He's a broadcaster. Why can't he pronounce the letter "O"? "What a weekend of spart we just had, lads."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would give Connolly credit that he is honest though, he could have bluffed the answer.

My god it really wound me up listening to the whole segment though. Painful stuff. I said "ah f**k off" as I turned off the radio. Maybe the "written piece" was good? I don't know I didn't read it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Giles is unsure if Phil Foden "has it" or "wants it". Give it up John. Time to let go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bike2wkr

I thought Giles was quite good on Thursday nights. I don't catch him as often as used to.

His point about foden is he's wondering does he have it to go on to be great great player or will he settle for very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭The Guru 123

Haven’t been listening yet this week. How has the reaction been to the rugby world coming crashing down around them?

Advertisement