Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options
1616263646567»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Yesterday’s sports news going out 24 hours late in the 4.00pm bulletin there, sloppy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

OTB's backing of Kenny is sort of like Dunphy defending Keane 20 years ago.

It took about 2 to 3 games to figure out Kenny wasn't up to scratch.

If they want to restore credibility on this they would do well to forget about his reign and focus in on the merits of whoever gets it.

I'd hope it wont be O'Shea.

Not just because it could be Stan Mk II but he's also a likeable enough lad and really our last major player at the very highest level.

I'd hate for his reputation to be threatened if it went badly for him over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Last Friday on the Pat Kenny show weekend sport preview, the OTB person spent more time talking about the women's rugby six nations game than the entire weekend GAA action. I was wondering is this indicative of what the public want to hear now?

Listening to the weekend sports review now the final slot is to talk as quickly as possible about that rugby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

that’s what the woke goys in the D4tress like to talk about these days not bog ball or stick fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭fire_man

They will be making excuses now for womens teams.Too much talk about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

they probably have launched yet another podcast for the W6N

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Or they were covering a minority sport in a timeslot that would get some attraction because they know that the bigger sports get plenty of coverage all the time anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sunjava

Was this the person that sounds like a transition year student? That's a charitable box ticking slot if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

They produce a lot of content.

It’s not like covering minority sports comes at the expense of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

good for them, i have no issue with them covering women's sports, they have plenty of time to do it.

I just see everything they do these days in a cynical way - they launched a F1 podcast having literally done nothing on the sport in years mon-fri but just to cash in on Drive to Survive. There's a great motorsports scene in ireland they could do a pod on or god forbid mention on the radio show. Also cycling, not a flicker even though we have pros fighting in the classics and two in the tour of turkey this week, and the Ras coming soon as well.

They have plenty of things to chose from and plenty of time but for me its not that they're doing "women's Rugby/Soccer/GAA" it just more Rugby/Soccer/GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭17togo

That's what made them so good years ago. They'd cover sports that you wouldn't normally have had coverage on other sports bulletins or shows. That's back when the Second Captains lads were involved so probably their influence?! I remember I used to time my drive into work to listen to them in peace and quiet in the car, now I don't even bother turning them on, just catch glimpses of them on different social media platforms. Do love listening to the hurling pod though. Those lads could nearly go out on their own now.

Advertisement