Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatoes 2024

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hmm - yes, out in the open and no cover - well that was the plan anyway. Ok I can reassess and look at some protection. Maybe those windows which I didn't dump yet might end up getting used as a grow-frame. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

for the likes of Gardeners Delight, what size pot should it end up being in? Or would one of the grow bags work? I assume I have to stake or tie up with string as it gets big?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ive grown tomatoes in 12l buckets before. I think growbags are 30l and they usually say 3 plants can fit. All indeterminate tomatoes need staking and support as they grow.

They did a good experiment on different ways to grow tomatoes last year on Gardner's world. You might find something online if you search for it.

10-10-20, how did the protection build go for the tomatoes?

I moved my tomatoes out to the greenhouse about a week ago now. They are looking good. Although I haven't planted them yet. I have to put up the support wires and this cold weather is making me a little hesitant because I can still cover them with fleece at night because they are all in a tray but some of them really do need planting for support as they are a little leggy and floppy.

Ah, thanks for asking. It didn't go far. I elected to pass-off two of the tallest plants to my parents, who have a number of plants already established in a greenhouse. Those two were just throwing out flower buds, so hopefully they will bear fruit.

I then sourced 4 more much smaller plants from a garden center, so I have seven now! The plan is to continue to harden them and hope that the weather improves in early May, then I'll put them in grow-bags in a shady spot. Whether I'll have protection or not - I don't know - I have a few things in motion which might either work out or not.

;) I love your economics! Get rid of two buy 4!

If you have a way of securing the cheap blow away greenhouses that Aldi/Lidl sell that might get you through for the season. But you'd have to figure out a way to secure it properly to avoid it's blow away characteristics.

Keep the tomatoes in full sun if you can, they won't do much for you in shade.

• Advertisement

Sorry - meant to say a sheltered spot, but with almost full sun.

I'll have a think about those little greenhouses, I'm not a fan of the throw-away culture, so I would be securing it to last a few seasons alright. Thanks!

Ah right ,sorry, I thought you meant shade = shelter!

Ya, I don't like it either but if you can secure it in a fairly sheltered position it should hopefully last a couple years to buy you time to sort something else out at least. Greenhouses are bloody expensive these days. Even the one I got 2 years ago is about €600 more expensive now and it went up fairly quickly back when I was looking at them first but that was in the middle of COVID. I have to say though, while it nearly killed me spending that much money it was worth every penny. (I also had a very specific look in mind for the garden so I wanted a dwarf walled one which is both more expensive and not many affordable options on the market).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

got 3 varieties at the minute still on the windmill in small pots. tumbler which will just go into a larger terracotta pot, and then I have one called Ailsa Craig which I will plant up the same as gardeners delights. The GD is running away and getting a bit leggy, but the AC is very stocky with lots of stem and leaves. This seems like it might be easier to grow than GD, but this summer will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Toms update, going on good they are getting a lot stronger with the bit of heat, they aren’t sprouting up in height but they look fine an healthy. Not fertilising them at all just letting them do their magic on their own. Doing this whole Charles Dowding “no dig” shenanigans…first year with a tunnel and growing toms, so all new to me it might end in disaster..

Picture taken on the 25th April…looking back they have come on a lot

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bill Hook

They look great. Mine are all still in pots in case a late frost hits, I think I am a bit over cautious! Charles Dowding no-dig devotee here and very happy with the results over the last 4 years.

• Advertisement

They sure are looking great! They look like they are putting out roots and will shoot up over night once they get started. They are a lovely tomato green colour!

Im hoping to get mine planted this week. I have to get the tie wires up today. I have to alter some of my system from last year as it fell down and put up a new section on the other side of the greenhouse. I couldn't find the aluminium crimper clip thingys for the wires (very technical I know!) so I had to order some more and they arrived yesterday.

My tomatoes are in desperate need to get planted out. I've been feeding them but some are yellowing. It's mad how quick they have grown the last few weeks! But they are leggy, although that's not the end of the world with tomatoes. I'll plant them slightly sideways to make the most of the legginess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Got a greenhouse last year 2nd hand, all in cost about €200.
    My first time growing tomatoes, 6 different varieties.

I got 13 of 22 plants in the beds on Sunday! Just the old side. I was going to use bull wire to wire up the new bed but it's awkward to use so I've different wire ordered that's arriving this week and I'll get the rest done then. Feels good to have some in, now to figure out the pepper's and other bits and pieces that are going in too.

Whe the main stem divides like this, do I prune the smallest fork or does this get left alone? I have been removing suckers so far, or is that just a sucker that I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Deub

It's an indeterminate variety, unknown type as it came as a gift.

I have the same issue with mine, they're cherry tomatoes. Which one, if any, should I prune?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My tomatoes are going outside permanently this weekend, have been hardening them off this week and they seem to be coping fine. Will be going into a growbag beside the back wall of the house which is SW facing so should do well.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

You don’t need to remove side shoots on cherry tomatoes.

For the other tomatoes, you can keep a side shoot at the beginning to have 2 stems but you need to remove the others. You should always try to keep a strong side shoot for the second stem (like the one on the picture). They are easy to recognise as they almost have the same size as the main stem.

@10-10-20 : I would leave that one and remove side shoots until you know if it is a cherry tomato.

Heading away for a few days tomorrow and just noticed this on one of my plants.

What should I do?

• Advertisement

If it is just a leaf, remove it.

It’s the whole top of the plant unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

There was a blight warning a few days ago.

I’ve put it outside and given everything a blight spray.

Toms are flying along now…looking back at my post just over 12 days ago there is massive growth, even getting my first flowers. This is my first year growing so all new but like @10-10-20 pointed out you have to keep on top of the side shoots, as from the second picture below it can be confusing at to what is the main leader…🤔

Nice one! They really have come along! How many plants have you?

My first lot of tomatoes that I planted have finally stopped sulking and are starting to fly along now. Side shoots galore already and some flowers on the piccolos. I got the wires done for the new bed this morning. I'll plant that last 9 plants this evening when the kids are home from school.

I have about 24-28 plants…maybe too much! but the plan is to make some tomato sauce and store it as much as possible. Thats why over half of them are St Marzano. Looking at them I might have them packed together maybe too tight but we will see. Everyday is a school day

Well I'll have 22 plants think 9/10 varieties, only 1 technically saucing one, although I'll throw whatever in when I get to that point. So your not the only one going mad 😆. I have 3 more to go in but I had to take a break, the heat in the greenhouse 🥵

like many of the plants I grew from seed this year, the tomatoes are small due to the lack of warmth and sunshine. Hopefully, the weather will be better from now on.

• Advertisement

Mine were the same, although the first lot that were planted into the bed in the greenhouse have finally started to put on some healthy growth and starting to look nice and good. I have some flowers on my piccolos already

I got the rest of the toms into the new bed today and threw in the peppers/chillis/basil/cucumber while I was at it. I have to find a couple jalapeno plants coz my seeds never germinated this year and once I do and get them in the greenhouse is fully planted up for 2024! Nice feeling!

Advertisement