Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatoes 2024

Options
  • 01-12-2023 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Hey!

I know it's very early to be thinking about tomato season, but I got blight into my greenhouse fairly early this season so it was a bit of a bust of a year. And I'm itching for next season!

So what varieties are you planning on growing this year?

While I haven't fully decided what I'm growing next season, the only one I'm carrying through is Picollo, a red cherry tomato. Everything else will be new. I'm thinking about some of the darker coloured varieties, but I do want a variety of colours and shapes, with one decent sauce tomato thrown in for good measure!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sungold and Latah for me next time, sadly i got blight this year too (or the beginnings of it - ripped all infected plants out as soon as i saw any signs) so will be skipping a year or two in that space :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Last year was roma nanos which make a great cooked sauce but I'm going back to san marzanos next year as they're superior when it comes to pizza sauce. Not picked a salad tom yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I'll have to remove some of the compost from the greenhouse for next year. Any suggestions of how deep to go? It's a raised bed in the greenhouse. I've thankfully never had blight inside before.

I also have some hens so I'll be throwing a few of them into it in the spring to clean it up a bit.

Tree, It was the Roma I was going to try for the sauces this year. I've grown San Marzano for a few years and while they are delicious, I've always found them a bit lackluster or unproductive or something in growth/cropping. They were also the first to get the blight last summer and didn't have any sort of resistance at all.

We get Picollo tomatoes from Aldi and get the seeds from them. And they grow true to the parent plant. My youngest eats them like grapes, they crop brilliantly and they were the most resistant to the blight which is a bonus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The roma nanos are great! Definitely more hardy against the anthracnose, but they're a paler and have less body in an uncooked sauce. They're great in the marcella hazan recipe (blanch, skin, simmer with salt, butter and an onion for 45min). Unreal but we're real pizza nerds. IF i had more space I'd grow more (I grow three plants at this stage, six make my small greenhouse unenterable, and we prioritise chillis for any shelf spaces)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Bill Hook

I grew San Marzano for the first time last year and they were very susceptible to blossom end rot. They were the only one of the 6 varieties that I grew that had this problem... they all grew in the same conditions in the polytunnel. Did anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

The small to medium yellow pear/bell shaped varieties are absolutely no-brainers .Seem very resilient and real honest to goodness flavour .Sometimes the super sweet red cherry varieties that people boast are as sweet as sweets are just TOO sweet and zingy /complex .

Ok, so the Christmas is over, it's the new year and Im properly itching to get started back in the garden, although it's fairly flooded/soggy so can't get started out there just yet.

Ive been looking on seedaholic for tomatoes to grow this year and I have it down to the following varieties:

Black krim (Beef)

Indigo rose (cherry)

Indigo Apple (cherry)

Tomatoberry garden (cherry)

Roma (sauce)

Yellow submarine (plum)

Tigrella (large cherry?)

I want to grow a variety of colours this year, so one of the indigo varieties and the tomatoberry are probably the only ones that I might cross off that list, unless anyone has any other suggestions? The only variety I'll definitely be growing next season is piccolo which I'll be getting fresh in the next few weeks. My daughter eats them like grapes!

I can get about 14 plants in on one side of the greenhouse and I'm planning on putting in another bed on half of the front side of the greenhouse. I've used that spot for growing in containers for the last couple of seasons but watering is a pain. I set up automatic watering off a soaker hose last year and it's was brilliant.

Bill hook, I've had this issue before. Although I notice it more at the beginning of the fruiting season. It tends to ease off after the first flush of fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sorry I should have said that epsom salts helps prevent blossom end rot .Also I find with tomatoes no matter how careful you are to start early (or maybe BECAUSE you do )that garden centre (or Lidl!) bought young plants end up providing the bulk of my tomatoes .One or two well cared for big plants will provide a lot more crop than a pile of smaller ones .Astonishingly if you pull a branch off a reasonably established tomato plant in July it will grow as much(or far more) in a fortnight as your seedlings will in four months from germination !Sunlight is everything and basic light systems arent as good

I had it at the very start and the very end of the season. The San Marzanos cropped brilliantly even with the (few) blossom end rot losses so I'm going to grow them again this year.

• Advertisement

I put in some seed orders yesterday so this years tomato line up is looking like:

Amber and Mrs. Rucks (bush varieties to grow in pots for earliest eating hopefully)

Sungold - Cherry

San Marzano

Scatalone - San Marzano plum type

Principe Borghese - Plum

Roma VF - Plum

Cuor di Bue - Beefsteak

Marmande - Beefsteak

And whatever else I find lurking in half empty packs in my seed box.

Nice! Where did you order the seeds? How early do they crop? Seedaholic didnt seem to have many bush varieties when I was looking last week.

The seeds are from all over the place! The bush ones are from Irish Seed Savers (part of my 7 free seed packet allocation for being a member).

I ordered the Sungold from Greenvegetableseeds then panicked in case they don't work and nipped into B&Q today and picked up another pack (Johnsons brand).

The rest of them are Franchi brand from GreensofIreland that I bought in their Black Friday sale in November.

In my experience the Sungold crop first... end of June/start of July.

Oh! That's early. Mid July is the earliest I've gotten them . That was last year and the first year I had watering etc sorted. That was with the piccolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pat2167

I'm planting outdoors Latah (for super early crop), Franchi cherry (for taste), and Marmande (for great productivity, they'll be used to make sauces). I probably will try a few other cherry types, like yellow pear and sweet millions

Tomato seeds have been sowed. I've gone with 9 varieties this year

Indigo apple, indigo rose, black krim, sweet millions, tigrella, yellow pear, piccolo , tomatoberry gardener and Roma vf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Going do mine this weekend as I was waiting for my chillie plants to germinate in the propagator and get the space free

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Just put in 24 seeds in the germininator today.. hope to get them into the tunnel mid April

12 San Marzano,

6 brandywine (beefsteak) and

6 Gardeners delight.

My Toms are coming along good, time to move them into bigger pots. Im also thinking of putting them into the polytunnel f I protect them at night with additional cover. Bought 2 more established plants from B&Q as an experiment and planeted directly into the soil last weekend, they seem to be doing fine over the last few days. Any bit of sunshine at all the tunel heats up no end

I need to pot on my toms this weekend from the seed tray to 4in pots. Google photos threw up some reminders this week of what I was at last year and my toms were already well potted on and sitting in the greenhouse. I'm only after washing out the inside earlier today and trying to build up the motivation to do the outside now.

Now I was early at stuff last year because I had surgery at the end of march so I was trying to get ahead on some stuff so I wouldn't usually be that organised.

• Advertisement

**** me! Just had a very very lucky escape with the big greenhouse where the tomatoes go with the storm and it bringing down a tree right beside it. Thankfully it fell along side the ditch but on the field side.

I potted up all of the first batch of tomatoes during the week. They have stopped sulking so when the weather clears up a bit during the week ill start hardening them off in the formentioned greenhouse. I have 6 more seedlings that are a few weeks behind so they will be potted on within the next 2 weeks.

Happy enough with the tomatoes so far. Most germination was good generally, although the expensive ones with only a few seeds were not fantastic.

Dont give out to me as I might be too early…(Im too impatient) but I decided to plant all my seedlings into the ground in the tunnel…they seem to be coming on grand to be fair. Only thing is the slugs, maybe if I waited a bit more any damage done by them would have less of an impact. But I am controlling them and its not too bad and have lost none. If we only got a few days sunshine I think they woudl be flying. I have put in a few more seeds as I forgot to sow a black variety I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

have you ever used nematodes to deter the slugs? I haven’t used them but heard they are good.

No I haven't I might look into it...but tbh I'm a big believer in going out at night with a head torch and just picking the up..a couple of nights and you'd be surprised how much of an impact you can make.

How are your tomatoes getting on in the tunnel eco_mental?

I potted mine on there about 2 weeks ago and they are turning into a little jungle in the spare room. And they desperately need some extra light. I'm planning on getting the greenhouse sorted tomorrow so I can hopefully get them out there to harden off before being planted. The bloody weather is depressing though.

@scarepanda yeah they are coming on good enough, they were slow for the last week or so because as everyone know there has been no light therefore the tunnel wasnt heating up. What I have noticed is that they have come on a lot over the last few days since we have been getting "a bit!" of sunshine. I think this week will bring them on further as the forcast is showing some nice sunny spells.

Only for the polytunnel I woudl be crying every day with depressing weather…if I was planting outside I think I would have given up at this stage!!!

I ll take a phone tomorrow to show my progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hey all, great to find this thread.

I have spent many a year watering my father's tom's but otherwise never had to give much thought to them until this year when I was given a selection of 5 tomato plants by an over-eager grower - don't have a clue as to the varieties, but I repotted them in mixed garden compost 3 weeks ago and they are absolutely flying in a sunny indoor spot.

Today I started hardening them off before moving them to grow-bags in around 3 weeks.

What may I ask is the recommended approach to side shoots - do all and every one need to be pinched, or did I read correctly that bush/determinate types do better with side-shoots, or what's the guidance? Mine are clearly cordon/indeterminate by their tall growth.

Here are my toms from this morning, I think they are healthy they are deffo getting stronger I might see the need to put on the strings in a week or two maybe…but like @10-10-20 this is my first year…regarding side shoots yes they are to be picked out if they are the indeterminate type and to be left if they are not (eg the bushes).

I have mine in the tunnel for 2-3 weeks now and I think they could have been taller if I left them indoors but I think I will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Thanks @ECO_Mental.

What's the general period when tomatoes can be planted fully outdoors in Ireland? And any general tips other than to stake well? I won't be using strings - unless I need to…?

• Advertisement

Oh they look healthy! Not tall but leafy and green!

Ya, pinch out side shoots on all indeterminate tomatoes. Keep on top of it 2/3 times a week. It's easy to do and easy to spot and pinch them out when they are small and young but once they fill out it gets a bit harder if you leave it more than a few days.

Plant out under cover or completely in the open? I think under cover the general consensus is when the night temperature is consistently +10°C, not sure about outside not under cover, but certainly after your last frost date. It's only worth planting outside tomatoes in Ireland if they are blight resistant varieties, and even at that both years I've planted outside with blight resistant varieties I got blight. Last year it was early and it ended up getting into my greenhouse destroying my harvest so I'm avoiding it from now on.

Advertisement