Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatoes 2024

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hmm - yes, out in the open and no cover - well that was the plan anyway. Ok I can reassess and look at some protection. Maybe those windows which I didn't dump yet might end up getting used as a grow-frame. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

for the likes of Gardeners Delight, what size pot should it end up being in? Or would one of the grow bags work? I assume I have to stake or tie up with string as it gets big?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ive grown tomatoes in 12l buckets before. I think growbags are 30l and they usually say 3 plants can fit. All indeterminate tomatoes need staking and support as they grow.

They did a good experiment on different ways to grow tomatoes last year on Gardner's world. You might find something online if you search for it.

10-10-20, how did the protection build go for the tomatoes?

I moved my tomatoes out to the greenhouse about a week ago now. They are looking good. Although I haven't planted them yet. I have to put up the support wires and this cold weather is making me a little hesitant because I can still cover them with fleece at night because they are all in a tray but some of them really do need planting for support as they are a little leggy and floppy.

Ah, thanks for asking. It didn't go far. I elected to pass-off two of the tallest plants to my parents, who have a number of plants already established in a greenhouse. Those two were just throwing out flower buds, so hopefully they will bear fruit.

I then sourced 4 more much smaller plants from a garden center, so I have seven now! The plan is to continue to harden them and hope that the weather improves in early May, then I'll put them in grow-bags in a shady spot. Whether I'll have protection or not - I don't know - I have a few things in motion which might either work out or not.

;) I love your economics! Get rid of two buy 4!

If you have a way of securing the cheap blow away greenhouses that Aldi/Lidl sell that might get you through for the season. But you'd have to figure out a way to secure it properly to avoid it's blow away characteristics.

Keep the tomatoes in full sun if you can, they won't do much for you in shade.

• Advertisement

Sorry - meant to say a sheltered spot, but with almost full sun.

I'll have a think about those little greenhouses, I'm not a fan of the throw-away culture, so I would be securing it to last a few seasons alright. Thanks!

Ah right ,sorry, I thought you meant shade = shelter!

Ya, I don't like it either but if you can secure it in a fairly sheltered position it should hopefully last a couple years to buy you time to sort something else out at least. Greenhouses are bloody expensive these days. Even the one I got 2 years ago is about €600 more expensive now and it went up fairly quickly back when I was looking at them first but that was in the middle of COVID. I have to say though, while it nearly killed me spending that much money it was worth every penny. (I also had a very specific look in mind for the garden so I wanted a dwarf walled one which is both more expensive and not many affordable options on the market).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

got 3 varieties at the minute still on the windmill in small pots. tumbler which will just go into a larger terracotta pot, and then I have one called Ailsa Craig which I will plant up the same as gardeners delights. The GD is running away and getting a bit leggy, but the AC is very stocky with lots of stem and leaves. This seems like it might be easier to grow than GD, but this summer will tell.

Advertisement