Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Hurling separate from the GAA to form its own body sooner rather than later?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Sure it was. Add Clare and Waterford to that aswell and a Limerick team that occasionally broke the mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭heftie

Agree , hurling is in big trouble on a few fronts.More hurling needs to be done in the schools , twice a week in the field doesn't cut it IMO.Also the basic skills of hurling need to be focussed on firstly.Also the physical aspect of hurling needs to be encouraged while developing the skills , lifting ,striking ,catching, ground hurling,overhead hurling .I've seen kids taught to hand pass before they are able to strike the ball.!!!!

Also kids need to have hurley in hand as often as possible at home and parents need to get off the couch at home and develop the kid's skills at home too.The more practice , the more skills develop, the more enjoyable the game will be for the kids.

Not enough being done in schools IMHO in the weaker counties.Slaves to the big ball.

Hurling as a spectacle is in bother.Too much hand passing, ball too light(Babs), too much back passing etc Too many people messing around with the game (Df DOC and DM)

The winning score in the club final for St Thomas was a throwback to how hurling should be played.Off the cuff ,instinctive stuff by a team a team with fire in the belly with loads of skill.

Here's hoping that hurling can throw off the shackles of the football coaches and rediscover its lustre

( Question ; where would the great Ken McGrath fit into the current system under the DF system,? Probably wouldn't make the panel)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

despite ‘babs’ echoing the title of this thread 🧵 there isn’t a chance in hell that it will ever happen, utterly fantasy discussion…..the only sport where something similar has happened is in darts 🎯 in the mid 90’s.

fantasy it may be but hurling as a spectacle is akin to Gaelic football at present (aka basketball) it's puke hurling at the moment.10 years ago everyone marvelled at points from 90 yards ,now it's commonplace.Light ball cuts out the tussle in the full forward line hence lack of excitement etc

It's all possession based now , a real chore to watch , junior / intermediate club is a better watch IMHO

So forming a ‘breakaway’ hurling only association is going to fix all those woes…..? Has anyone even considered how such a breakaway would pan out if tried. Some counties might refuse to join and remain part of the GAA, and then within a county the same could occur with clubs. You could have parallel competitions for years end up with parallel all irelands and club championships etc a bit like boxing and that utterly mad ‘liv’ golf situation……the trend is towards more unification ie ladies Gaelic football and Camogie becoming part of the overall GAA as opposed to ‘breakaways’……so it’s utter fantasy talk and will never happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

He's not wrong: https://x.com/RoryJacob/status/1781336447443698065

No suprise there it's easier to play football, give a chap a pair of runners and yer sorted.Total dross and hurling needs to be careful or it will be the new football

‘GAA did a better job of promoting rugby’ – Tom Dempsey thinks ‘hurling is being driven into the ground’ by GAAGO

https://x.com/IndoSport/status/1787731597690618152

It really does beggar belief that this weekend will follow like the one just gone and the question must be asked – why are we putting hurling in the corner?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/michael-verney-why-is-hurling-being-put-in-the-corner-as-gaago-saga-rumbles-on/a1239895600.html

There's not enough hurling games in the championship to put them behind a paywall. Football has loads of rounds and games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Head of sport at RTE Declan McBennett is also heavily involved with GAA GO so I can see why they hand over a lot of the big hurling matches to boost subscribers for GAA GO and increase revenue.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I've been saying for a long time what Eddie Brennan just posted:
    Eddie Brennan
    @NedzerB13
    The question that needs to be answered:

Are there individuals benefitting financially from GAAGO when people who built our clubs are faced with paying if they want to watch our national games?
    Some openness & transparency would be nice
    Irish Independent Sport

@IndoSport
    ·
    7h
    Michael Verney: Why is hurling being put in the corner as GAAGO saga rumbles on? https://buff.ly/3UyJPuG
    3:27 PM · May 7, 2024
    ·
    Views

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big launch for the Tailteann cup today, I don't remember any big launches for the Joe Mc, Christy Ring or Lory Meagher.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Why is anyone surprised? Corporate (money) matters trump Gaa grassroots everytime.Really disillusioned with the way Gaa is going.Best to vote with the feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭celt262

Course it is are they going to build new stadiums and pitches to play on. Pure fantasy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,466 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Just copy and pasted a tweet from Wooly Parkinson?

Economics will dictate GAA Go’s future, not a tweet that one pundit makes (who ironically does a pay for view pod cast show). If enough people vote with their ‘mouse/touch screen’ and opt to go to games or rely on radio then revenue will decline and it (Gaa go) will be forced to adjust what they show or ‘fold’. The viewing figures (and advertising income) from last year must have shown that the big hurling games generate more revenue than provincial football games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

my guess would be later…

GAA has released All-Ireland group stage ticket packages.

€50 (£43) for three SFC group games €30 (£26) for three Tailteann Cup group games

€30 (£26) for three Tailteann Cup group games

€15 juvenile package that only appears to be available to Dublin supporters

• Advertisement

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

When a fella working in the GAA and RTE, who knows the people and the scene, is writing like this…. - must be around 2 million in the counties involved

Donal Og today:

Elsewhere, top of the bill in the Christy Ring Cup is the Brexit Derby. London who are unbeaten and top of the table, travel to Owenbeg to play Derry who need the two points to put them back into contention.

Neither that game nor any of the Joe McDonagh or Christy Ring Cup matches are amongst the 38 championship games being shown on GAAGO this summer.
    Leinster Rugby took up residency in Croke Park last weekend

No less than seven Tailteann Cup games will be featured. Why? Because football is more important? Who knows.

The senior hurling championship involves 34 matches, the football championship is 64 matches. For some reason, those 34 hurling games have to be squeezed into the cracks between the football schedule.

The All-Ireland hurling final has to be done and dusted before the football showpiece. Why?

Think about these last two points. Firstly, Wexford put on a great show of grit and imagination last Saturday.

You could feel the enthusiasm about Wexford hurling coming back with every score. That game played on the first weekend of May 2024 was the last time Wexford people, young and old, will see their senior hurling team play in Wexford Park until 2025.

On the same evening, the people responsible for this crazy system being in place were catering to another sport in Croke Park.

Maybe they should look at that other sport and think about marketing their own game.

Secondly, when Clare played Limerick on live television a few weeks back, 436,000 people tuned in, almost 200,000 more than watched the football game that followed - more than one in every two people who decided to turn on the TV that evening.

Cork against Limerick tomorrow is a huge opportunity to showcase the game to many people all over again.

It is commonly acknowledged that hurling needs oxygen. This weekend the people charged with promoting the game have given up that opportunity in order to sell subscriptions for a commercial entity. A commercial entity that does hurling in Ireland very little service.

With this evidence of a glaring leadership vacuum and the sport's visibility at stake, Hurling Nation asks where does the government of Ireland stand when it comes to supporting not just the sport but a cultural cornerstone?

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭randd1

He has a point.

He could also walk out off the RTE panel in protect as well.

I'm not sure what that will achieve when he has a voice on the subject that everyone can hear because he has the job?

'League of Ireland attendances over the last two years have up 135%...showing the games works'

RTE knows this. The GAA knows this. Think about it…

Dublin v Antrim in the Leinster SHC will not be shown on TV or online this weekend - That's a huge population…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭kksaints

While LOITV has been a godsend to the LOI fan and is great value for what we get, there's a good bit more that just LOITV responsible for the recent jump in LOI attendances. Some excellent community work by clubs, increased demand for going to football matches and a sort of tiredness with top level football have all played big roles for the recent boost in attendances.

Sean Cavanagh asking the real questions there. And Lawlor scrambling to cut him off and wrap it up. Meanwhile, McManus tries to keep his new job by doing RTE's bidding.

Cavanagh:

"I haven't pulled out the recent accounts but I remember seeing a couple of years ago 40,50, 60m of cash reserves and a balance sheet of €100m. I'm an accountant, I know this stuff.

"For an amateur organisation owned by the members, owned by the people that are lining pitches, by people in every club up and down the country, for me that looks like a very healthy position.

"I previously worked with a lot of soccer organisations, a lot of them go bust all the time and haven't got 2p to rub together. For me, the GAA is in a very healthy financial position, they're acquiring lots of strategic assets all over the country.

"I think it was just the anger on Saturday night, the fallout of the Cork-Limerick thing and ordinary GAA people losing out. Let's call a spade a game, that game should have been on TV somewhere free-to-air, I think everyone recognises that.

"I remember GAAGO being sold to me as 'this is going to provide games to the world, outside of Ireland' but for me, Saturday night was us punishing people within Ireland who should be seeing that game because this organisation, which is owned by RTÉ and the GAA.

"There's definitely a strong suspicion that there has been tactical picking of the games to generate revenue and profit.

"Why does it have to turn a profit? Why can't those games, whether it's subsidised by the government, why can't you show the bigger games free-to-air to the Irish public.

"There's a bigger picture here of trying to promote our game and trying to not punish the people who run our games. I think that's where a lot of the anger lies, where it felt like it was a little bit sneaky of the GAA on Saturday to put that game behind a paywall and punish the ordinary supporters who really needed to see that.

"Equally, that game should be flaunted because that's the game that everyone's going to remember, that's going to get kids into hurling. It just felt wrong for me."

More and more people are coming around to my way of thinking. This is from JJ Kennedy’s article today.
    But it’s much worse than this. The GAAGO is just just a ruse to divert money and power away from Munster hurling into corporate Croke Park for facilities in Leinster and Ulster. They can’t get to the gate receipt money so they’re trying to go through streaming the games. Ultimately, corporate Croke park and RTE want to wrestle power and money away from the Munster hurling championship. That’s obvious now. Probably long term, cripple it and make an open draw. For that to happen they need to make more money than the Munster council as leverage and they need to lessen its position as the main show in town. GAAGO is the way to do this. Ultimately, corporate Croke park want to sell GAAgo as the future of the association. They clearly want to build football due to its wider appeal and population base.
    Munster council should break away from the GAA and set up its own organisation and streaming service. After they’ve a settled league and championship other teams can apply to join a wider championship.
    They’ve got about ten years to do this before the GAAGO paywall really starts to hurt interest and attendance. GAAGO will get more and more powerful because it can pick the best games and as a cartel on the market charge want they like. It’s not a competitive situation.
    The players are not happy. The people who put in the hours to coach these players at clubs and schools are not happy. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a strike in a few years to launch it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Iecrawfc

I don't think you're far wrong when you see how Croke Park are positioning things to promote football above hurling, these people think in decades rather than years. Step 1 is to kill interest in hurling in 2nd tier counties Offaly, Laois, Westmeath etc.The promotion of the tailteann cup in contrast to the ignoring of the Mcdonagh, Ring and Meagher cups, put hurling behind the paywall so casual fans won't come across it, move tailteann cup centre stage and shift the hurling quarter finals to cater for it. Wonder what the proceeds of cork/limerick are being used for in Croke Park?

Advertisement