Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Hurling separate from the GAA to form its own body sooner rather than later?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It will all go into one account and there'll be no tracing anything. I'd imagine.

The actions of the GAA and RTÉ in managing the broadcasting rights for GAA games indicate a strategic effort to avoid competition. By moving a significant number of popular games to their exclusive, paywalled streaming service, and not reopening negotiations with other potential broadcasters like TG4 after Sky ended its partnership, they consolidate control over the broadcasting landscape. The high financial barriers set for these rights further limit other broadcasters' ability to compete. Despite public and political backlash, the GAA and RTÉ defend these decisions, emphasizing financial viability, yet these moves ensure that viewership and revenue remain tightly controlled within their joint venture, reducing opportunities for competition in the market. Between RTE and the GAA, this will lead to:

• Centralized decision-making
    • Strategic alignment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is starting to read like a conspiracy theory thread, "putting hurling behind the paywall" to kill it etc.

I would argue if the GAA did not put on any of the games then there would be serious questions asked. But the GAA GO enables people to watch games that would otherwise not be covered. It also brings revenue into those counties.

Are hurling people that insecure and think it is them against us? The reality is the pool of competitive teams in hurling is very small both geographically and numerically.

The neutrals/casual viewers are only drawn into a few games.

Hurling's "own body" is defacto the Munster Council that is the heartbeat of hurling. If there was a "hurling body" it would be just all those heads with maybe the odd Galwegian or Cat thrown in. Under a different name.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Where's the hurling director? Where's hurling in Connacht? Where's hurling in Ulster? What's happening in Leinster? It's not possible to be paranoid enough. There's now over twice the amount of games in Inter county gaelic football than in hurling.
    Cork v Clare 36,814
    Limerick v Tipperary 33,475
    Donegal v Tyrone 14,714
    Leinster football Semi's 21,900
    Galway v Kilkenny 9,631
    Antrim v Wexford 2000 Est
    Carlow v Dublin 2000 Est
    Offaly v Westmeath 2000 Est

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

This has to be one of the stupidest/dumbest threads ever…..😡 can the mods close it. A separate hurling body will never happen despite what babs Keating and a few others think😡

This from a person who just posted this:

I'd prefer if you were just banned from the thread or didn't post. Jog on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Explain the relevance of the above post….I’ve obviously touched a ‘raw nerve’ with my suggestion which you have taken too personally

You introduced the topic of the dumbest/stupidest threads.
    And I don’t think this thread is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 25,075 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This thread is great. Its a place for a certain poster to post all his hurling related fantasy which means he isn't clogging up all the other threads with nonsense about the future of the game.

The reason this thread gets up people's noses is that they think the GAA invented and owns hurling. That hurling can only exist within that organization because they can't think outside that box. It's called being incompetent. It would concern the type of poster who has just enough brain cells to rub together, two, to keep posting about the relevance of paywalled multinational professional sports packages, that don't involve a stick and a ball, in rugby and soccer, in comparison to an amateur sport like hurling. That's top-notch stuff, that.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Charlie69 on

Are the Dublin county board putting on a full round of league hurling club games at the same time as the Dublin hurling match? That beggars belief. That's a lot of support lost.

What's a "hurling body" going to do only focus on Munster. It is only dreamland to think that a "hurling body" will suddenly focus on the non traditional counties. Hurling will just look after the status quo which basically is Munster and few other counties. Which is about 10 or less competitive counties in the country. Mostly from Munster

Hurling is not a game that can just be "picked up" like football. It has to be there decades and decades. Let's call a spade a spade hurling is a niche sport. And that is all it will ever be.

Those who love hurling really love it. But it is not the sort of game that spreads. There is massive games in standard between the haves and have nots. Watching wallopings does not draw the neutral in. Which is why the Munster championship is so treasured and why the league has to be rejigged every couple of years.

oh ye of little faith.

Here’s a little of Armagh v Tyrone lately.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeX8o9jS/

A sole hurling organisation would make sure they got games into adulthood. Maybe even help some of them start their own hurling clubs.

Are the Dublin county board putting on a full round of league hurling club games at the same time as the Dublin hurling match? That beggars belief. That's a lot of support lost.

The Dublin match in Parnell will be near a sell out stand already sold out ages ago.

Parnell only holds 8500. The general Dublin hurling support is about 3000. Not to mention that there is a large percentage of young lads that would prefer to play hurling, instead of watch it. That is also a reality.

Look you know and I know your "hurling body" idea is code for Munster to get "free reign" that is what would happen.

Some tool like Donal Og would end up leading this "Hurling Body" he would love that attention. A fella who thinks of hurling as a "Hurling Nation" yet sneers at at most teams outside Munster. The reality is in Hurling there is a cohort who are happy with the status quo. In other words Munster hurling and feck everyone else.

Painting it as Football v Hurling is convenient I suppose. Counties where football is stronger the young lad is going to chose football (if he is good enough) as simple as that.

But this is done to mask the truth there is snobbery within hurling and a hierarchy within in it. It is just a trick (using hurling v football) where hurling people don't have to look at themselves and their own prejudices not just v football. But within hurling itself.

Ok you might have good intentions similar to Liam Griffin who I remember years ago was in a TV studio with literal tears in his eyes "There are people in this room who never held a hurl in his lives".

But the reality is the vast majority of top counties in hurling are not very interested in "growing the game" they are more than happy the way it is.

Your "hurling body" would just be a rebranding, run by a small group of powerful people from within the "traditional counties". With less funding and less nationwide pull. It would make it even worse than it currently is IMO.

A lot of assumptions and mental gymnastics going on there… seem to be projecting a problem with Donal Og onto this.

Donal Og is the prime example, he would be the type of fella that would be leading this body. But you want to gloss over the reality of sobbery within hurling because it does not suit your narrative. I know well you would prefer to paint it as football v hurling. But it is not as black and white as that.

If anyone is doing the mental gymnastics it is yourself to be honest. In this dreamland of a "rebrand" breakaway your assumption is the whole of hurling will improve.

But it will lead to less funding for a start, a smaller organisation. There is a reason the LGFA and Camogie association want to join the GAA umbrella. Simple answer = More clout and more funding.

Your "dream" would give hurling least clout and less funding. It's power base would be among an even smaller cohort as a result and it's focus will be even more so on the traditional counties.

I honestly don't think you have thought this through at all, to be honest.

@evolvingtipperary101

What honestly do you think think a "Hurling body"

would -

1. Change?
    2. Achieve?
    3. How would it make things better?

It would be a smaller niche organisation, less attractive to sponsors and funding. Therefore it's focus is going to be even more narrow than it already is.

If you think that creating a "Hurling body" is going to strengthen Hurling v Football it is living in a pipedream (A Wavin pipe dream).

Hurling would have to become even more streamlined to survive and be profitable, because it would be a smaller organisation. And what is the only thing that is of any use intercounty hurling = The Munster Championship.

Those weaker hurling counties you dream of being helped more, are going to be helped even less in such a scenario. The "Traditional counties" will be the focus, eveb more.

My dream… 🤣🤣

Donal Og wouldn't be leading anything. Doesn't have the experience.

Doesn’t look any where near full to me

https://x.com/dubgaaofficial/status/1791873500233294015?s=46

• Advertisement

I note you didn't answer my question's which is telling in itself.

1. What do you want this hurling body to achieve?
    2. How would it change the status quo?

Surely there must be an ultimate goal of your call for a hurling body? What is the main driver for this premise?

To me it seems nothing more than "pub talk". Ill thought out. Ill conceived. And agenda led.

He got his arse handed to him by you on the subject, that’s why he didn’t answer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Knockdromin

Nonsensical idea. Look at how well separate bodies works for women’s GAA; introducing that clusterfuckery to the men’s games is a great idea.

What harm could diverging from an organisation who owns 99% of the assets and land this hurling board would require possibly do?

Would ultimately only do harm to the sport of hurling. Would be the greatest thing to ever happen the game of Gaelic football.

nowhere near full. A city of nearly 2 million people. And you can’t fill 8,000 seats? That’s not even 85% full

Who owns what? You don’t know how the GAA works. It’s volunteer led, community based.

An organisation that focuses on one sport and can appoint a hurling director and board… yeah that would never work…😂😂😂

They should remain in an org that refuses to appoint one and favours another sport. And who actively seeking to drain funds from one sport to put in another … that brilliant that 😂😂😂

I’m working on that proposal. My advice is to not get sucked into being cheerled by someone else who follows posters across threads and tries to cheer other people into arguments. Saddest thing on boards. There’s nothing worse than other posters who like other people who name call and don’t have the guts to do it themselves (just to be clear, that’s not you). You’re one of the better posters on here. Don’t get sucked into it

I might share some of the elements with you but I won’t be getting sucked into juvenile silliness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

In a hypothetical UDI by hurling. How would it work? Will every county board split in two? The breakaway group would hardly keep ownership of GAA assets like stadia and training grounds, so will they have to start building their own grounds or paying the GAA rent to use the existing ones?

Even assuming some big Munster counties form their own organisation, what happens everyone else in the two thirds of the country where hurling is the minority sport?

The premise of this entire thread is that over half the county boards in Ireland hate hurling and want it to die. If this were true, surely these football dominant counties would only be delighted if the hurlers declared themselves no longer part of the GAA.

The GAA county board wouldn't have to fund hurling teams, or provide them with access to grounds/training facilities, or organise hurling competitions, or even keep hurling in mind when organising football competitions. It'd be a blessing to these supposed football tyrants.

It also assumes a clean break where clubs secede as a whole, but what happens dual clubs? My home club in Meath is stronger in hurling than football, regularly winning underage championships, hosting Meath hurling matches at various levels and we've have won 2 SHCs in recent years. But the suggestion that we should split from the GAA to join some new rebel hurling organisation would be laughed at.

In how many counties is hurling at senior inter county level dead? How many counties have less than 9 clubs? Is that acceptable? Seems to be for the GAA?
    Why would you assume that county boards would split? Do you not think a provincial council could leave en masse?
    why do you think it would end relations with the GAA?
    Why do you think the GAA won’t appoint a director of hurling?
    God forbid we should strive for more.
    I think it would be better if we have had separate organisations for each code. All six. I think the current situation is a clusterfuck of endless circling and reviews that leads nowhere. There’s too few people dealing with all the problems that they don’t necessarily have the skill set or interest in. Such as football people dealing with hurling issues and vice versa. There’s a constant change of direction/leaders every few years that leads to the same review and the same suggestions that get bandied about to only circle back again. There needs to be more clarity of purpose and definite roles with specific long term jobs with goals that leads to improvements in crisis areas. A director of hurling is top of that list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

But there's absolutely no appetite for what your suggesting. I'd be surprised if 5% of hurling people wanted to split off from the GAA, and far less than that % of football people.

I mean look at this very thread. It's pretty much just you posting over and over with very little support.

Advertisement