Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Hurling separate from the GAA to form its own body sooner rather than later?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Fair play to him but i think these counties are Pi$$ing up against a wall when there own county boards are in on the plan to screw them. I'd like to hear what the Cavan County Boards opinion is on this i'd imagine they are pulling the plums of themselves thinking about the savings that can be made here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭rrs

Would imagine they wouldn't be against it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the first County board to get this idea rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

"We, the undersigned, are calling on the CCCC of the GAA, to withdraw the proposal that would see five counties excluded from the National Hurling League from 2025 onwards.

"It has become clear that the consultation referred to in the proposal was not conducted with the right people or with the correct information being discussed.

"This is clearly the case given that four of the five county boards involved are now publicly on the record calling for the proposal to be rejected. The players and management in Leitrim also want to see it rejected.

"Given that is the case, we believe it is in the best interests of everyone that the proposal be withdrawn. It is clearly divisive and while that may not have been the intention, it does nothing for the development of hurling.

"If the CCCC does not see fit to withdraw the proposal, we call on all County Boards to ensure their Central Council delegates vote it down and help us instead to grow the game we all love.

"What the proposal has sparked is a conversation about the health of the game north of the much talked about Galway to Dublin line.

"We believe an opportunity has now emerged to really tackle the issue. Therefore we, the undersigned, have all committed to engaging with county boards, the provincial councils, the GAA's CCCC and Central Council and anyone else who is interested in the health of hurling, to develop a plan to grow hurling within our counties and in other areas across Ireland where it is struggling.

"We will work with anyone and everyone constructively to secure the future of the game. That is our commitment.

"Signed: Lisbellaw St Patrick's, Erne Gaels Belleek, Lisnaskea Emmett’s, Fermanagh Senor Hurling Panel, Fermanagh Manager Joe Baldwin.

"Mullahoran St Joseph’s HC, Cootehill Celtic, East Cavan Gaels, Cavan Senior Hurling Panel, Cavan Management – Ollie Bellew and Tomás Mannion

"Carrick Hurling Club, Leitrim Senior Hurling Panel, Leitrim Manager Olcan Conway

"Knockbridge HC, Naomh Moninne HC, St Fechin’s, Louth Senor Hurling Panel

"Longford Slashers HC, Wolfe Tones, Clonguish Gaels, Longford Senior Hurling Panel, Longford Manager Adrian Moran

"Captains of Liam MacCarthy Teams in 2023: Eoghan Campbell (Antrim), Lee Chin (Wexford), Eoin Cody (Kilkenny), Seán O’Donoghue (Cork), Noel McGrath (Tipperary), Eoghan O’Donnell (Dublin), Dáíthí Burke (Galway), Tony Kelly (Clare), Paul Doyle (Carlow), Jamie Barron & Stephen Bennett (Waterford Joint Captains), Declan Hannon (Limerick)

"The National Executive Committee of the Gaelic Players Association."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Like everyone else I'd love to see hurling grow, but the argument as it stands is based on a total fallacy. There's a notion that hurling is divinely ordained to be widely played everywhere, and if hurling isn't popular in a given area, it can only be because something has gone wrong.

The narrative is either;

A: The weaker hurling counties are actually filled with tens of thousands of people who'd secretly love to play hurling (or have their kids play hurling), but their evil county board only loves football so is keeping hurling down. If even 1% of these closet hurling lovers ganged together, they could form a few new clubs and help bolster the sport, but that never seems to happen.

or

B: The Liam Griffin theory that people in football counties are just a bit slow in the head, and their disinterest in hurling is simply due a lack of push from Croke Park to drill it into them how great hurling is. Once that happens, they'll flock to their newly formed hurling teams en masse.

• Advertisement

Proposal to exclude five counties from the National Hurling League withdrawn before today’s meeting of the GAA’s Central Council.

Should these five counties play a giant club league and championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Nah they should just withdraw from gaa and set up their own sport altogether..😡

Cavan County Board will be gutted I think they were the only one who didn't publicly make a statement against it.

County PRO Susan Brady told Northern Sound Radio: “We’re voting against this proposal as we want to support our senior hurlers and management team and the great efforts they have made. We have plans which we are working through to develop hurling clubs across underage and senior level, which we’ve been making good progress on."

Thanks I hadn't heard that. No statement though was there?

• Advertisement

Three Cork hurling games on GAAGO next year.

Donal Og's point:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

After Donal Og's comments on Tailteann Cup subsequently I think he did himself alot of damage especially with his GPA connection.

He did. But I think they're separate issues. Born out of his frustration with the place of hurling in relation to football in croke park headquarters but the comments did no one any favours. Cheap shot. But he is right on the conflict of interest at work in RTE and GAAGO and the football people in headquarters ready to shop off the munster championship to bring in viewers. Ultimately, it locks hurling behind a wall. The hurling county with the biggest population has three group games behind a wall now.

Football manager wages

Of the €1.296 million spent on team administration across the codes and grades, Meath’s accounts showed there was €100,826 spent on the team manager and selectors this past accounting year in contrast to €27,150 in the previous 12-month period. Backroom team personnel expenditure also increased from €275,592 to €347,313.

Mayo last week revealed that of the €809,872 senior football expenditure in 2023, the outlay for team management was €83,213 and backroom team €211,166.

When most counties chose not to break down such numbers, both Meath and Mayo should be credited for illustrating how much homegrown managers in O’Rourke and Kevin McStay and largely homegrown management teams cost.

I've a funny feeling McStay will be looking for a rise after seeing that...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Inter county Gaa is starting to become nauseating, amateur in name only, counties with biggest financial backers will be the most successful, players putting their lives on hold to go on the hamster wheel that the paid management and backroom demand. The games in both codes becoming unwatchable, hurling gone down the road of imitating the keep ball possession game that has blighted football.

The club game starting to be dominated by superclubs, Ballygunner, Kilmacud Crokes, huge population bases. The romance is being drained out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm not sure what point Cusack is trying to make about the GAA, RTÉ and the Government.

Who is there a conflict of interest between?

Louth's budget for the year... hello mickey...

Lads who played for their hurling club dropped off a school team

https://x.com/conlan_kane/status/1741901650556510657?s=20

RTE’s league coverage will consist of 6 football games and only 2 hurling games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Same last year more weight is put on the league in football compared to hurling since the provincial round robin was introduced in 2018, I remember listening to RTE GAA podcast last year and it was basically admitted that's the reason for selecting the live games like that.

Yeah, heard that myself. It's an open secret. The football league is seen as competitive with something on the line whereas the hurling league is not. And it's been let go on like this for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

I'd have no problem with that reasoning. Hurling has effectively made the league irrelevant to the season, football has made it very relevant to it's season.

If I was a TV sports director, given the choice of broadcasting between meaningful matches in a majority sport or glorified challenge matches of a minority, I'd pick the meaningful ones to broadcast.

All based on what advertising revenue can be generated……nothing to do with anything else…..more counties play football including dublin which has almost 1/5 of the population of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If anything the GAA is a great example of how 2 different sports being under the same umbrella is a good thing

Well, even in an amateur sport, in this country, you're in competition for players and eyes on many levels. And hurling's exposure and the way it's being talked about, even on national GAA shows promoting the games, is pushing it into a position that is firmly second. Not only that, but decisions were recently made to try and get rid of county teams. If it was a professional mindset, you'd understand that. But for an amateur org, that's supposed to promoting the games, to be looking to cut teams (fought off - this time) and base decisions on national exposure due to revenue, advertising, and marketing, and to cut it's exposure at a national level, that's going to bury hurling. RTE is living in The GAA's ear - see GAAGO. A lot of league hurling is being pushed on to the lesser sister channel, TG4. The attitude in general in general will erode hurling. Participation rates is already 2 to 1 in favour of gaelic football and pulling away.

Hopefully clubber takes off in a big way because the national broadcaster and the gaa are slowly abandoning the promotion of hurling in favour of football. It's getting to a stage where it's 3 to 1 in exposure at the very least and it's only going to get worse. More and more football, less and less hurling. Kids pick up on these things. Hurling is definitely in danger in such a scenario and lagging behind in terms of participation rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who knows. Take Irish trad where the uilleann pipes are considered by some to be the epitome of trad Irish music. Some would say they are to Irish trad what hurling is to Irish sport.

They had the good sense years ago to form their own organisation Na Píobairí Uilleann and steer clear of the 'GAA like' Comhaltas hegemony. Smart move it was.

• Advertisement

Very, very poor promotion of the hurling league. You have to go looking for it rather than it being in your face...

Advertisement