Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCEP Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Jb1989

So. Much for icbf reckoning tags will be sent out in February /march this year after so slow to send last year. Another case of holding the show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I think it was June/July when we got them last year. Given the weather this year it would of been ideal to tag over the last few weeks

Yea they will wait till cattle are back out after being in over 6 months 🙄

They wrote this on icbf this time last year and still no tags on time

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Is it tag suppliers or icbf delay?

Don't know, but everything the dept of agri has touched lately is dragged on, so I blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

At least this will be the last year of delays 😅

Completed for a neighbour there 8 weeks ago. He still waiting on mullinahone, going to switch to the other crowd and see how long mine take, done calving now for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Word is out that the training for scep is online.

It's for 3 1/2 hrs and can be done at your ease. Finally DAFM have done something to suit farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Great idea, saves taking a days holiday off work for it. I can tip away at it in the background at work. But I see article on agriland saying their cutting out section of farming community by doing it online. Can't keep everyone happy I suppose

Logged into it there over tea with the kids and had 2 of the 7 modules done. It's very user friendly.

An email address and the pin from DAFM letter is all that is needed. While you will never keep everyone happy, there is only 16k people taking part in Scep and they have already done bord bia. Moving with the times is needed. In industry the voice complaining about this would be told promptly, move with the times. It very hard to imagine how many farmers under 65 can't operate a smartphone or laptop, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

The pin number is on the letter and is linked to your herd number. Letter can be view on agfood in the Scep section

Cormac Tags landed 2 days after ordered. And have sent back to lab, weight us still waiting on tags from mullinahone. Some difference

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Fotish

Well done on finding that letter, not easy too spot.

Wouldn't open on the Ipad either ,had to go to the Laptop.

Anyway , I have it now , handy to be able to do the training online alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Arrived here the day after over half of the required animals were turned out to rented ground with no crush. Ar$eholes. Could have been finished with it had they been even one day earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I did my Geno tagging today I just spotted when tagging one of the calves that they are male.

I have the calf in question registered as a heifer - will that affect the Geno tagging requirement in any way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

I’m not certain but you’d think it would be ok. You could ring ICBF on Tuesday to check.

As you know now, they have the Sire and the Dam filled in you when you Register a calf.

They also have the sex of the calf filled in as well.

It’s difficult to get anything incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You select the Dam,Sire and gender when you initially register a calf.

@josephsoap may not have signed up for the NGP - so the SCEP dna will now regularise the gender. The blue card will have to be returned.

Did you confirm your choices for tagging on ICBF as early as possible so the tags would be sent out sooner? Did you ring your tag supplier to tell them your situation, they will speed up sending out tags if you ring them and ask them. Did you ring to see if the tags were in the post before you let the cattle out?

• Advertisement

Sucklers, and SCEP, are only a minor sideline here. Signed up for it as we already fulfill all the major conditions anyway. We don't have time to be trying to micromanage how other businesses run their business. They should be able to do their task rather than not having capacity in place so that only the ones that jump through the hoops of ringing them begging for preferential treatment get their tags at a reasonable time.

It's May. Cattle have to go out as soon as they can be got out.

So you did nothing to help yourself, that’s ok, was just curious. Now you have an hour or two of hardship that a short phone call could have prevented.

Strange response. Do you apply the same logic to everything? If you submit your BISS application online and do everything right but they are slow in paying out at the end of the year, would it be your own fault for "not helping yourself" by failing to ring up to give them a sob story to jump the queue? Not the fault of the system or the people who are supposed to process it?

Your local dealer/mechanic says "drop it up anytime. It will only take a few hours" when you say you are going to bring a tractor up for a service. You leave it in on a Monday of a week you won't need it. You go up on Friday to pick it up and he says "We didn't do it yet. Ah sure you never rang up to explain your situation so you didn't help yourself".

You might have the luxury of time to be arsing about with such matters, but not everyone does. Cattle have to go out when they can be got out. It's May. The number that were put out that would have been tagged (if the tags were available) is less than 2% of the registered animals. It would be beyond stupid to be holding up the show waiting for tags to arrive in the post under the circumstances.

You didn’t have the time for a two minute call to your tag supplier but you have the luxury of time to be arsing about on this site for far longer moaning and bitching. I give up, do what you like.

We could have made as many begging calls with sob stories as we liked to try to get bumped up the queue. It still doesn't change the fact that the animals have to go out when they have to go out. We don't have the luxury to be arsing about delaying that end of things. If we had known for certain that the tags would have been arriving at 5pm by tracked delivery on the day we put them out, they would still have gone out that day without them.

I made a one-sentence post about them sending them out late. It wasn't an unreasonable observation. And not the end of the world, but it is a minor inconvenience. I didn't expect to be attacked and held responsible for them being late in doing what they are expected to do

Cattle here are housed over the winter and let out in (usually) late Spring when the weather allows. It's hardly a unique set of circumstances necessitating having to ring up looking for special treatment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Tanko it’s hardly Donald Trump’s fault that ICBF are sending out tags in May. Let’s leave it at that now OK.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I had to fill out a form called “ AIM94(b) Application form to amend bovine registration details.”

This is returned with the Blue Card and a new card is issued.

You can get the form by googling it and downloading.

Post edited by Fotish on

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Was talking to my advisor yesterday and he said one of his colleagues had been talking to DAFM on the matter above as regards Record Keeping and Events Recording. Apparently there is to be a payment run in May to cover this.

Was initially meant to be paid in March, then April and the latest is May so I won't hold my breath for it just yet

• Advertisement

When doing the online training and you come to the screen where it says Log in to Aurion Learning 2, what are the username and password needed at this stage?

Advertisement