Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Being able to play without spending is important. But lately games are getting very grindy, border line pay to win but still possible enough to say its not.

I've only ever spent €10 on micro transactions in my whole life. It was €10 on a COD Cold War battle pass. I was so into the game it felt worth it. It was the best €10 I ever spent because I'd finish the battle pass and have enough credit for the next battle pass. It was very easy to do even just by doing the double XP weekends. So I was basically in a perpetual battle pass for €10.

Then MW2 comes along and they separated XP from BP points and it.became soooo grindy. I still have my €10, I grinded my backside off just so they couldn't take my original €10 investment away from me. Now I just don't play COD anymore 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Luna84

I loved that series. As in all three. It's been so long since I played the first I forget some of it. But I actually got all Xbox achievements for it or if you are a playstation person I platinumed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I just hate how it went from a broody, dark "realistic" type game to another cheap gta knockoff that pandered to the wrong audiences*. By the 3rd game there isn't even a main character, be "anyone" and in the process have absolutely no personal connection to the game whatsoever. Legion killed it imo. I'd be up for a reboot and back to the original feel and a story to be told.

* ie: not me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

After finishing TR remasters I said I'd give something else a bash and noticed evil west on gamepass. Surprisingly good and fun like a cross between Gears of War and God of war hopefully a nice short linear story after the slog was tomb raider 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just bought the remake trilogy for TR3. I remember the levels being significantly longer and tougher than the first two games but I have history with the game. I lost my progress on the second last level when my PS1 memory card corrupted and I want to finally put that game to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Retro's white whale, the one that got away….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I gave up on that one too back in the day after getting completely bored with all the backtracking involved. It felt like a significant step down from 2 for me at the time.

In retrospect I wonder if it was just fatigue because by then Resident Evil 2 and FF7 had sort up upped my expectations. I didn't really go back to Tomb Raider after that until Legend/Underworld/Anniversary, which were enjoyable B level fare for me. Although the Tomb Raider/Rise/Shadow trilogy blew me away. Well the first two did. Fatigue had set in for the third one I think.

So I missed the second half of 3 and remember little apart from being bored AF wandering around some desert or something. And I also missed Last Revelation which I have here on dreamcast. Is it worth going back ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,891 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly I feel Tomb Raider 1 is a stone cold classic and it held up way better than I expected when I went to play it again. TR2 is good but a lot weaker than TR, it's a real lesson in how less is more.

At the time Revelations was regarded as a return to form for the series and meant to be great but I've not played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Luna84

Which TR game could you explore the mansion? My cousins had a Playstation and that's the only part I played as in exploring the mansion. They lived on the other side of the country to me so never got to play it properly due to lack of time and other people around me and other peoples go's.

They've all got that but the one everyone remembers is the TR2 one with the butler you lock in the fridge.

• Advertisement

I would say if your doin the remasters don't do what I did and play them one after the other as the fatigue hit hard.

My knowledge of the levels etc was surprisingly good after all this time but by god the London levels in three were tedious.

I should have done one game then break, that's what I'd suggest.

If I remember correctly it was one of those cases where every game after metal gear solid was released had to have stealth sections even if the game design and/or engine didn't support stealth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Getting deeper and deeper into Shiren and it just gets better. Such mechanical depth in a deceptively simple package and delivery. Plenty of joy in discovering how everything fits together. And while it's definitely not a roguelite, there is just enough in the way of progression to allow more possibilities to open as you play more and get deeper into the dungeon. And a rare game that works very well for short bursts of play if needed.

I'm 13 hours into Breathedge, and I have to say I'm enjoying it overall. The Subnautica in space references are close, but its not as good. I played a bit on Gamepass when it came out but again said I'd wait for Ps+, but it was cheap recently so I bought it.

It has its issues, the early section is too long, which is where I stopped originally, but once you get the first vehicle it opens up a bit. Story leans on the humorous side, but with the 360 area and the sped up narrative from your AI, it can be hard to determine what is being said in relation to something you're near.

It also leans more heavily on the crafting, with things breaking quickly, so it oft times distracts from progress. Lots to make, but some resources are a pain to find (aluminium). You don't need a lot to craft, but you have to craft often.

Got to a section where I'm being shot at and have died a few times, the only times so far. So gonna binge Fallout and get back to it then. Kinda scratching the Subnautica itch, but ends up highlighting just how good Subnautica is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gta+ (rockstar subscription service for gta online bonuses and now rockstar games like gta trilogy and red dead 1) will see a price increase from 6 euro a month to 8 euro a month from June. I think it might be the worst subscription model I've seen and now a price hike is crazy. I imagine they might be adding more of their games like bully, max payne, man hunt, warriors, etc. to justify it but that might be optimistic. I actually wouldn't mind getting a month just to play RDR1 again and definitely some of the older games as I'm always tempted to get them when they're on sale but if that's the way they're going, i can see a name change to R*+ instead.

There is just way too many subscription services at the moment to justify this unless you have money to burn.

The issue is they all seem so cheap until you add them up. It's crazy from TV, streaming, gaming and delivery subscriptions people are easy paying 50 quid plus a month and tend to stick mainly to one for most content. Then you throw in iptv etc for shows/movies. Majority are quantity over quality as well.

I actually think video games is now the least pirated medium out there nowadays beyond flash cards for ds and cracked games on PC which probably aren't growing compared to tv/movies.

Gone are the days of playstation flash carts and springs 😂😂

Edit: this article could have been written by me except I didnt live in Northern England. https://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/dirty-deeds-piracy-on-the-psx/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The idea of a subscription service seemed great when it was just one or two, and the content was generous and on-demand in a way they hadn’t been before. It was easy to see Netflix as great value when it was 7-8 quid a month, compared to several times that for something like Sky.

But then every company wanted in on the pie. And companies in various different realms. And then realised the low cost was unsustainable and had to start hiking prices. And suddenly to get access to everything across the various services you had to pay more per month than used to be the case for even satellite or digital TV.

There’s absolutely a place for them, but subscription services have successfully eroded various perfectly fine, once sustainable business models. And while the cost of a subscription may seem relatively small month-to-month, it does add up - and ultimately you gain no ownership of the content if you don’t keep coughing up, and are totally at the whims of the provider about whether a given game / tv show / film etc… will be available when you have time to get around to playing or finishing it. And as more things become subscription-based, the more I tend to appreciate the simplicity of the good old one-time purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Must be some mission to cost an extra 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,326 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It also contains the season pass with two post-launch DLCs. In fairness the Ubisoft DLCs tend to be meaty enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't heard of this. Funnily enough I was tempted to start Subnautica again after I had spent an hour yesterday looking for a game to play in vain. This looks like it will scratch an itch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Putting a "secret" non dlc mission inside that paywall is a slippery slope to me.

Ubi are testing the waters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

For years they locked a mission behind a preorder but never for just the high end version. Very slippery slope. If they just threw it in the season pass, it'd be less insulting.

I got a bit more played last night and I have to say, the overall story is a bit crazy. Took me a while to figure out the mayo.... ooooh, cryptic! Second game is due out soon too, so it has definitely made me want to buy it day 1.

Half way through the first episode of Fallout and I'm itching to play a FO game now. They absolutely nailed the vibe (so far). Gonna give the new update a crack for FO4 and if I'm enjoying it, will finally get the dlc. I tried to replay it just last year though and it felt and looked ancient. I really can't see the new update turning that around too much but definitely gonna give it a go

Yeah, they dropped the ball here with the low effort re-release of 4. Did they even use the community's work a la mods like they did with Skyrim SE/AE? Half way through the show (not able to binge it, I need breaks, which is unlike me) and it is game accurate so it does make me want to play, but not one from 10 years ago (or 76 for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,326 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was never able to get into Fallout. Tried Fallout 3 about 3 times and just couldn't get into it. Part of it is me and my aversion to games where you have to basically pick all your skills and attributes etc at the start, thereby mostly locking you into a playstyle before you've even started playing the game, but those games also have a lot of "Here, bring this to my friend you don't know in a place you've never heard of", and then 30 hours later you speak to an NPC and he says thanks for bringing that to me, and you have no idea who he is or what you're after giving to him. Plus so much collectible junk when scavenging...

Fallout, Skyrim, Outer Worlds... I just struggle to get into those games. Want to give the Fallout show a try though, have heard very good things.

Console peasant. Ps plus premium needed for new Vegas and sony can get ta **** if they think I'm paying for that.

Saying that Fallout 76 is actually really good now. Tun of solo content, feels like an actual FO game now.

But yeah, if i had a choice, it would absolutely be new Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I started 76 last night after starting to watch the show. Its not bad actually, not nearly as bad as I was expecting considering it's launch. Definitely feels like a single player game with optional multiplayer elements (just turn on passive mode) aside from the obvious online multiplayer requirements like no pause and other people on the world. I'm sure it would be better with friends but for me it definitely scratches the fallout itch after the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

4 took me a few goes to get into. I struggled with getting the armour and so many weapons so early. It was at odds with the whole start from nothing and scavenge cycle that fallout 3 did so well. But on my 3rd or 4th attempt I did seem to get over the hump and enjoyed it, but never replayed it like I did with 3.

But I think I've found it harder and harder recently to play these types of games where the NPC stands there awkwardly waiting for you to click a button before they turn to face you and you pick a bunch of speech options.

I've tried starfield and I'm playing outer worlds at the moment too and just finding I'm not connecting with any of the characters I'm talking to. I just want to click through the mindless chatter to deliver what ever random item I collected for them rather than have the conversation add to the world building.

Might just be a symptom of not having much time and when I do get on I'm usually way too tired for listening to waffle.

Dying light 2 took me a good few tries to get over the hump but now I'm really into it and the choices and character dialogue actually seems to influence the world.

Advertisement