Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I actually bought 3 years of GamePass (the 120 quid super value deal) and a Series X at the start of this generation, and was really looking forward to Starfield, having never even played any Bethesda game! For some reason that was the reason to go Series X. And I did play Skyrim, 4K / 60 on Series X and I loved it. But then Starfield was just hard to play at 30 FPS on an OLED screen and some of the textures looked like N64 stuff. But I think mainly I had open world burnout by the time it arrived. I'll get to it one day I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

I also played it on an C2 OLED and had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Xbox backwards compatible tech is amazing. I started playing Gears 3 which was on 360 on the cloud and it gives you the 360 version. It was rough. But then I installed it and got the upscaled version and it was on par with any Xbox one game and 60fps. Very enjoyable.

I tried playing resistance 3 on PS and they had no such tech l. It looked harsh, I had to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭PixelPlayer

ARM is not going to be the massive technical leap they are talking about, surely? It is traditionally a mobile chip and as of now cannot outpace desktop x86 cpus.

It allows Microsoft to use their own cpus as seen in the surface Pro. That's good for Microsoft but the end user is not going to care.

The Series X would have been on par with an already dated mid range PC at the time of its release. Comparable to an RX580. To be the greatest technical leap we either need some new tech not available on PC or we need a console that can compete with a decent PC. It would need to be at the top end of a mid range PC. Something that will make PC gamers say wow that is better than my €1000 PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't think the PS5 and Series X were comparable to the RX580. Pretty sure at the time they said RTX 3060 or 3060Ti.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The console pricing tradition - low price subsidised by the manufacturers’ cut from game sales and subscriptions - is already under pressure this generation for multiple reasons. Hence why we haven’t seen the price fall for those machines in the same way it traditionally has over a generation.

The idea of being able to deliver an exponential leap over that in a few short years at a 500-600 price point (which IMO is the crucial thing) seems very unlikely to me. Upscaling and frame gen will help, but everyone will be doing the same thing by then. Opening up your platform (a positive thing!) does also majority eat into the ability to subsidise hardware costs. The way Microsoft is talking about it it could only be a generational leap in something other than raw graphical horsepower IMO, or something outside the traditional console model. Just very unclear whether that’d be something that could or will turn Xbox’s fortunes around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually ARM severely outpaces x86. X86 is a very old tech from the 70s and is built around backwards compatibility so there's a huge amount of redundancy.

ARM on the other hand is a way more modern architecture from the 90s that's built around Reduced instruction sets. It's why it's so popular in mobile devices, it's extremely fast while being very power efficient. Most consoles used to be either risc or MIPS so they could have low clock speeds but could keep up with more powerful PC architecture.

The big players are definitely looking at what Apple silicon are doing with arms, they are making mobile ARM processors that are extremely powerful for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This is cheap 😉

Arm is fast and power efficient which is why its popular on mobile devices. But does it out perform x86 desktop CPUs? I don't think it does yet.

To me any talk of Arm is a clear indication of a move to mobile. I.e the worst kept secret, a portable xbox. This could also be considered a most technical leap ever, in xbox terms because Nintendo and Valve have obviously already done it.

Or it could be that there will still be a separate console + a portable but they need to keep the architecture the same. But that wouldn't be a technical leap, we've seen thst before with PS2 + PSP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But ARM is faster than equivalent x86 hardware. Apple silicon is very worrying for x86 producers because it's the first time ARM chips have been manufactured at the high end and you have mobile chip sets that are massively outperforming x86. Think of what is possible of you make an ARM chip for a desktop.

It's definitely far from confirmed that they are going ARM but it's looking more and more likely that the future will be in arm chipsets.

• Advertisement

Well as good as that is to hear (I love new tech to look forward to) I don't think it is enough to excite Xbox gamers. We will see what else they have in store because I'm sure it has to be more than just a move to arm.

The sad reality is if an xbox gamer wants a big generational leap they can have it now by buying a playatation. We've had 2 (full) gens now of empty promises and waiting. It's a long time, many of these gamers will feel they are not getting any younger and if they can make a switch to PS or PC then their wait will be over. The upcoming PS5 Pro will be the answer to many of their prayers.

I think xbox are worried. Once the gaming community start talking it is hard to stop and they are already talking about the demise of the xbox. The leaks we saw of the next xbox from the ftc were extremely underwhelming. Then there was the multiplat making the xbox redundant debacle. They're only now coming up with a plan for a powerful next gen because they've been forced to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Man, they've been talking about the demise of Xbox since the Xbox One launch. I really think that you (and loads of others) are reading too much into some changes that they're going through. They definitely have problems, but none of them are "Xbox going out of business" bad.

My point is there are a lot of xbox gamers who are at the point where switching to another platform gives them exactly what they have been promised and waiting for. They don't need to wait for the next amazing generational leap from xbox.

As for xbox's demise. It (xbox as a console) is most definitely 100% no doubt about it in decline and in trouble. My point that you are avoiding is that it is already at the point where there are many gamers who do not care what they have to say about the next gen console and its amazingly fantastic generational leap. Fool me once..... Actually we've already been fooled twice. This will be round 3 of promises, promises.

The only case I case I can make for the xboxes existence is that it's the only place to play ninja gaiden black in 4K and even at that Ive a one s that can do that.

The PS5 is one of the all time worst consoles when it comes to exclusives and yet the fact that it has some exclusives just makes it a better buy than the Xbox.

Due to online accounts it's a much bigger decision than before to change console ecosystems. You have friends and purchases tied to each ecosystem now but the fact so many are willing to make the jump just shows how weak Xbox is. I know a lot of people that only went Xbox because of friends lists and previous purchases and all of them are a bit pissed off that a lot of friends are leaving it and they don't have access to the likes of the FF7 remakes.

The digital library is a problem for xbox gamers who want to switch. But all it means is you have to hang onto your xbox. That alone puts your mind at ease. My library is there and I still have access if I really want to. I've not actually lost anything, although.it sucks to have my library dispersed across consoles. I would also need to get a sub to play any MP games if I wanted to go back to them.

For friends lists, switching opens things up and most will find they actually gain more friends because most people have a PS. Yes you leave your xbox buddies behind. It's a pity, but c'est la vie. They can always switch too. But I don't think it's as big an issue anymore with cross play.

But really, it's a case of decision done with no regrets and no looking back. Personally I've switched to PC so I actually still have access to an Xbox library through play anywhere and Game Pass.

If I was to make the decision to switch today, I would definitely be waiting for the PS5 Pro. One of the best things I've found about switch to PC has been having access to PS games. 2nd best thing is playing older games in high/ultra and 60fps+.

Basically, there is very little to regret by leaving xbox behind. That is the sad reality and that is really the premise for the argument that the xbox demise is in sight. People who have left it behind can see just how abysmal things really are for the console.

Xbox as a publisher is another story that is more positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hearing a lot of good buzz around Botany Manor - a plant / gardening puzzle game set in the 1890s. Strange Horticulture showed the potential of a, well, horticulture-based puzzle game so keen to try this one.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/botany-manor-review

If the XBox Series X could run Steam and Windows games it would be the killer console. Then it could run PlayStation PC games and there would be backwards compatibility for years.

Really a standardised home console benefits the consumer, the software developers and the environment. It's a win win. Every 5 years or so, an upgrade is shipped.

VR etc can all be done via peripherals with standard software and hardware interfaces.

Basically the PC model but tailored for ease of use and simplicity like the SteamDeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Xbox is great. I've a series X and series S in the house. I got the S a nice wall mount so it's hiding from the wife behind the wall mounted TV in the sitting room 🤣

The big question about a PC-like Xbox is… what differentiates it from not just being a PC?

I’m all for platforms being more open. I’m just struggling to see the business model for something in between a PC and traditional console. If you’re paying more for a more open platform but losing the versatility of PC hardware, at some point would you not just be better getting a PC? Steam Deck at least has the portable angle, which Microsoft does seem to be pursuing too. Even then though, that’s proving a niche market compared to say Switch, PS5 and Xbox.

If you lose the subsidised hardware model, I’d imagine the price of the machine rises too - which, again, raises the question of why you’d not just go for a PC, as the lower cost of entry is arguably the biggest selling point of a console compared to PC.

I’m interested to see what happens and very much welcome walled gardens becoming less walled, but I don’t think ‘a console but more like a PC’ is an immediate slam dunk of an idea without having a much better idea of what that entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭McFly85

And Valve sort of already tried the PC-as-a-console thing with steam machines, which didn’t do well at all.

Without subsidised hardware and benefits to that ecosystem(exclusive games or cheaper subs) I don’t see the reason for Xbox(or any console) to exist.

• Advertisement

I remember posting here that Bandai Namco released a weird game about a dog on steam for free, Doronko Wanko.

Well it seems they've released two other games as well. They seem to be shorter experimental games. There's no micro transactions either. Not really sure what Bamco's angle here but I guess 3 apparently great to excellent short form games for free isn't to be sniffed at. It might be final projects from an internal Namco game development school.

The sad reality is if an xbox gamer wants a big generational leap they can have it now by buying a playatation.

The two consoles are the same with the Xbox being slighter superior.(If going by CU) So how would you get a generational leap by buying a playstation?

Yep, they are probably games from some internal contest to find ideas and promote staff internally.

By getting a ton of great games, simple as that. Any difference in the hardware performance is so negligible its not even a consideration. And I've mentioned it'll be the PS5 Pro that will really tempt many away from xbox, the to date devotees waiting and waiting and waiting and it is Sony who will deliver exactly what they've been waiting for at a time when devoted fans are well and truly sick of listening to their plans for the future.

I think the worst thing about the lack of competition is that Sony is doing the absolute bare minimum to stay ahead of Xbox. Spiderman 2 and ff16 after how many years on the shelves and both on PC. They have the PS4 games to fall back on sure and they still look great but I can't even blame Sony for not trying. XBox seem to be doing Sony's best marketing for them.

tbh I think all ‘Pro’ and premium consoles are niche, enthusiast products that’ll be ignored by the vast majority of people. Not without their place, but the only needle that’ll be moved by the PS5 Pro is the one on Digital Foundry’s performance graphs.

Yes and you have to bear in mind its not going to be very affordable for most. For an xbox gamer who has been waiting a long time only to be disappointed at every corner though, it's very tempting. I jumped over to PC but if I was making the same decision now to move on from Xbox I'd most definitely eyeing the Pro. When you've been waiting so long and exactly what you want comes along with a ton of games you've missed out on including some beautifully remastered ones, on a beast of a console (let's wait and see of course) Well I'd be saving up for sure and more empty promises coming out from Xbox ironically just make the desire even stronger.

I'm very happy with my Xbox and the games it has on there. I also own a gaming PC that I do not use apart from browsing the web. A 7800X3D and a 7900 XTX.

Ignorance time ...

Someone please correct me re PC backward compatibility...

So, if my console dies or is no longer available to purchase, I can't play the games I have anymore unless they are supported on a future generation of the console and until that dies and is no longer available ...

Whereas PCs have been backwardly compatible for many years ... right or ?

Also, does this apply for Steam games ... There will "always" be a platform available to play them. PC/SteamDeck ...

I mean natively and not cloud streaming.

• Advertisement

In theory yes, the vast majority of older PC games should be easily playable on modern machines. And because PC is a scaleable platform once ‘heavy’ games will now run like a dream on any modern system.

In practice, there are complications, and older games will inevitably run into compatibility issues. It can be an ordeal getting something as simple as modern controls working in older PC games even if they do boot in the first place. But it’s also an open platform, which means community solutions - mods, patches, guides, forum posts etc - exist to solve many problems. Platforms like GOG also exist to further ensure versions of classic games that run on modern machines are easily available. Community servers also mean many classic multiplayer games still have active and engaged communities, whereas companies will often just shut servers off leaving ‘dead’ games on consoles. Games like Nobody Lives Forever are only playable now due to community efforts to keep them alive.

But yes, despite the caveats, in general PC games are much better preserved and available than console games.

Advertisement