Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Preservation is pretty great on PC at the moment. There were a few hurdles. The era of early 3D cards has their own drivers but that is mitigated with 3Dfx wrappers. The jump to 64 bit processors and windows was another issue. Also so games didn't take into account how fast CPUs could become or multi threaded multicore CPUs.

However I've not had issues running older games for a while. There's almost always a guide on steam that will get a game running or a fan made rebuild of a game. Hell some games are just well programmes. I had trouble getting Enemy Zero to run on a Saturn emulator due to emulation issues with disc swapping. Thought I'd try the PC version. It's a Japanese developed game from 1998 with a quad, not polygon, engine. And yet it worked perfectly with no modifications.

Some earlier direct X games can have issues, usually those original Xbox unreal engine 2 games, but again the community has worked hard to get them working.

There's some more recent games that cause issues, Revengeance won't work at anything but 1080p but there's a fan patch that has you navigating the menus blind, (It does work and looks glorious in 4K).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I get what PixelPlayer is saying. Not everyone is interested in yesterday, and just want to play today and future games. I know there's a massive market for playing older games, be it last gen or back to 8-bit/earlier, but some of us want the new. I have both consoles and subs, and Xbox hasn't really delivered on that. Any new game they've released has been met with middling reviews, sometimes bad reviews. While on PS, even if "playing it safe" as Retro infers, they are delivering, albeit at a slower pace compared to previous gens, but that opens up the whole how long modern games take to make these days.

There were 9 God of War games between 2005 and 2014 (across multiple platforms), and only 2 since then, with the next expected in 2026 I'd say. Same with Rockstar and the GTA series, 6 mainline GTA games between 1997 and 2009, and only 1 since (GTA Online being a major factor of that, but still).

I'm speaking specifically about exclusives here but PS, to me, has been the obvious winner in making this gen actually feel like a leap, with the DualSense and haptics, and PSVR2. Xbox just feels like a more powerful console compared to last gen. It didn't really do anything other than expected generational upgrades, ie: NVMe, more powerful CPU/GPU, etc. Will be interesting to see what this generational leap they're hyping up will be, as imo they've a lot of work to do. My sub, which I paid around €150 for nearly 3 years, is due to expire September 2025. They haven't got a cent from me since, and they're not doing anything to make me want to spend any more. I dropped €75 on Synth Riders last week on PSVR2. And I've bought multiple games on PS as I prefer to use the DualSense and it's haptics compared to Xbox's slight upgrade to their last controller.

Xbox may be doing a good job of backwards compatability, but if that's all they can offer then they're not for me. They need to get back making exclusive games that are actually good. Not sure how they will do it, but somehow a good few PS owned studios are managing it, so it should be possible.

In other news, I'm finding it funny how some people are defending Hellblade 2's run time and cinematic style, but at the same time give out over Sony's run times and cinematic style games… Just more proof that not everyone is the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good Bandai Namco sale on here:

Ace combat 7 and klonoa for less than 9 euro. The ace combat DLC at a more reasonable price as well.

Katamari for 4 euro and we love Katamari for less than 9.

All worth owning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Each generation has made leaps in terms of the time and cost to make games. I was at a talk with John Romero and (if I remember right) he said the original Doom took 4 people around 4 months to make. So a small 6 person studio could pump out two games a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Getting stuck into Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island and boy it's good. Don't let the cutesy looks fool you: it's fiendishly difficult - a few runs have ended with the first basic enemy encountered :P - but deeply satisfying. For sure there's an element of randomness involved, but that's the joy of a proper roguelike, especially when you're back up and running again within seconds.

It's definitely more 'roguelike' than 'roguelite', with none of the easing power curve you get in something like Hades, but highly recommended for anyone interested.

• Advertisement

Its a fantastic series and glad to see it's finally getting some attention with this switch release. I'm hoping it comes to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fallout Tv show is out tonight (2am our time I think), all 8 episodes in 1 go. PC Gamer says it's the best Fallout content since New Vegas. I mean, 4 and 76 didn't set a high benchmark but still sounds promising.

https://www.pcgamer.com/movies-tv/fallout-tv-show-review-the-best-fallout-anything-since-fallout-new-vegas/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Seems to be getting good reviews across the board. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Really looking forward to this. Tempted to give New Vegas another go but I think it would be too dated and ruion my fond memories of it. If a game ever deserved a remaster its this.

Started Banishers Ghosts of New Eden. It's a cut scene/story driven investigative RPG set in 17th century New England. It has a very last gen feel to it, but nothing bad about that. Gameplay is heavily inspired by God of War. I'm not far in but the story has grabbed my attention and I love the 17th century setting.

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Retr0, how many hours did you spend flying in Ace Combat 7?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More platforms would always be nice, but I wouldn't hesitate on picking up a Switch copy. The graphics are fairly basic (but effective) and it runs at 60 FPS, not that the alternative would be the end of the world for such an aggressively turn-based game if not. Perfectly suited for Switch. More than anything it's nice to have a physical copy of a game like this, given it's destined to have a small physical run.

I suppose Shiren 5 is already on steam as well if people are interested in trying it on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This will be good news for Bethesda and Microsoft. There was supposed to be a new current gen update of Fallout 4 due, so that'll probably happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Luna84

I played for 30 mins and thought it was sh*t. Never touched it again.

Nothing on RDR 2. I was playing that game one day and came across NPC painting and fixing up a wagon. You never know what you would come across in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Dead Space 2 remake is a no-go apparently. Shelved to make way for Marvel muck and Battlefield.

Edit: But wait, there's hope!

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-shoots-down-dead-space-2-remake-rumors-no-validity-to-this-story

32.8 hours according to Steam which is spread between 1.5 story play throughs and a playthrough of the DLC.

Ignore the people that played the game for 30 minutes. There isn't a game since Metal Gear Rising Revengeance that can match it for minute to minute excitement.

And if you don't trust me, John Linneman of digital foundry put it as his best game of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you should read the article in your edit. Unfortunately they're saying there's no validity to the idea that they were working on Dead Space 2 Remake at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Yeah, it's actually worse then it being shelved. Was never even planned.

"However, IGN understands that EA Motive never considered a Dead Space 2 remake."

All due respect to the developers who by all accounts did a fine job on Dead Space 2023. But for EA’s likely misguided financial aims… a modest touch-up of a modern game that never sold particularly well in the first place was never going to be a mega-hit, especially when they charged eighty quid for the privilege.

It reportedly did well for what it was - but for a lot of these AAA publishers that’s never enough. Indeed, the Dead Space series’ original run is maybe the textbook definition of that process in action.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Did anyone try ace combat on psvr ? I played it on xbox one but picked up the psvr version on an amazon sale last year. But haven’t tried it yet.

Kat Bailey is on twitter saying that her sources said a DS2 was never considered and it sounds like bullshit it got that far into production.

It's meant to be great but it's only 3 stages remade from the older AC games. If you have a psvr or PC VR I'd recommend project wingman. It's a game made by Ace Combat fans since no AC game was forthcoming (and then AC7 did come out). It's as good as the Ace Combat games but the entire game can be played in VR and it's an absolute blast. Looking around the cockpit to track planes and the sense of scale and speed is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was playing Watch_Dogs over the last few days. Had great fun hacking phones and listening to phone calls, reading text messages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd never played the original games so the remake was my first experience of Dead Space. I thought it was great, and mostly enjoyed my time with it. Probably would have given a remake of DS2 a go, but at the same time if we never get it (and it looks like we never will), I don't feel like I'm missing out either. I guess they were looking for the same sort of reception that the Resident Evil 2 remake got, but it just didn't seem like that huge a leap from the original game other than graphics and some quality of life changes (think I saw there were changes to the zero-gravity sections mostly), whereas RE2Remake felt like an entirely new game in the spirit of the original. and the original was a much bigger hit from a bigger franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Speaking of deck builders gave Marvel Snap a go at the weekend, don't really see what all the fuss is about.

I was addicted to this for about 3 weeks when it first came out. I gave it a break and never went back to it.

I found it to be a decent mobile game. Very easy to jump in and have a quick game without devoting too much time to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I've been playing it since October 2022, playing nearly every day. I really only play enough each days to get daily missions done and some of the weekly season pass ones. I'd usually switch between 2 or 3 decks depending on the available mission. I stick to the regular game mode most of the time and pay for the season pass mainly cause I've no other use for my phone credit.

It is possible to not spend any money at all but there is a lot of grind needed to unlock the better cards

I played a lot for a few months when it was released. Went through the first couple of seasons and lost a lot of time to it. But just naturally drifted away after a while (ironically just after finally getting a few cards I’d been pursuing for ages), and haven’t had the urge to go back given the challenges of keeping up with ‘the meta’ in a competitive online game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah keeping up with the meta is the one thing I'm not a fan of. I spent in game earned currency to get a card that was popular. Latest patch completly changed how the card works. There is guy on YouTube I follow who shares popular decks for that week, I usually just use them if I have the cards

Advertisement