Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Counterpoint: full remakes are often artistically dubious resource sinks that are frequently used by publishers to try to erase major original games from public consciousness, and often dramatically compromise the original's unique style and vision in the process. There is much value in more straightforward ports that update the game's technical performance and qualify of life features while leaving the original intact, once they're done competently and priced sensibly. Original versions of games should remain available on new platforms to ensure their continued playability - there is no world where a Bloober Team Silent Hill 2 remake should be the only version of the game available on modern platforms. In the absence of that, emulation is often the best way to experience games as intended (with a few modern bells and whistles depending on the quality of the emulator).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The story and lore were interesting at first, but once they got past AC3 where the present day story had to end and they needed to come up with something new, it all fell apart after that to the point where after Syndicate they wrapped it up in a comic in order to start a new present day arc with AC Origins. At this stage though, it's such a jumbled mess that they'd be better off getting rid altogther.

But from the IGN article, I think there is a lot of new ideas they're incorporating (not just the dual protagonists like in Syndicate) that could definitely make the game feel fresh. As the title suggests, staying in the shadows will form a big part of stealth, with a visibility index and real-time lighting with enemies often carrying lanterns, seasons affecting light and foliage, greater difference in combat between the two protagonists, grappling hook for quicker traversal, no more scouting places and tagging enemies with an eagle in advance, you have to scout the areas yourself, less icon-bombardment on the map as you'll have to scout and find a lot of that yourself.

Sure, not exactly new ideas, but at the very least they're somewhat changing things up. I couldn't bring myself to even try Valhalla even though I loved Odyssey, because Valhalla just looked like Odyssey but raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I just got a huge kick out of the historical and geographical aspects of the AC games I've played (Origins, Odyssey). I know it's fudged entirely to make a piece of entertainment.

Also, I played these games when they were fully polished and bug free on console. They look beautiful.

I think if they went down a more restrained, relaxed, historical walking simulator kind of approach they'd be amazing. Those worlds deserve a better game or could be used in other games.

Which makes me think why don't companies reuse the worlds they've spent millions building for other kinds of games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

While rockstar deserves some blame for the definitive mess it was not them but grove street games that were the developers and not Rockstar North. Who in the end stepped in to do the patches

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've no issue with originals remaining available, but Rockstar did the bare minimum and priced it like it was a Capcom style RE remake (which, BTW, I'm using as the bar here as they really set a standard with remasters/remakes). That's the problem I have, the company fanboys hoovering up low effort max profit releases and praising it like its a gift from God. Something Rockstar should have years ago for the PS4/Xbone era. From a company who has lied about single player dlc for its last 2 major games. A company that hasn't released a new game since 2018. A company that has the manpower, money, resources and time to do their rich back catalogue justice. And they've failed, consistently, in doing that. GTA Trilogy was an embarrassment on release and is probably even lower effort than RDR1, and by all accounts was a port of an inferior version to begin with. This, from Rockstar, with over 2000 employees across 9 divisions.

Maybe I just expect too much from one of the most financially successful video game companies out there. But I personally believe they're crapping all over their fanbase with low effort rereleases of games that deserve better. This wasn't Rockstar making RDR1 available on modern systems, it was a cash grab that inexplicably worked.

@martingriff so, one of the richest gaming companies fobbed off their beloved IP to another company. That sounds like it's still Rockstars fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was always interested in that Irish DLC in Valhalla because it had Benbulben in it and I miss living in Sligo.

But that would have meant putting 100 hours into a series I don't care about and on top of that a supposedly bad entry in the series.

I guess my issue is the 7/10'ness of the series. My time on this earth is too sort to waste so many hours on these games when there's so much better. Even if I want some brain candy games 40 or more hours is too much on an investment.

And after saying that tonight I'll be hate playing Kingdom Hearts chain of memories to try and finish it. I'm a hypocrite.

Hut you've no problem putting hours upon hours into trying to beat a single boss in a Souls game? Seems like the same thing, but people playing AC see more?

But I was the same, i wanted to play the Ireland dlc so ended yp going back and platinuming Valhalla. Over 130 hours, and then I finally tried out the dlc. Covered parts of the country I don't know nor care about and never played it. No longer interested. These ones are too long though. Same happened with Odyssey. By the time I'd done all I could do in the base game I was done with it. Even though the fantastical stuff would be more my kind of thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'No map markers' confirmed - like BotW / TotK, games with absolutely no map markers whatsoever. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

[bans self]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The bosses in souls games that gives me trouble usually take an afternoon. It's not that hard. There's a few that went into the next day but they are usually the optional super bosses.

But to continue that point, I find besting a well designed tough boss or level far more rewarding than spending that same time in a dull open world game engaging in empty carb gameplay with the odd but of worthwhile content sprinkled in there. I find good authored content like a puzzle or challenge to overcome set by the game designer and it's immensely satisfying to overcome. You really don't get that from the usually Sony/Ubisoft game or else those moments are spread out between ours of dull content. The only really satisfying open worlds have been the likes of botw or Elden ring where there's a worthwhile content around every corner and your efforts to explore are constantly rewarded. For all the **** Bethesda get, their games have that as well to a lesser extent.

The first red dead redemption had a great map as well. Not too big but also densely packed with stuff to do and interesting locations and it had a great flow of you followed the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭PixelPlayer

While they are very forgettable, I find AC games generally are good fun and pretty well crafted. Having said that, I haven't played very many of them as I do agree playing all of them and investing in the lore doesn't appeal to me. Having said that, I do have a "wouldn't mind a bit of AC" itch right now as I'm finding it really hard to focus on a specific game. I do enjoy focussing my time on the one game for an extended period and AC is certainly good for that.

Ghost of Tsushima on PC is probably scratch that itch for me but not until the price comes down, which Sony being Sony will probably mean I'll play it next year.

AC Valhalla was one of those games where I put my hands over my ears saying lalalalala when ever anyone talks about it because I really enjoyed it. I just loved the Viking setting and as I said they are very well crafted and enjoyable games. I mean sometimes you need to ask yourself what more do you want? It can't be 9/10 games all the time.

I would argue that the PS4 Jim Ryan era built its success by copying their model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

While acknowledging one person's 9/10 is another's 3/10 and implying no beef with anyone who likes any particular game / series, you really could get through life with (personal) 8/9/10s alone! Granted, you never know if you'll really like something until you play it, but if you know your own taste and keep abreast of what's getting good buzz you can easily be playing great or at least interesting games the vast majority of the time. Obviously nobody wants to spend 70 quid on a game to simply drop it after a few hours, but just waiting for either trusted feedback or a drop in price should keep things more reasonable.

Of course, there is something to be said for the 'interesting failure' and the 'not quite there' 7/10 janky cult classic, not to mention the occasional bit of low effort comfort food gaming :) I'm as guilty as anyone for sticking with some games I didn't like longer than I needed to out of misguided sunk cost fallacy. But given the absurd time committments demanded by a lot of games these days, I don't think there's any harm in aiming for 'great or better' the vast majority of the time with your playing choices. You don't have to look very hard to have a very long list of them to try IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the thing is; you can play a 7/10 game and have a 10/10 experience, simply because the game just hits what you need it to be at that time. You can recognise a games flaws and shortcomings, but you also just want some cookie-cutter, collectathon, familiar-type game that scratches that itch and level of engagement you want in that moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was like this when said 7/10 games were 8 hours long. Was nice to throw on say psi-ops or enslaved and have some zoned out fun for their play time. But these games are now multi hour investments and to make matters worse you can't even dip into them for a bit as inevitably it's 4 hours of story and tutorials before the game opens up and lets you actually start playing it properly.

I was like that for Valhalla, the first 15 hours (the length of a good game) were boring. I dropped it and went back to it after the disappointment of Mirage (too many steps backwards, and a general drop in quality) and ended up putting over 100 hours into it. The "tutorials" are far too long and off putting but once past that it opens up and let's you do whatever you want to do in whatever order you want to.

I love Vikings and all that craic too, but Viking era England is boring. Copy/paste settlements with little to no distinction to tell one from another. The sunshine of Odyssey and Origins suit this style of game better imo. But English history and architecture is, well, pants. I loved meeting all the mythical English gods... oh wait...

We need more Stellar Blades either way. There's little in the way of possible evolution left tbh. All games are copies of others. The only games trying something new are indies and won't be for everyone, ie: Balatro, I have zero interest in it. AC has its audience. Once past the tutorial (so anything from a few hours to 15 on the rpg ones) they really are pick up and play games. We'll have GoT to compare it to, but I'd say they'll be vastly different. I just hope it doesn't go too stealthy and make it boring... I'm already sick of the inevitable trailing missions...

Can we all talk about the good AC games, Armoured Core and Ace Combat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yet again, Tom Nook is aghast at your omission.

• Advertisement

Mech Souls and Asian Top Gun...

Playing Fallout 4 "next gen" and I honestly don't see why it's called that...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Almost 1 month until Elden Ring DLC and then nothing else will matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Luna84

Crap game it looks. I'd be interested if the majority of the game you were flying the the better Russian or Chinese jets. It would be so cool to fly a Mig31 from Russia close to New York and fire a Kinzal missile. A man can dream.

It's got most of the Mig and Sukhoi line if you want to live out your dreams of being a Orc Nazi.

It's also got dog.jpg which puts it ahead of every other game that abbreviates to AC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

AC Origins update imminent 😁

Actually the pyramids were already constructed for the setting of AC Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Thanks, I went for this. All this AC talk has me craving some mundane 7/10 open worldy easy to play fun 😁 I need something to get stuck into. Nixxies ports are top notch too. Working ultrawide and proper HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Finished Animal Well today and my word, what a game that was. Loved it from start to finish. Pushing now for the extra collectibles for the "true ending".

L.A. Noire turned thirteen today. I game I enjoyed playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loved that, was so different and interesting. It's a pity some of the suspects had mental facial expressions making it impossible to tell if they were innocent or guilty and Cole could turn into a psychopath at the drop of a hat made it hard to play out as intended but still really enjoyed my time with it.

Jordan, i will say though, i don't get your love of wagons. Any mission in doing in rdr 1 that has me getting onto a wagon has me groaning. 😂

Advertisement