Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭creedp

Didn't realise it was a dig at you, just a general comment that people attending political party conferences operate in an echo chamber where no criticism is profferred or acceptable. Tbh I think you take it all a bit too personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

By pointing out I have multiple accounts on Twitter/X you were insuating something. Why bring it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I doubt Skimpy has multiple accounts on this site. Has a very distinct writing style. Would be easy spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MyUnicornWorld

Pleased to see he has set up a task force on safety in Dublin. I believe the report will take 6 weeks and then hopefully we will see it implemented and positive changes in the city. This is such a big issue for me and I am glad he seems to be taking it seriously but only time will tell... I was disappointed that he kept Helen McEntee in justice as I feel we need a change there.

I am pleased that he took such a strong stance on Palestine and is giving it the importance it deserves. I am proud to see Ireland and Spain reported around the world taking leadership on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Apologies in advance all.. This will be a long one!

See, this is the sort of thing that personally drives me mad when it comes to politics here.

This apparent "need" for validation and approval (internationally) that both our politicians and many people seem to have - usually at the expense of our own domestic interests or needs.

I have sympathy for the victims of the Gaza conflict (on both sides), but neither side involved are innocent. The Palestinians are just as guilty of atrocities as the Israelis, regardless of the reasons or justifications given. This conflict also goes back a lot further than this current installment, and some reading of history would also be useful to understand the causes and issues involved. It's not quite as clear cut as the soundbite/snapshot reporting style of social media and some of the press would make out.

But it's not our fight. We have no say or influence on the fighting, and we certainly don't have any influence on whatever the eventual outcome and settlement ends up being, and frankly - it's none of our business. We had our own Gaza for decades and likewise atrocities were committed by both sides, and even now there is still that low level resentment of "de Brits" among many here, and the political situation in NI remains unstable even though the violence has at least ended. We're hardly in a position to preach however.

Harris is clearly just latching on to popular opinion on the issue to grandstand on the EU stage (much as Leo, Enda, and many others before him) for essentially "likes", and the idea that this is something to be proud of genuinely baffles me! Who cares what the political reporters of foreign press think of his stance? I would be very confident in saying that their readers probably don't anyway.

What possible difference does it make to the victims on both sides of the conflict? "Ireland has our back" is poor consolation when bullets or shells are flying! The Israelis are not likely to stop their part in the violence either because "Ireland and Spain are coming out against us". Now, if the US changed its position, then maybe there might be a shift in the situation, but again, why Harris and Ireland are getting involved is ridiculous. It's certainly not going to help address any problems here!

He and the Government would be far better dealing with issues like the one you started with above and the rest of the laundry list of serious and worsening domestic issues we face - but given that he and his colleagues have sat back and allowed/encouraged/caused many of these issues over the past decade, I wouldn't hold my breath on much progress in the months he has to do something.

Indeed, an article in the Independent this morning is suggesting that Budget 25 prep is already underway and the theme (unsurprisingly) will be a mega giveaway to try and distract/con/buy off the electorate before the general election with our own money - never forget that the only money the "Government" has is taxes collected from citizens and companies who work here.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/fionnan-sheahan-tax-credits-school-books-creche-grants-budget-2025-to-be-mother-of-all-giveaways/a1936660058.html

But back to pride....

I'll be proud when people aren't paying over 2 grand a month to a investment fund/landlord, or when adults aren't living in their childhood bedroom and can buy their own home if they wish, and without having to move a county or two away in the process.

I'll be proud when people can get urgent medical care without maybe 14 hours sitting on a metal bench in A&E and then not simply shunted to a trolley in the hall for the next 2 days (speaking from personal experience here too).

I'll be proud when the revolving door justice system and pathetically lax sentences are done away with and criminality is actually punished - and I don't just mean more penalty points issued to people on motorways which is where most of the focus seems to be a lot of the time. I mean gangland crime, violence and intimidation in city centres and less prosperous housing estates, white collar crime, and so on.

I'll be proud when we have an immigration system that supports those genuinely in need, and welcomes those who come here legally with skills to offer, jobs to start, and who are a positive benefit to our community - but which is also tough on chancers, foreign criminals, and which protects our borders and recognises that there's only so much we can do/so many we can support too.

I'll be proud when those who "get up early in the morning" are actually supported and recognised for their efforts. That working hard actually pays off in opportunities and options to build a better life for a family. When those who don't engage are sanctioned rather than rewarded with discounted housing and supports that the workers can't afford, don't qualify for, and have to compete against with their own taxes used against them.

I'll be proud when we have a Government that puts Ireland first. Not in an isolationist manner but which represents our interests at international level. That negotiates with our needs and mandate in mind. That essentially negotiates as equals rather than sycophants.

I'll be proud when we have political accountability and transparency. That does away with the culture of nepotism and waste and corruption, and doesn't treat the electorate as a cash cow to be exploited or talked down to or ignores, but remembers that politicians serve us, not the other way around.

I'll be proud when we focus on and meaningfully start to resolve all of these issues, rather than pursuing imaginary agendas of hurt feelings, foreign conflicts, or whatever else is currently trending on social media.

But I fear I'll be a long time waiting for any of these prideful feelings under the current Government or crop of weak, self-serving, apathetic politicians. Big on spin and saying the right things alright - very poor on followup and outcomes.

We have a lot of fundamental issues that need to be addressed and resolved in this country - basic things (like the examples above) that have only gotten worse in the past 15 years, despite our supposed prosperity and wealth.

THAT is where the political focus needs to be. Not grandstanding in Europe and internationally on things that have nothing to do with us in a very transparent attempt to deflect from those far more important problems.

Or, if you prefer - here's the TL;DR version...

Get back to work Simon! Stop sticking your/our nose into issues that are nothing to do with us and far more complicated anyway, and focus on doing your job here at home by tackling the problems that are making headlines in OUR press every day!

(to those who stuck with it, thanks for reading this far!)

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,574 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This country allows itself to be led around by the nose by a small number of noisy lefty loons with a rather disturbing total obsession with Gaza.

I agree, whilst it's all a tragedy it is totally irrelevant to running this country and the time devoted to it by some is completely wrong and should be called out.

It would be refreshing if some of these representatives were stopped mid sentence, told to stop yapping on about the Middle East and focus on the priorities of people in this country.

Because they are not doing that and I do think people are getting fed up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

To be fair to Leo, this was all done with the Spanish PM a few weeks ago. Simon is only repeating and duplicating. It didn't get as many headlines before.

Feb 2024

https://www.breakingnews.ie/israel-hamas/ireland-and-spain-seek-urgent-review-of-eu-israel-trade-deal-amid-concern-over-gaza-1588486.html

The Taoiseach and Spanish prime minister are calling for an urgent review of whether Israel is complying with its human rights obligations under the EU-Israel Association Agreement.

March 2024

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/6d133-statement-by-the-prime-ministers-of-ireland-malta-slovenia-and-spain/

We, the Prime Ministers of Ireland, Malta, Slovenia and Spain, met in the margins of the European Council to share views on the situation in Gaza and the Middle East.

We are agreed that the only way to achieve lasting peace and stability in the region is through implementation of a two-state solution, with Israeli and Palestinian States living side-by-side, in peace and security.

We discussed together our readiness to recognise Palestine

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41331634.html

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez have written to European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen expressing deep concern at the deteriorating situation in Gaza.

=========

Nothing new with what Simon did. Just more talk. Less duplication of efforts Simon and more focus on Ireland's problems please.

As for taskforce…a little late for that, Dublin has been deteriorating for a decade. Didn't Helen tell us that Dublin city centre is perfectly safe and none of the FFG ministers disagreed.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

This should be sent to every sitting TD and every candidate in the upcoming general election.

Excellent post.

Yes it is too late, I agree. But do you think that means they should do nothing?

I am glad Simon is doing something at least. We'll see how it turns out....

Edit: Sorry you are talking about the Dublin "taskforce".

I thought Helen was already doing stuff to tackle Dublin City Centre crime/safety etc. After 4 years in government, they don't know what the problems are? Fine Gael have been there since 2011.

Can getting kicked down the road until summer recess. Election shortly after giveaway budget.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I'm actually considering it (need to stop adding to it first though!)

I mean, I think that what I've listed in the "I'll be proud" sections of my post is what the vast majority of people actually want and are missing from the current political options and Government.

There's nothing controversial or unreasonable or unrealistic in there I think - just to actually focus on the real issues that are affecting everyone every day to varying degrees and which are also ultimately stoking the frustration and resentment that the Government are complaining about the longer they drag on. People (even in Ireland) can only take so much, and it does also wear them down after a while which is feeding into it as well.

So maybe this post should be dedicated to any politician, potential candidate, or staffer who might read it - there's a real and significant gap in the political "market" for a party that will take these points as an actual mandate and agenda and which will, for the first time ever perhaps, actually FOLLOW THROUGH ON IT.

Sure, there will be complaints and resistance from some quarters but I think from all I've read in the press and on threads and sites like this, that the support for doing these things would overwhelmingly win out.

We're essentially back where we were in 2011... At a point where the vast majority of people want real change, real reform, and real action on the issues facing our country - not just more words, empty promises, and lack of delivery.

Enda failed to transform the country back then. Is there ANYONE who could actually do it this time? Because this country is becoming unrecognisable in many respects and most of them are negative.

It really is (long past) time for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dmakc

Agree with above. It's time they started to focus on this island instead of cheap moral victories on the middle east and their perpetual troubles.

Thought the referendum result, or Leo leaving might be a wake up call but it's same old sh1te. Equally annoyed at myself for voting FFG last term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Amazing post. Nothing to add except that you are one of the most coherent and erudite posters on this site. I do hope that you send this to all of your public representatives. I wish people as clear thinking as yourself would consider entering public life. The country needs it urgently.

Cheers, appreciate that a lot. It's funny actually - friends of mine have said over the years that I should have been a journalist or politician. Maybe they were right!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The situation in Gaza is absolutely the major issue in Irish politics today for ALL parties, not just FG.

Theew are major street protests every single day of the week.

https://www.ipsc.ie/

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2024/0413/1443359-gaza-protest-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭combat14

yes lets pour all our energy into the intractable iran israel Palestinian problem sure renters, would be home owners, patients in hospitals, the homeless people in tents, irish citizens etc. can wait another 14 years while simon solves all the rest of the world's number 1 problems

someone else could argue that there are major protests about illegal immigration here too but hamas terrorists and palestine are top priority over everything else

there will be a general election here in less than 12 months and palestine won't save FG at the ballot box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But do you guys not see how pointless these kind of plaintive appeals to the established political parties are? They are going to do whatever they believe is in their political interests regardless. Some of that may coincide with the kind of things kaiser is calling for bit that's a judgment they will make for themselves. If you're looking for any kind of certainty that those sorts of policies will be pursued you need to start voting for candidates outside the current establishment who are sincerely committed to such policies and are not just maybe taking them up for a while out of political expediency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭corkie

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/14ckrpx/is_there_any_point_in_writing_tdsministers_and/

They're always read, if not by the minister/TD, by secretaries who have a good understanding of the minister's priorities and responsibilities. If you're arguing for/against a position, it will get added to the tally, and if you're requesting help they'll either take it on, or you'll get told who might be better to contact.

Came across above when making a query about TD's reading anonymous Twitters tagged at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Didn't Enda do the same thing when there was a gangland shooting in the carpark of Avondale House flats? Remember Enda going on a walkabout similar to Helens as well. Just the usual crap repackaged and put out as being new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Im not a fan of the justice minister, but maybe I'm missing something here? How is this her fault?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The idea that Ireland and it's leaders are sycophants going around the world looking for approval is an entirely made up fiction in some people's heads.

It really isn't. As much as I detest what the Israelis are doing since the Hamas terrorist attack, most people don't see it as a major issue. It will have no impact whatsoever on the voting preferences in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I agree with Cluedo, it's definitely not the major issue in Irish Politics today, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,210 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

very few people posting here care about how many accounts you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am surprised he hasn't been a Late Late Show guest yet or is he afraid Paddy K might ask him some difficult questions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Personally, when it comes to Gaza I don't really care. Yes, it's sad but so is what is happening in Sudan, Myanmar, Haiti etc. This is not our fight, we will have zero influence over how it will end. I'd appreciate it if our politicians would get back to doing the job they are supposed to do and deal with the many issues that affect the people of this country. It's also a braindead move, we rely heavily on US multinationals for employment. A very pro-Israel country, We should not damage that relationship just so we can grandstand and pretend we are making a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…do you really think the mnc's will up sticks over this! think again, our current agreements are mutually beneficial, they aint going anywhere, relax…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A serious lack of how it all works going on here I'm sure Irish people and the Irish state have empathy for Palastine.

On the international stage Ireland is a proxy voice to say things others don't want to say its how it works.

What the Irish goverment says about Palastine has zero effect on our relationship with the US.

Advertisement