Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Called worried parents of sick girls ----- " Emotional Terrorists "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I thought he spoke quite well here, made fools out of SF in their no confidence vote in Helen McEntee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I used to laugh at Americans when Trump and Biden was the best they have.

i just cringe thinking that a college dropout is the best we have.

as some one who think Leo

wasnt to bad , but got the whole Palestine thing wrong. Should have supported South Africa, opposed Ursula’s reappointment. I put my foot down at Simon Harris getting the top job.

FG need Covney, Pascal or to call an election. Harris will collapse the vote and they will be no bounce.

Mary Lou must be fuming (more than normal ) that she’s not going to be the “next “ Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

He didn’t:

HSE Director General Tony O’Brien said that the campaign against the HPV vaccine couldn’t be described as anything other than “a form of emotional terrorism”.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hpv-vaccine-8-3572223-Aug2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

Pascal Donohoe, Simon Coveney, or Heather Humphreys would all have been far superior choices to Simon Harris, and, as you say, could have helped right the ship of Fine Gael, and enable them to keep seats in the upcoming elections. That would have naturally made too much sense.

At the last Fine Gael leadership election in 2017, the majority of the parliamentary party chose Leo Varadkar, but the membership backed Simon Coveney by a margin of almost 2:1. The parliamentary party had the idea that Leo Varadkar might enable them to expand beyond the traditional Fine Gael vote. It was an interesting experiment, but a completely failed one. Not only did Leo fail to expand the vote, he has managed to alienate the traditional Fine Gael vote. Simon Harris will not arrest this decline. He appears to be just a cheap knock-off of Leo.

It might be a cliche, but the old saying about the definition of insanity being to do the same thing over and over again, yet expecting a different result, comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Hardly a major surprise ,once a contender is out in front the others will row in behind as they don't want to be on the wrong side of the expectant winner .One thing about multi party governments now is fewer jobs to go round for one party so lack of opportunities to have a few big portfolios under their belt when the top job comes up .

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

Irish politics is in a very very bad way if this lad is the best we can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I just find it hard not to see Simon Harris as an over enthusiastic student. He's just been on the News saying "I'm in, I wanna be the leader of Fine Gael" .........he seems so immature. He IS so immature!

Actually FF or the Greens could play a blinder. Imagine been the party to pull the plug and saving us from Harris.

emails will sent tomorrow…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It felt more like all the other contenders took one step back 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

As one of the people who had to grow up and get a job l have an issue with Simon Harris a reason why l cannot relate to this person. Something not being mentioned by the media. Here is a man who has never worked a day in his life outside the bubble of politics. He did some photocopying and tea making for Francis Fitzgerald , he then got a nomination for fg and was elected. No third level, no paid job EVER outside of being a TD. He knows nothing of reality, my reality. Many peoples reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Maybe the other Simon and Pascal did hold back but no guarantees they get another chance ,can really say has that worked for anyone before thinking that in a couple of years it would be a better time .The way the numbers look like falling FFFG have a good chance of getting back in with a couple of partners.Unless there are a couple of parties elsewhere with a big seat tally I think this government will be back .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Mr. Bean would do a better job as Taoiseach than this clown: https://www.joe.ie/news/simon-harris-claims-18-other-coronaviruses-major-radio-error-696767

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭jackboy

He is the fool who will take over and take the blame for the election disasters to come. He will be gone in a year and then the serious candidates will come forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Harris was elected in 2020 without even reaching the quota . . . must be a first for an incoming taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder was he promised a future government role by Donohue/Coveney to take the fall this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I'm circling, because i really don't pay a huge amount of attention to Irish Politics but Leo was a good Taoiseach for a period and pretty a pretty straight forward debater. I turned off my TV for about a year and turned it back on to a puffy faced, tired looking Leo. It was time for him to go. He was burnt out and useless. Theres no obvious leader choice in FG at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭jackboy

I'd say some of the other potential candidates had a chat and agreed to just let Simon take it. He probably thinks they are actually supporting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If FG think that this appt will steady the ship and make them attractive to the voting public, I think they have it very wrong.

Don't think he will inspire confidence among voters, and without sounding too personal, I don't think his personality will win him many new supporters.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm unlikely to ever be a FG voter so they're never going to be troubled by the likes of my opinion on who they choose as leader. But good Jesus how could Harris be the Taoiseach? How low have we sunk? He is utterly incompetent. I really dislike Varadkar and would be very critical of a lot of his statements and political choices, but he knew what he was at and was capable, even if not to my taste. The thoughts of this fool leading us is frightening.

On the other hand, perhaps it's a good thing that Harris will be the final nail in the coffin of this current iteration of FG. He will ensure no bounce in support before the general election, where somebody competent like Paschal might rally some support.

Also, if we have to have a second rate FG Taoiseach, I'd also be happier not to see McEntee or Humphries (or even more sickeningly Carroll-McNeill) undeservedly steal the first female Taoiseach "crown". I also won't be voting for SF, but if we're going to have a first female Taoiseach fuss then I'd rather it be Mary Lou after leading SF to election victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Simon Harris thought there was 18 previous waves of Covid and that's why it was called Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Let FG off. We only have another 11 months max. Probably less. Harris will do just fine...as a vote loser

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I wouldn't agree that Harris is some sort of fall guy candidate. He has clearly been preparing for years to take over and he has built up alliances and support in the FG party regardless of how simple people think he is.

There are a number of reasons why others didn't come forward but the main reason is that Harris is probably unbeatable.

Harris has a few things going for him. Firstly he's taking over from a woeful leader and so couldn't possibly do as bad as Varadkar. Secondly any electoral setbacks in June can still be squarely placed at the door of Varadkar and any unexpected gains can be accredited to Harris even if he has not much to do with them. Thirdly he can set out his own stall - He might even do something like sort of "apologise" (we got it wrong etc...) for the Varadkar era and ask the public for a fresh start.

Finally Harris needs to make a promise to the public to get immigration under control and to take public services seriously - and that means schools, hospitals, police and housing. If he doesn't do that then he probably will be leader of the opposition in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Simon Harris going for the leadership now simply confirms his lack of nous not just in the political field. FG are losing lots of sitting TD's to contest the next election. Donohoe and Coveney are being smart by hanging back. FG are looking at an election pummelling. Harris seems stupid enough to be the clown at the head of the disaster for the sake of being Taoiseach for a brief (historically) period of time. I have mocked the US for confirming both Trump and Biden as President and look where we are as a nation now.

Varadkar, though lacking gravitas, was at least outwardly competent. Harris is a bumbler, in addition to lacking gravitas and basic competency. Is their really such a dearth of political talent in FG that two shrewdies aside, we're left with Harris likely to become Taoiseach. For his ability levels it's an astonishing achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Give the man a chance. He comes across more sincere then his predecessor. He's a far better communicator anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Who would you like to see as taoiseach yourself? And please just a name, not a speech about fresh elections etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had read recently that SF were on the slide in the polls.

Will be interesting to see the next one after Harris takes over. I think SF will get a bounce, not FG.

• Advertisement

Advertisement