Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

EU Special Representative for the Colombian Peace Process
    EU Special Representative for Human Rights

You think they are cushy numbers?

Could you do that job? I know I couldn't, and id strongly argue id be more qualified than you.

What are the criteria that makes it a cushy job? Money? Hours to be worked? Level of experience?

Go on, fill us in on what makes a cushy number.

Then we have a thread about boards dying. I wonder why

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Even better, one of the posters on this thread was going on about Green Party and he would never vote for them

Then started complaining that the Green party, who he hasn't voted into his area, never put a Greenway into the area.

Now please can you explain that one for me? not the person he voted in, who is the current TD. He is blaming the people who are not voted in. Baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe what's needed then is a Pro-Government/current ministers/TDs thread. Rather than constantly complaining about SF or people criticising the Government (which some seem to get almost personally offended by), set it up to show the good things that they've done - as a group and as individual ministers.

I'm entirely serious by the way. Do so honestly, engage in good faith, and be ready to accept that not everyone will agree with such a position (as is in fact also the position of the majority beyond Boards per recent polls) and I would certainly be interested in reading it.

However this disingenuous complaining, childish nonsense (become a TD yourself then! etc) and toy-throwing because people aren't accepting and validating such a position at face value is tiresome and THAT is what is killing Boards. It's not just in this thread either, it's all over CA.

Over to you and the others! Rather than sitting equally behind anonymous accounts hurling, make the case for why the Government/FG/Greens ARE actually doing a good job. Extra points if it can be done without some variation on "well SF would be worse!" - I think most people know that! But make the case for the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lookit, there's a coterie out there who like to attack anyone in charge of anything.

They just mouth off with no regard to the fact that implementing something is far more difficult than

roaring and shouting from the sidelines .

Leo is forgotten now ,they have turned on Harris

I wouldn't hold that coterie in very high regard , they just don't understand.

• Advertisement

However this disingenuous complaining, childish nonsense (become a TD yourself then! etc) and toy-throwing because people aren't accepting and validating such a position at face value is tiresome and THAT is what is killing Boards. It's not just in this thread either, it's all over CA.

That in fairness is nonsense.

People will always take a different view, or disagree.

However, in recent times, its the manner.

It's always personal, always negative, and pejorative, politicians out for themselves etc.. etc..

Just populists crap that we see every day now. It is just nasty.

The stuff about Leo leaving his role is similar. Maybe it's just that society has gotten more nasty and belittling.

I asked earlier about the policies one would like to be implemented.

I am still waiting, which proves my point tbh.

I predicted it, I said at the time what would happen the people who life revolved around abusing Leo online. The speed has actually surprised me with how they flipped to Simon. Maybe I was naive and thought they might wait a day or two

They are just a embarrassment

Didn't surprise me, knew what would be the modus operandi

Look across every forum, anything which mentions the government is swarmed with the same accounts. It's the same abuse of posters/Minister etc from the same account

React and they run to the mods to get people banned.

I personally have never voted for FG, made that clear many times, yet even go back over this thread and how many accusations are fired out that I am paid or I am this/that or other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭creedp

Have you not stated that you have never voted for FG or the Greens? Why not as you seemed to be enthralled with everything they do?

• Advertisement

and it's back to having a discussion about me 😂

Thank you for proving my point.

Why would they continue to criticise Leo since he's walked off into the sunset with 2 fingers raised. Just proves people were not simply criticising Leo the person but Leo in his role as Taoiseach.

Defending stupid arguments on Govt performance doesn't morph into "being enthralled with everything they do" I would opine.

Look at the Leo thread and you still have people going on about him

Do you think comments about his race and homophobic comments was because he was Taoiseach?

Or the amount of abuse he got when he was Taniste?

Why are the same people now switch to abusing Simon Harris and he is one day in the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

people have to expect to be criticised when they enter such an important public position with that responsibility and behave and carry out their duty in such a manner of disregard & derogation towards the Irish public’s wellbeing. Now with social media it’s simply easier.

Strong criticism, personal criticism and indeed unkindness are not abuse….

The actual definition….. abuse : treat with cruelty / violence…

Everything now is so blown out of proportion by the drama lamas and their cronies.

“ I was abused on the way to the shop “

“ ohhh that’s terrible, how ? “

“ I was told to get the fück out of politics, I was a useless politician “

Not a violent remark, not a very cruel remark. Not a particularly friendly or diplomatically phrased remark but so it goes. It’s NOT abusive… you enter public life, you choose it, you are answerable to irish citizens, they pay you. Fûck them under the bus, you’ll get strong and honest feedback. Stick your hand in a tank of piranha fish…. Don’t blame the fish because you lost your fingers, your actions are to blame. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You have a valid point - debate and discussion generally has become more bitter, polarised and personalised.. focussed too much on the messenger or the subject rather than their actions or performance.

To be fair, the politicians themselves don't exactly set the best example. You only need to watch a day in the Dail to see that. Squabbling back and forth like children a lot of the time. It's actually embarrassing to see!

That one I'm not sure how we here in this small corner of the web address, but for myself I do try to respond to any post I engage with honestly and fairly. I don't expect everyone (or anyone) to agree with me, but the respect of a reasonable reply or just acknowledgement when someone takes the time to reply would be a start - for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,712 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The country is in ruin but we should praise the new Taoiseach Harris as just in the job, is that what you would like?

Harris has been in the leading government for many years and failed in his departments so criticism is warranted

I see no issue when he tweets what his does during the day with people then asking what he is doing for Ireland and it's problems, shouldn't his own country be his first priority

TDs don't deserve abuse but do deserve to be criticised when doing a bad job and not answering questions, social media sometimes is the only way to get a point across as some main stream media go easy on them, I'm sure if any go door to door canvassing for the GE they will face tough questions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You're a little excited there Marko and jumping to a huge amount of conclusions. You want me to the care about the Twitter cesspit even though I am not on it?? I am suggesting people that don't like Twitter should leave it - isn't that logical. Are you bound by the platform and Elon? I have always thought Twitter was a stupid concept. Same for Facebook! Should I care about online abuse on FB even though I closed my account 10+ years ago. My only other social media is LinkedIn and that is tiresome these days, I hardly ever login.

Where have I got personal with politicians for example? One poster kept suggesting that all people critiquing Leo were homophobic until I pointed out that I campaigned in the marriage equality referendum. I am the least homophobic person you will meet in fact.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

More excuses for online abuse.

Oh you have decided to become a TD so that gives me the right to abuse you, that is what you are posting.

I hate to tell you but it doesn't. A TD is a job, that's it.

You can make as many excuses as you want but it won't change that fact. The same people who are so vocal online would never go up to a TD and have a conversation with them. Best they can do is hide in a crowd and roar abuse. Says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ah now go easy on poor Simon, it took him eight hours and 100 takes to get that TikTok video just right.. I'm sure he will give this old "Taoiseach job" a good go again starting on Monday! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Of course it's a cushy job. No better man to make it cushy. He has pulled many strokes in his time.

Tell me this, was there a recruitment campaign and selection process for these EU Special Representative roles? Did he get it on merit? Like hell he did, government crony nomination.

More qualified indeed 😉

And you seem to be drawing a complete blank on Dara Murphy (FG)? No comment?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

And that is certainly your entitlement. I would argue though that certain posters, probably just coincidentally, seem to spend a lot of time defending Govt policy from any and all criticisms.

As far as Im concerned Leo left the pitch…long live Leo

As far as I can gather most of the criticism of Simon relates to the maxim that the past is the best the indicator of future performance. So knock em dead Simon. It may well be that party politics held Simon back. Now that he is the main man he can throw off that particular yoke

indeed, but to extrapolate that anyone defending Govt policy against nothingburger accusations and genuine ones is “being enthralled with everything they do” is frankly stupid.

Need to up their game, genuine folk able to evaluate issues can cut them to ribbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭redoctober

On your last paragraph: That's the funny thing. It's often presented that because some people are in power (i.e not Sinn Fein or PBP) that it's not democratic…. Strange logic as the whole democratic process was followed. People voted and 75% of voters in the country voted for someone who wasn't Sinn Fein!! Yet in Mary-Lou and Pearse's limited minds this is a mandate for them to govern? Imagine that the other way round: "yes Mary-Lou, FG/FF got only 25% of the vote but they feel they have a clear mandate to govern based on the numbers"…...

Sad that there's a large co-hort that are swallowing their nonsense hook line and sinker.

You had people create accounts named after Leo's partner.

This raised some eyebrows.

That poster eventually got banned anyway.

The only issue is who has the authority to define what is a 'nothingburger' accusation? Just because a policy direction is inherently positive doesnt mean the policy is not exempt from criticism. The only game in town mantra seemed to embed itself in political discourse since the Troika felt to need to take over the running of the country to save us from ourselves. For example the desire to substantially increase the level or renewables in our electricity grid is a no brainer but bankrupting the country to achieve over zealous targets needs to be properly discussed

• Advertisement

Of course it's a cushy job. No better man to make it cushy.

Can you elaborate please on the exact nature of why it's a cushy job?

Just pontificating and shouting about it, doesn't make it so.

I am not a fan really of Labour or Gilmore, but I'm less of a fan of posters spouting made-up shite as if their world is gospel on the matter.

Advertisement