Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah it's madness. There well able to help Israel out by shooting stuff out of the air but not Ukraine. The world is getting more messed up by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Iran escalating with Israel is good and bad. More aid will go to Israel but Iran will sell less to Russia and Israel will probably respond by targeting drone facilities in Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

it’s all connected, russia and iran are in league with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It is certainly complicated. Will putins Republican Party continue to sit on their hands ?

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

The big question though. If Iran Vs Israel escalates and the US get involved defending the Israelis will that signal to China to start the Taiwan invasion. They may never have a better opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

china doesnt have the capacity to invade whatsoever but if they were crazy enough they might fire missiles. if they do that its game over for trade with china and a blockade on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DoyleLoneganYouFollow

The US has delivered hundreds of billions of dollars for Ukraine.

Why would you think anything hinges on who sits in the Oval Office? No amount of money is going to make much of a difference now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Rawr

Funding, munitions and supplies are exactly what will make a difference, in addition to the fighting will of the Ukrainians themselves.

Wars can be won and lost on the back of supply chains. This has been the case of larger previous conflicts, and the Ukraine War is little different. Russia has been throwing at Ukraine; the entirety of a Soviet stockpile built up during the Cold War for a Europe-wide conflict against NATO. It’s decrepit, outclassed often by 90’s tech, but there is plenty of it. This is Russia’s supply chain, which amounts to raiding stockpiles from another era and supplementing it with 2nd World Tech. Ukraine however currently need to rely upon NATO to supply them.

If Congress can get past the neo-facists in the number to reopen funding to Ukraine, the Russian military can be defeated at a discount price compared to the global conflict that NATO was originally arming against. There needs to be steady flow of this for the AFU to advance. If not, they need to focus on defence, which they appear to be doing now.

The Russians very desperately need Trump & the GOP to win in November or the US will most certainly return to funding Ukraine. The Russians do not have the means to continue this war indefinitely, and a funded Ukraine will eventually finish off the Russian military adventure inside thier borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭zerosquared

US can’t as bill in congress has funding for Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine with vast majority to Ukraine

EU won’t send anything

So no Israel won’t get priority, and yes Iran attack makes it harder for republicans to drag feet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The US has given little to nothing to Ukraine, especially not hundreds of billions of dollars. If they've given even $1b, I'd be surprised. What they have given is billions of dollars to the US for obsolete and end of life equipment that was due for scrappage but was then handed to the Ukraine. They're not nearly as generous as they like to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A slightly strange post.

Could you explain why you think that the US was "on the wrong side of history" with regards to the Korean war? A war started by the invasion of the South by the North.

Or is it, as I suspect, that you come to history & politics with a "The USA is bad, therefore…" approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,597 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Prepare to be surprised:

The Joe Biden administration and the U.S. Congress have directed about $75 billion in assistance to Ukraine, which includes humanitarian, financial, and military support, according to the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, a German research institute. (This figure does not include all war-related U.S. spending, such as aid to allies.)

https://www.cfr.org/article/how-much-aid-has-us-sent-ukraine-here-are-six-charts

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Hundreds of big ones. No. Not that much. In fact, most US finance to Ukraine has been spread about to cover a lot more than weapons. Also, a fair bit of that money goes directly to US weapons industry as all that gear sent to Ukraine has to be paid for. Its not free or anything.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

@johnnyskeleton

But Europe will turn cold towards the US as an unreliable defence and trade partner and seek to improve relations with China. US global hegemony will be over, and this will be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your world view. But, what is not a matter of debate is that the US economy would, in such circumstances shrink significantly. The US would also lack allies in its rivalry with China.

On the China-EU relations point, at the moment just can't see Europe (EU, as a bloc) improving relations with China very much. I expect they will get worse.

IMO this is kind of independent of support the US provides or withholds from Ukraine, and also independent of whatever bad stuff happens in future to the relations between the EU and the US (e.g. dawn of a new Trump era, God forbid).

So you could have an unfortunate situation where the EU is getting more isolated and relations with both of these 2 "superpowers" are worsening, with China (and potentially the US) trying to undermine us, rob us, carve us up into bits in their influence games.

China winks at at what Russia has been doing in Ukraine. They are Russia's main high technology supplier and trade partner now, have been a massive help to them in keeping their economy going under Western sanctions and enabling increases in weapons production.

There is a bloc of Eastern and Baltic states facing a real threat from Russia that are not going to want to be China's friend after all this, esp. if reports/claims by the US are right and they are now poking a toe past the stated "red line" of military aid to Russia (could actually prove to be some more empty US words that sound good with nothing behind it I fear, bold new policy could be on hold because it is a crucial election year).

Nor is Germany I think, who have sunk an awful lot into trying to help Ukraine (while China more and more openly backs Russia to destroy it) and whose industry and EU market is under threat from Chinese export dumping in Europe (mercantilist "dual circulation" policy of the Chinese govt.).

Not to mention industrial espionage and cyberattacks that until recently at least seem to be written off as a kind of acceptable Western corporate cost of doing business with China.

There's a few smaller and (IMO) short sighted + very greedy EU countries (incl. Ireland in that number!…we would sell our granny for some FDI) who are lured by and even encourage CCP investments and who could try and veto future trade sanctions against China at EU level, but I think there will now be a bloc in the EU that is opposed to any closer relationship with China for a long time.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So the veil was lifted just there on CNN via Marco Rubeo

When asked about this €60bn being held up in House of reps .. he said we could have that on the floor tomorrow and pass it FOR ISRAEL, no prob. Then asked about the portion for Ukraine he said yip has no problem funding Ukraine but only if he has a deal on the southern border.

So it appears Israel funding out of this 60bn is unconditional but Ukraine aid is conditional & tied to US southern border.

I thought it was all conditional on the southern border

J D Vance ( REP ) now on CNN with same craic. Basically saying that in order to fund Israel who is a far closer ally and Taiwan and the US itself, they cant afford to fund Ukraine also

Vance - Ukraine is not an ally and doesnt deserve being funded. Tomorrow the money for Israel only should be put tru congress, Israel is way more important to US than Ukraine is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭briany

My memory must be failing me because I seem to remember that there was already a compromise bill put on the floor which had aid for Ukraine in it plus measures on the southern border, but Republicans voted against it because Trump ordered them to, not wanting Biden to get credit for solving something Trump wanted to wield as an election issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Vance on CNN - Ukraine is not an ally and doesnt deserve being funded. Tomorrow the money for Israel only should be put tru congress, Israel is way more important to US than Ukraine is

The new story so appears to be BRING the Israel aid ( separate from Ukraine, Taiwan aid which is conditional to Southern Border ) to the floor in congress tomorrow and get it passed as the Senate already passsed it. Biden / Dems will have to pass it in congress otherwise ( with current events ) it would not be a good look at all. So again it seems Trump has the Dems / Biden by the balls ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Johnson already tried this before (bringing an Israel standalone) and the democrats didn't give in. Most realized it for what it was. A political move in order to make the other side look bad. Rather than a genuine attempt to get anything done. So I doubt he'll try that trick again.

I think the most plausible scenario is one of the below:

1. Johnson will bring a Ukraine bill to the floor that has one too many poison pills in it so that he knows the dems or the senate won't pass it quickly if at all. At which point he can throw his hands up and say he tried and blame Biden and the dems.
    2. Johnson will deflect and evade until he sends congress on another 2 week vacation end of next week. Then forevermore deflect, evade, dodge and stall.
    3. Johnson brings the current Senate passed bill to the floor and asks the Dems to protect him from a motion to vacate. Several democrats have openly said they'd protect him on the condition of a clean up or down vote on the Senate foreign aid bill.

Take your pick of any of these. I've ordered them in the likeliness they are to happen in my mind.

The other scenarios outside Johnson to get the bill to the floor:

• The discharge petition: https://clerk.house.gov/DischargePetition/2024031209?CongressNum=118 . Is currently sitting at 195 signatures and climbing gradually. It needs 218. The republicans probably aren't going to sign it until they know it'll hit 218. So we know at least that there's less than 23 republicans willing to sign it currently. Some probably aren't signing it because they hate Israel. And some more are probably waiting to see if Johnson actually brings a bill to the floor himself.
    • Only 2 more moderate republicans quitting Congress early would give democrats the majority in the house and pass the speakership to Hakeem Jeffries. At which point the bill will hit the floor in short order. The moderate republicans are constantly making noise about MAGA republicans openly spouting russian propaganda and being chaotic. And they're getting fed up of it. So this could easily happen.

Anyways. That's just what's in my head.

Ukraine must feel hugely abandoned now, particularly by the US via Trump and his political party called the GOP / Republicans.

How hollow this phrase "we will be with you to the end" or similar is. Maddening soundbites because that is all they are, worthless .. and from the get go, when Russia invaded Ukraine in feb 2022, and when I heard leaders inc EU with there soundbite statements I knew they would be utter worthless, regardless of how well meaning, as they have proven now to be, esp from the USA via Trump and his political party called the GOP / Republicans. .

( also see my comments above re Marco Rubio and JD Vance saying Ukraine is not an ally and not worth supporting )

We, especially in Europe will rue these days as we are at the forefront of whats to come.

Post edited by aidanodr on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭briany

To say that Ukraine has been abandoned by the US is pretty cynical and without nuance because the most pivotal event which has stymied US aid to Ukraine hasn't really been trouble with Israel, rather it's been the Republican party retaking the US House of Representatives, making it considerably more difficult to pass bills which get aid to the country. It's also to ignore that US defence contractors are still working with Ukraine, that US ex-military personnel are still volunteering to fight in Ukraine and that US intelligence is still working with Ukraine.

It would be more accurate to say that the Republican party of the United States are working against Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Putin laughing all the way at this, good ol divide and conquer. Just when whatever support there was for Israel was beginning to slip, Iran intervenes again and the USA/ UK rush to save Netanyahu's bacon. All focus on Israel and giving them protection. Meanwhile he can prosecute his imperial war of conquest much less hindered.

@briany Adjusted my post to include some of what you said

BUT the US political system is as it is because the citizens seem to leave it that way and do not push for adequate change? They are also polarised and divided. So surely the US population also to shoulder some blame in this? In a democracy they are the only people with the power to change surely?

What it has proven is the US political system is broken completely and in need of a complete overhaul. Proof in the pudding of this is Trump has shown up its big flaws via gaming the current broken system successfully. To me anyway here we have Trump in Maralago being president without being in office with visits from House speaker over weekend to get orders from the boss. He is running the show via controlling the US House of Representatives which seems to be all that any party needs to do going forward ( one of the many broken things )?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Field east

what if The US wants an ally in that area! Ie UKr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Field east

I thought that the whole bill was all in or nothing gets funded ? If they are suggesting that they fund Israel seperately well why then did Congress do that from the beginning ie circa nov-dec last?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement