Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

my car has started to smell like a brewery. 5 attempts at returning cans and 5 times I’ve had to put the bag back in the boot.

What will it be like in the height of summer when the wasps are swarming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The barcode is the main proof to the machine that the can/bottle is in the scope of the scheme. For high volume lines like coke cans there will be separate barcodes for ROI and NI stock. If you didnt have the barcodes the scope for fraud would be major.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Barcodes are needed because the till reads the barcode and knows what to charge then the RVM reads the same barcode and knows what to return

If you didn't have barcodes you'd have to charge a deposit and return it by the weight of the material and that then gets very complicated with the only real benefit of being able to crush the products

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Was in Lidl today with a bag full of recycling. Machine stopped working after a few bottles so moved to other one, same thing happened.

Coincidentally, there was a staff member in the vicinity. He was extremely gruff when I told him. He told me, tersely, to "read the instructions". It was at that stage I noticed a printed out A4 page stuck on the front of the machine. These instructions were supplementary to the other instructions printed on the actual machine!

Anyways these additional instructions tell you to take the tops off all bottles. Surprised that this was necessary. So this means that I now have to recycle the tops separately?? I guess the machines can't compact them with the lids on.

TLDR: Lidl staff not very happy to deal with you about machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And then the clowns running the system tell you that you can leave the tops on and actually encourage it...

"You can return your empty, undamaged plastic bottle with or without the lid. We recommend returning bottles with caps, because this will ensure that the cap is recycled, too. Also, if the bottle cap is still on, it is easier to preserve the shape of the bottle."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

We're getting mixed messages about bottle caps putting shyite RVMs out of order. Meanwhile in Australia:

We could have created a similar scheme instead of a money grabbing shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I read recently there is a new EU law coming in that requires the lids to be attached to the bottles, and I’ve noticed Coke have already implemented this. Seems odd the Lidl machines can’t cope with lids if this is going to be standard.

I have to say I find the scheme a pain. I haven’t had any problems with the machines in my local Aldi being out of order yet, but I’ve gone from having a small crate in my utility room to collect glass jars to bring to the bottle bank and putting all other recycling material in my green bin to being barely able to move with cans and plastic bottles now added to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I was great at recycling for the last 15 years plus in blue bins and black bins. Now I don't give a dam about any of it. Because of this new bull **** I'm paying twice now. And it doesn't suit me at the moment. To bring back bottles I will burn them now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl are the ones making stuff up here. You leave the tops on, indeed the tops aren't meant to be removable from any bottles across the EU within a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The shop assistants at my local village shop said the same thing about caps yesterday. There is a small machine there and it’s not been in a month yet and has been out of action for most of that time. They’re fed up having to talk about it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

So the shops get 2.2 cent per item and they have to have the machine on site.and I suppose they have to pay for the electricity for them too.

Then someone has to empty them and who brings to the waste depot.

This half arsed scheme is causing a lot more pollution and generally wasting peoples time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

There is no way shops will ever breakeven let alone make money on this scheme.

Cost of initial POS system update and ongoing licence/support fee.

Cost of Machine, installation and Maintenance.

Cost of Electricity.

Cost of manpower.

Loss from of reduced shelf space.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

We can't have a scheme like that because the quango must be paid. How? By deposits being charged but not being redeemed. A system set up to supposedly to increase recycling rates relies on people not recycling to fund itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

Were the retailer's forced to sign up to this .and whats the reason for not taking dog/cat food tins.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. And because there isn't a particular problem with food tins being dumped on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭zell12

If you don't take the payout receipt in time, the machine snaps it back. You then have to get a member of staff to get the key to open up the machine and find the bit of paper

I don't think the non removable caps will be a problem as they remain attached to the bottle but not screwed onto it. It seems that the Lidl machine issue is when the bottle top is screwed onto the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Archeron

Seems they're deleting posts on social media again, guessing they arent getting the warm fuzzy responses to the bullsiht they're peddling

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Never had an issue with a screwed in bottle top on a Lidl machine......

Yet

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where there's muck there's brass, particularly when you are carrying 15 ton of it in the back of your work vehicle…

https://www.tiktok.com/@brooksie..d/video/7356135857037888801

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Fair play to them I say. At some point re-turn might make the same connection to reality these boys have.

People are putting these items in recycling, undermining the goal of 90%.

Therefore I say re-turn find a way to give Panda, AES, and other collectors the deposits back.

And if you think that's ridiculous remember the alternative is to double the deposit, then triple it until the plebs start using RVMs.

I'd be surprised if it was only the one branch that had these new additional instructions stuck up on them. I assume the machines are all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭nachouser

Re the bottle top thing, I was in a Next Door off-licence the other day and they have printed signs up saying to remove the bottle top. shrugs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Funnily enough, today I was shown a video of a recycling truck from a nameless company parked up by an Aldi RVM, the two lads from it pulling containers out of two massive black bags and stuffing them into the machine. They might be getting that money one way or another...

Edit: oops I think that video that was taken down might have been it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The video is a few posts up - double oops, removed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

Ive nothing against this. Waste collectors making the best of it and can see it being a regular occurrence (probably a lot more regular in future) for them to get lost revenue back. Could even be a necessity to prevent job losses. However doesn't this inflate the numbers? The Re-Turn spoofers will be on the radio again soon testifying the return % is rising hence public engagement with the scheme is rising.

Machines getting filled up then needing emptied by retail staff to get them back online. Machines also off limits to the public while this is happening whereas before Re-Turn the waste collectors simply emptied the green / blue bin and off to separate etc. at their own premises. Job done.

This scheme just doesn't fit with what we have. Crowbarred in by a bunch of gombeen chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

I have to say Lidl machines are absolutely brutal; my local Lidl (Whitestown) never seems to have any working machines, and don’t even get me started on the “remove lids” thing…what a load of crap.

Apart from that I’ve used Dunnes ones and they were fine, no issues.

FWIW I have a friend in NL, Lidl poses the same issue there. Dodgy experience all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Same never an issue with bottle caps attached to bottles and going into a Lidl machine=before the DRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Neither had I. Was at the machine the other day feeding it and it was satisfying hearing the pop as the bottle was crushed and the cap popped. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Anyone else hate the new lids on the bottles.

Advertisement