Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭anewme

A lot of drama over football which is not relevant to the thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mod warning:

The topic of discussion isn't the Soccer charter, so get it back on topic.

If you need to discuss the Soccer charter, then PM the soccer mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think it is relevant in terms of the site losing members due to perceived over moddiñg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't know if it has been accepted that the issue with modding is 'over modding'.

The reason I've stopped using the site is significantly modding related but with respect to these points rather than 'over modding' as such.

• Modding inconsistency
    • Modding being initiated and implemented solely as an action of a flagged post
    • Modding being applied without context
    • The application of 'don't being a dick' rule being entirely subjective.
    • Dispute resolution process (escalation through CMod's) flat out not working
    • Militant application on some threads, none on more.
    • Lack of modding process application visibility
    • Lack of knowledge of process amongst mods
    • Moderation stifling conversations that may be unpleasant to some degree, but are happening in society and there should be an effort for them to take place on a platform like Boards rather than just shutting them down

In terms of resolving the biggest issue, which is the moderation that everyone is talking about, there has been action taken on 'back seat modding' for quite a while but maybe having more of the community able to participate in such behaviour to help keep conversations or individuals in check without having the finger of wrath pointed at them for doing so would actually lead to more of a self policing environment which could help make better use of the few mods left around here than what is currently happening. Just a thought.

I dropped in to the thread a few times the last few days but didn't contribute but wanted to see the flow of the conversation. This did have me shaking my head.

The single poster in question at that point had finally been banned for implying that mods were circling the wagons. To be threadbanned for this, given the thread, really had me thinking that this in itself is a synopsis of the problem with the site. I didn't necessarily agree with the comment or sentiment, but was it ban worthy? No, in my view (even if there had been some other comments that proceeded it) and the ban and reaction on the thread to it really only served to suggest the poster had come quite close to some degree of truth in their post.

There was conversation here during the week that young people are most definitely not using discussion boards, and maybe that is the case, but if it is, it doesn't make sense to be trying to moderate like chaperones at a teenage disco in 1970's Ireland where the tiniest bit of inappropriate behavior sees the lights turned on and the perpetrators marched out of there. Or it being an environment where the 'chaperones' cannot be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And modding is a big part of me stepping away as I have done, but there are other reasons.

Loss of fun features (top liked posts daily), Ask Me Anything threads, what seems to be zero attempt to encourage conversations from the site operators/controllers or whatever is the correct term. There just doesn't seem to be any threads now that there used to be in the past which I would find X number of days in and spend an enjoyable couple of hours in reading from the start. Things like this were a big part of what brought me to the site. Being able to see who had thanked a post is something I miss since the changeover and I think makes me feel less engaged or that I have less in common with some posters than I used to experience in the past.

I do think the site could initiate and promote such conversations at fixed times to help them build traction. Or a dedicated day, night or period of time identified in advance and advertised on a tab on the home page where a particular topic or question is discussed for example in the same way that match threads are obviously centered around a particular event at a particular time.

One of the things I haven't seen on previous editions of these threads, or on this one (but maybe I've missed it) is contributions from particular site influencers (Beasty/Admins/Mike) on what they are doing to try to promote activity or ideas that they have around this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭Xander10

Excellent post @ Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Another example of a thread just being closed with no explanation.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A blind man on a galloping horse could see why that thread was closed. It was a consumer issue which had been asked and answered and then went way off course. It was in Consumer Issues, not After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Administrators Posts: 13,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The single poster in question at that point had finally been banned for implying that mods were circling the wagons. To be threadbanned for this, given the thread, really had me thinking that this in itself is a synopsis of the problem with the site. I didn't necessarily agree with the comment or sentiment, but was it ban worthy?

He wasn't banned for that post. He was warned for it, after the moderators had ignored a lot of his previous comments. He had already received a warning on thread for derogatory comments. He was banned for this 3rd action on the thread for commenting on moderator action. A pretty standard action across all forums.

He was an excellent example of low-level trolling that posters have complained about. A lot of his comments were ignored so he had to keep pushing trying to get a reaction.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The funny thing is, the "Best Of" tab is visible via Chrome on my (android) phone, but when you tap on the tabs, there is nothing there.

I can't find it at all on my computer? I assume it's yet another vanilla thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nah, this poster was pushing his luck and took it a bit too far.

Insidious low level trolling is a lot more sophisticated than that.

Well then users are going to have get on board with moderators to clamp down on it. Don't engage and report to moderators. Include links to a few specific posts etc. Moderators can also be PMd rather than reporting posts if necessary. Reporting posts is the standard practice and will draw a moderators attention to particular posts. But if you recognise a pattern with a poster composing a PM with links/quoted posts etc will make it easier to look in to too.

Funny though how one poster sees the mod action against the poster on this thread as being a bit heavy handed and that there was some truth in the "circling wagons" comment, while another poster sees it as he was pushing his luck and went too far. I suppose that could also feed into complaints about inconsistent mods though. 2 people saw exactly the same interaction on this thread and came away with 2 opposite opinions on the situation. Posters will differ. So will mods.

I'm not going to deny inconsistent moderation happens. I know it does. There are variables in everything. People vary. Posters vary. Moderators vary. Some posters will have a background, some won't. Some "regulars" might be warned while newer poster will be given a chance. Some "regulars" might get away with a bit more if they've a reputation for being generally a good poster where a new poster might be warned if they come straight in with a flaming post. It's not a one size fits all. In general moderators are (or at least should be) trying to keep the forum from descending into a sht show where everyone is just arguing.

There has always been, and will always be complaints against moderators. Sometimes they are justified. Sometimes they are not. Posters in general have been excellent on this thread and all the voices will need to be listened to. There are some very valid points being raised. But I'm afraid the site will never please everyone. That's impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

It doesn't mean a simple explanation can't be attached. I just noticed a moderator managed to post in the thread over 8 hours after it was closed down somehow.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

deleted, no evidence of mod post.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Murt2024

OP here, from what I can tell Beasty ruined the site been smart with people with 5k posts. They tried to compromise but a smart reaction every time from him on prison forum. Why would you do that to great posters?

My way or the high way is seems to be what happening with boards and moderators. Its like been in the leaving cert again and mods acting like teachers.

You do know right that you do need attract a younger generation? Anyone left on boards is at least in their 40's

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭REDBULL68

What's the point of this ,it has over 34,000 views and posts on this thread alone, so it's obviously growing, if ya don't like it go somewhere else .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't think Beasty was that hard in the prison forum, if you ended up there you usually had done something wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭tom23

Excellent post. Ive been warned a couple of times for 'trolling' and I have to say Jesus if thats trolling, I give up. Over modding… I dont know..

But a general question, do mods when they apply a warning is it based on someone reporting the post or them going through each one?

Hiya Murt2024,

Since signing up in January you've started 4 threads. 3 of them complaining about Boards.ie, 1 asking Billie Eilish to go out with you.

Genuine question: If it's so terrible why do you continue to visit the site? (It's hardly to see if Billie Eilish has answered your thread) Membership is voluntary as is visiting the site. I can never understand people who endlessly complain about something while continuing to do it.

Did you email datarequests@boards.ie to close your account as advised?

• Advertisement

It depends. Reported posts are looked through. Not every reported post will need to be warned though.

If a moderator is reading a thread they may see a post themselves that needs to be actioned and do so without knowing if anyone has reported it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I completely agree. I had never had a thread ban until the most recent iteration of boards, even when discussing very controversial topics. Now “discussion” and “debate” is difficult unless the opinions being discussed are completely non contentious.
    it is a pity, because Boards discussions have helped change my opinion on some matters and certainly inform my opinion by seeing different perspectives in others.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I actually think it's not that far of being draconian. Im pissed over my latest warning, and In saying all that, thats on heated, divisive topics. I dunno if they are stricter on these topic.

I still think the DIY is golden. Have solved more problems in my house thanks to that topic. Maybe I should I should solely stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think too many on this thread are judging the Moderation, traffic, and usefulness of Boards based on just a very few forums like CA, Soccer or After Hours. There's a host of other vibrant forums on the site where discussion thrives, advice is given, moderators rarely get involved and posters aren't bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Packrat

Here we are discussing low level trolling and how to combat it, and meanwhile over on one of the most contentious threads, the biggest offender across several has the one single threadban against them lifted. One little bit of moderation over thousands of dung posts and several posters banned for quarreling with that user, and now it's reversed.

There's no point. This is a farce.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The problem, as I see it, is a lot of posters do not know what "be civil" means.

And I mean that quite literally, they actually do not know that it means to be civil to other people

(if it’s the same poster Im thinking off) i done a roger moore eyebrow shift when I saw the ban lifted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

nice post.

One of my least favourite quirks of boards is the complete inability to appeal thread bans. It makes zero sense. It has happened to me twice, once deserved and the other time absolutely not.

Raised it to the admins via DRP, was just told “you can’t appeal thread bans via DRP” and left it at that. It was incredibly frustrating after all the time I have put into disputes with my moderation over the years.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Has anyone with a threadban PMd the moderator, or maybe a different moderator in the forum? A ban might be applied but on discussion overturned. As it seems it has been in the above case.

As pointed out above "be civil" gets you a long way. Both on threads and in discussion with moderators.

• Advertisement

I got a thread ban lifted but got it again. Imo it was harsh, considering some of the other stuff I've seen posted. I guess one, myself included, really has to look at the difference between sarcasm and trolling. It's a fine line imo. I do think some posters on certain threads get away with their own low level of trolling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement