Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure as good an idea as any, your harking back to oft called glory days of Ireland when we had a series of local kingships / chieftainships and were supposedly in charge of our destiny before the dastardly Normans arrived and stole the four Green Fields, with the approval of the Pope of the day.

A more modern version of that and suggested before on this thread would be five elected regional assembles with an overarching elected state assembly: Ulster, Leinster, Munster, Connacht and Greater Dublin (old Meath if you like). Get rid of all the county councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,494 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why though?
    To appease Unionists who refuse the democratic wishes of the electorate?

There isn't even a sign in each of the regions that they want devolved administration. It's cuckoo stuff from those who cannot tolerate the idea of a UI

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭mehico

Don't think anything can or should be ruled in or out at this stage. Future constitutional change has become more of a focus in recent years but the government so far has been avoiding setting out its vision on what Irish unity will actually look like.

It does appear that constitutional change is becoming part of the main agenda though and it is interesting to note at this weekend’s FG ard-fheis that a motion was passed to establish a New Ireland Forum that would set out such a vision.

Similarly, the Labour Party at their annual conference a few weeks ago said that planning for a UI must start in the next government and that they would set up dedicated department tasked with unity planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭downcow

you couldn’t possibly be more wrong. I absolutely do not mean unionists. I mean Northern Irish. I know that it is very disconcerting for you that many from a nationalist background now regard themselves as northern Irish.

You are mixing up a constitutional monarchy that has a parliamentary democracy with a theocracy. UK is not a theocracy.

• Advertisement

Unionism is not an identity downcow

You can be British and be a supporter of Irish nationalism (I know several who do)

You can be Irish and be a supporter of NI Unionism (see this thread)

Your mistake of course is thinking that the Northern Irish identity supports devolution or independence for NI. You have zero evidence for that of course.

The British monarchy like the OO is a sectarian institution.

72% of the population of ni voted for devolution the last time it was tested. But I guess you know better.

52% voted for Brexit. 55% now think it was wrong just a few years after it was done. What is your point? That nothing changes?

P.s. In the referendum you refer to nobody was given a choice on devolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭pureza

Well only because its head is the head of the CoE

You cant have a catholic or muslim as head of the CoE

Although it is rather bizarre that the head was a woman for decades when women clergy werent around

Technically a Roman Catholic cant be UK PM either as they recomnend names for Archbishops of Canterbury although Tony Blair was a secret catholic as was Borris

• Advertisement

That was a decision made to discriminate against other religions.
    It prevents them becoming the head of state.

whatever of a foreign invader and occupier of the past, your constitution now supports the existence of two countries on this island. So are you not wanting your constitution changed? Or are you happy with it supporting the existence of OWC?

Both constitutions (or what passes for one in the UK) support the dissolution of NI if a majority require that to happen. It's a colony/region/statelet up for grabs to the best bid.

Basically the current owners have passed up having any say in what happens. 'it is for the people of Ireland to decide their fate' which is a tacit admission that they never, as a government, had the right to have a say.

I can't imagine how I would feel if my government said, your future is in the hands of others and basically we don't have an opinion/care either way. I certainly would not be happy to continue under that government especially if they continued to relegate my interests and separate from me, as the British have repeatedly done to Unionism. I would be looking for ways where I could best influence my own fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mmm.

We do have the slightly unusual situation that (a) the people of Great Britain get no say in whether the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is to be dissolved, but (b) the people of Ireland (the state) do get a say (as in, they can prevent a dissolution of the UK that would otherwise happen if they vote not to unify with NI).

A scenario in which NI votes to unify with IRL but IRL votes not to unify with NI is, to be honest, wildly unlikely in real life. But it does remain a striking fact that IRL, not a part of the UK, gets to vote on the dissolution of the UK while GB, a part of the UK, does not.

What explains this is that almost nobody in GB would think of the departure of NI as the "dissolution of the UK", even though that is what it would be. In the same way, very few people in GB think of the UK as a country which split in two as a result of a violent conflict just over a hundred years ago, although that is exactly what happened.

(They don't think like this because they don't really think of Ireland, north or south, as a proper part of their country. It's more a vestige of empire — important for status, and not without moral and political obligations and responsiblities but, ultimately, neither it or its people are truly British any more than, say, Gibraltarians or Bermudans or Montserratians are. If they choose to leave, this has no more implications for the UK as a state, or for the British people as a nation, than did, say, the independence of Jamaica in 1962.)

None of this means, though, that the future of NI is "in the hands of others" because, of course, the people of NI do get a vote. If they vote to stay in the UK they get to stay in the UK regardless of how the people of IRL vote or how the people of GB would vote, if they were permitted to vote. The future of NI is in the hands of others only to the extent that NI cannot unite with IRL unless IRL agrees to that, but that's hardly an unusual limitation on the freedom of any country to decide its political future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Ireland Thinks poll shows that 42% would not pay any extra tax for a UI and 10% wouldn't vote for it under any circumstances.

While the worst case economic scenario is unlikely to happen, the assumptions of Doyle and Hubner if correct don't significantly change the outlook with significant tax increases still being required.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/editorial-massive-cost-of-united-ireland-cannot-be-ignored/a568095914.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The poll makes bad reading from a UI point of view.

No government is going to touch this anytime soon.

The FF FG nexus created the system and show no real appetite to end it.

As I mentioned you are wrong in that asertion.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41046614.html

It's curious to note that British SF and Irish SF have disagreements here.

Haha, a classic case of playing the man Francie.

You must be very desperate to try and sully the man's reputation after he hammered a nail into the UI coffin.

Would you be prepared to pay increased personal taxes to fund a united Ireland, which a new study has found would cost €20 billion a year for 20 years?

They'll never frame the question the way a campaign will be run.
    Basically, here is the cost and this is what the investment will bring.
    43% will pay a cost and 5% are undecided even when the scary numbers are mentioned in the question.

A classic attempt to deflect from the post content.
    The man seems desperate for clickbait type publicity.
    He has a new Institute to promote after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The importance of phrasing in polling can't be overstated.

Phrasing any polling question around, 'would you pay extra tax' is always going to push a much heavier negative number, much like the wishy washy, 'would you hypothetically some day' phrasing pushes an overwhelmingly positive number. A question based around, 'would you pay extra' when a highly questionable €20bn p/a for 20 years has been floated all over the media at the time will of course lead to an increased negative representation.

The reality on the day will land somewhere between the two extremes. Romantic notions will have an impact, tax concerns will of course have an impact. Whatever has been happening recently with e.g. Loyalist violence in NI in reaction to a border poll being called will impact some people's decision, how well fleshed out the long term planning based around it will impact some people's decision.

With how widely different numbers show up based on how the question is phrased, you can find a poll to support your point regardless of what perspective you take (except perhaps Blanch's independent NI wishes). The wild variance based on phrasing makes trend observation very difficult, and I'd argue not of huge value.

Mostly it seems the, 'value' is in people cherry picking a recent poll that supports their existing position and using it to smugly assert how right they are.

You are ignoring the questions asked.

10% will never vote for a UI

42% will never vote for a UI if it means any tax increase.

That is 52%, and we have not even talked about flags, anthems, monarchy and all that symbolic stuff.

Its dead Francie. Its not going to happen in our lifetimes.

A new institute?

Tell us, when was the IIEA founded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Mostly it seems the, 'value' is in people cherry picking a recent poll that supports their existing position and using it to smugly assert how right they are.

Jaysus I just love it when my point is proven almost instantly.

Once upon a time 95% would have voted against SSM.

If you can show me a poll where people were asked would they be willing to pay more taxes and then threw in the highest figure you could find and people voted 'Yes', you might be able to shut the conversation down.
    Even FG can see what is coming here, they pulled themselves onto the bandwagon at their Ard Fheis and even Simon is careful to be heard hoping for a UI

Phrasing any polling question around, 'would you pay extra tax' is always going to push a much heavier negative number, much like the wishy washy, 'would you hypothetically some day' phrasing pushes an overwhelmingly positive number. 

Paying for a UI is going to be an inevitability. That is a certainty. That is going to have to be funded either through more borrowing or more taxes or more likely both.

This report puts paid to the idea that a UI will be cost-free in the short to medium term at least. It will have to be paid for somehow.

Those advocating a UI but totally refusing to deal with the realities of it, like SF and some posters here are just lying to themselves and the people they are trying to convince.

There is no simple, Mom Apple Pie solution here.

And even if the numbers are only half right, are people willing to pay an extra €10 billion a year in taxes or borrowing for what could be a vanity project for romantic Irish Nationalists?

Utterly unlikely and a deluded position imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

Thankfully so.

The romantic idea of a united Ireland is all fine and good but the financial and potential turmoil it would bring would not be worth it.

If old blighty were to foot the bill in its entirety (they should, they caused the mess) it may ease some of the concerns I would harbour. However, the potential violence from unionist factions would still weigh heavy I would say.

Once upon a time 95% of people in the Republic would have voted for a UI, maybe in the 1920's or 1930's when the country was an agrarian economic backwater of little worth.

Now, however, we are wealthier and thus have more to lose. People are ultimately self-interested when it comes to economic questions. According to the poll, 52% of people will not vote for a UI if it cost them a cent.

But you make the point for me.

The longer this goes on, the more likely that people in the South will deviate away from supporting a UI and will be happy with the status quo with cross-border institutions and shared Island initiatives and the like.

A compromise so to speak.

The romantic idea of a united Ireland is all fine and good but the financial and potential turmoil it would bring would not be worth it.

That is the big question really.

Would it be worth it?

What exactly would that €10 billion or €20 billion a year be buying us?

In many ways we already share the island, we have many all-Ireland institutions. It suits the majority, why change it for the whims of the minority at such great cost?

Apart from romantic ideals of nationhood and being 're—united, which are all whishy-washy stuff.

Fun Fact: the island of Ireland has never been 'united' under a single Irish ruler in the first place, so it would be a first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The poll question is fairly loaded; the implication is that the new study is objectively correct when in fact it's contested, and it also inaccurately summarises what the study actually concludes.

Given this, I think it's quite striking that 43% of respondents said they would be prepared to pay more tax, versus 42% who said they would not.

Advertisement