Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The point of this scheme is to bring our recycling rate of cans and bottles up from ~60% to 90%+ nothing more, nothing less. Recycling more helps protect the environment and makes the planet livable into the future. This isn't an opinion, this is fact, backed up by science and a general understanding of how the planet work

Anybody who thinks differently are the delusional ones. Anybody who thinks our govt have an ulterior motive on this scheme is giving our govt too much brain credit in my opinion

its backlash towards the scheme and giving up on recycling as a whole, directly as a result of the scheme. can be called a form of protest in some way, or just having enough, calling it a day and being done with it all at this point, and being done with supporting it any further. Return caused this. people are sick of all these green pseudo taxes and being bossed around, bullied and told what to do by a system that just ignores them anyway and does as it sees fit, so they're fighting back by doing what they see fit, and by intentional non-compliance.

I get that you were playing devils advocate. I accept that the system pisses a lot of people off, it's pissed me off a lot since it came in, but protesting by harming the environment is surely not the way to go? The entire reason we have the scheme in the first place is because too many people weren't separating their recycling properly from their waste

Being lied to, also comes into it. People are only discovering now with threads like these where their recycleables are really going and where they have been going the past many years. it feels hopeless to some and pointless to recycle if the stuff is not even actually being recycled. the public already did their part, private bin companies who collected our recycleables, and our government are all to blame and at fault for this mess and the "low recycling numbers" which gave birth to this drs scheme. Now people see it as being punished for helping out, and the system demanding even more help from the people to clean the mess they, not the people, have made.

We were never lied to. We always knew that we weren't recycling enough. People still threw the food waste into the recycling bin, or the cans into the waste bin and just didn't care. You might feel like you are being punished but if think of the environmental benefits surely the small inconvenience is worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The only thing MUP and DRS have in common is that is that neither is a tax.

MUP is straightforward legal robbery by which the Government empowered retailers by statute to take extra money from their customers. Money which they can never recover.

The whole point of DRS is we are supposed to get the money back.

That's why we need to do all we can to make sure we get refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Charging money first, and then returning it later is a tax. Always has been for any scheme introduced this way. had they made it 5c-10c and you didnt pay a deposit, that would have been an incentive for folks to reduce their costs, but now its just a tax they can get back if they put it more effort than they had to before.

But, lets go with your argument that this is pure. Who is it for?

I recycled at home, this is now more steps and more costs for me. More points of failure. Since I recycled everything i could already It wont have impact on me. How about for someone that didnt recycle at home. Are they now going to take the extra effort to recycle, for a couple of euro, or just forget about it. Leaving money is someone else's pocket.

Lets dig in more.

You say its for the environment.

How much money and power do all of the machines use?. How many extra trucks/work hours are needed to collect the recycling vs the greens bin that are still being collected. This negate the benefits and will do for a very long time.

More importantly. Why isn't the uncollected money automatically used to reduce costs of recycling at home, or in other areas to increase recycling efforts. It's because its about generating money.

How much money and power do all of the machines use?. How many extra trucks/work hours are needed to collect the recycling vs the greens bin that are still being collected. This negate the benefits and will do for a very long time.

I don't know the answers. Do you have figures to back up your claims that they negate the benefits and will do for a very long time or is that just a baseless claim? If you're so annoyed by it, have you reached out to re-turn to find out?

Important to remember that general waste gets crushed before getting added to landfill and recycling mostly gets crushed after separation so is extra energy being consumed or just energy being moved from one building to another?

More importantly. Why isn't the uncollected money automatically used to reduce costs of recycling at home, or in other areas to increase recycling efforts. It's because its about generating money.

It does. Your point has very little to do with the environment though… Can't wait to hear where you actually think the uncollected money goes

I recycled at home, this is now more steps and more costs for me. More points of failure. Since I recycled everything i could already

Do you not still recycle at home? How is it more steps when you're bringing the containers with you while doing your shopping?

It wont have impact on me. How about for someone that didnt recycle at home. Are they now going to take the extra effort to recycle, for a couple of euro, or just forget about it. Leaving money is someone else's pocket.

Yes, that's the plan anyway, just like they did in other countries where the scheme was introduced. I'm glad you are finally understanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who do you propose funds the return-without-deposit money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Says the person who thinks this scheme will make somebody rich… Most of the world worries for you

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Everyone who pays their recycling bin charge??

Which we are STILL doing now.

The scheme was probably well intentioned but

1. It can only work as the "only option" scheme, like in Germany. We already had a existing recycling scheme, which worked well for the vast majority of people, but we have been let down by the process which happens beyond our house boundaries.

2. It was incredibly poorly implemented. I don't need to go through them myriad of teething problems that brand new machines had (which will only get worse as depreciation happens) but the inability to get a digital refund, the inability to spend the refund in a different store, and the hassle given to punters who want a cash return, are all examples of how the scheme doesn't work properly.

When we put material into our recycling minds at home, which we pay for, we fully expect that the material is properly recycled when it gets to the recycling centres. We find out later that a significant amount of material is brought to land fill, or is used in incineration. That's not something that was ever explained to me when I first requested a recycling bin, probably 20 years ago at this stage.

This obviously means that a significant portion of the 40% of material that wasn't being recycled was actually in the possession of recycling companies, not individuals, so for me the obvious way to improve on the 60% success rate was to target these companies and either enforce or support them to improve THEIR lack of ability to recycle the material that was not only given to them for free, but for which they were actually paid to recycle.

It took me three car journeys from my rural house last weekend to deposit a bag of material, due to machines having the "red hand says no"

So much for helping the environment

So that would be you getting your own money back, just like this system is then

Anyone who proposes that you should get money back without paying a deposit needs to explain where they think the money is coming from, if it isn't just them via a circuitous route.

Germans have domestic recycling too; and our domestic recycling system was absolutely not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Our recycling rate for aluminium cans was already above the dubious figures you are stating.

Over 900 million aluminium drink can are sold in Ireland each year.  In 2019 the recycling and recovery rate was 79% (2019 figures)

https://www.aluproireland.ie/consumers/why-is-recycling-aluminium-so-important/#:~:text=Over%20900%20million%20aluminium%20drink,think%20we%20can%20do%20better!

So by your own declared standard, is that "delusional"?

Again with vague words which mean nothing… "A general understanding of how the planet work" does not necessarily translate to it making sense to recycle items either from an environmental or economic perspective.

So, cans were included not for any environmental reason or recycling target reason but because it was needed to make the economics of the scheme work.

Whether the government had an ulterior motive or not, the scheme has been captured by rent seekers and retailers to the detriment of consumers and the overall functioning of the scheme in my opinion. The increase in the size of exemptions, the consequent lack of manual returns means that item rejection issues are shoved onto the consumer to deal with or accept loss of deposit. We seem to have the largest exemption and in some other countries, if the machine is out of order manual returns must be accepted by the retailers. Why not here? What ulterior motive is in play and by whom?

Similarly the lack of bulk returns at government recycling centres is another failure. But probably the retailers wanted more punters in the door.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

My god. Just look at your posts in this thread. Have a good look at them.

Lost the plot.

Care to share an example of where I lost the plot?

Well the salaries paid to the top Re-turn staff would qualify under that description to "most of the world".

And it will be a nice little earner for the other staff employed, those providing the machines, trucks etc

And also large retailers if they get enough volume of returns, it will increase their profits.

Oh no, you mean people are earning a wage for work done? Who allowed such a monstrosity to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good money to be made distributing and maintaining the machines, good money. At least there seems to be a few companies competing for the business, but still a lot of needless expenditure.

So are people and companies making money from this scheme or not? Because above you seemed to deny it.

That from one post to the next you have to shift the goalposts entirely with added strawmanning "such a monstrosity" is proof positive you've lost the argument.

Ever heard of feather bedding? It's invented inefficient work.

I was already paying for all this to be done through my recycling company green bin collection. They were earning a wage for the work done. This is duplication. Now I will likely have to pay more for refuse collection and have to deal with the hassle of returns myself in order to reclaim my deposits. So should I be entitled to compensation for that? Is is a "monstrosity" that I am not?

A Re-turn scheme doesn't have to be setup to the benefit of the 'rent seekers', retailers etc but that is how our one seems to be. The large size for exemptions. The lack of manual returns. Having to go into a store to spend the voucher or get your cash back. The lack of participation by government recycling centres. The retailers operating an RVM get money on items returned, the consumer does not. Re-turn get the cut of the value of returned items, the consumer does not.

are you asking me if id like to be paid for providing raw materials to recycling companies from which they make profits, hell yes id love that, but im a realist and id be happy enough if it was a cost neutral exercise..

however i fully expect recycling companies to recycle every single recyclable item i put into the recycle bin, and if they are not doing that, or making every conceivable effort to do that, including washing soiled items individually, then i am not going to accept that the DRS is going to make any difference at all to our recycling numbers, in fact i predict that the numbers will drop from the 60% we were at before the scheme was introduced.

My initial query was to someone who wanted to be paid 5-10c per item; which is many times the materials value.

The money would have to come from somewhere; and the indirect answer after chasing all those paths back is the consumer. So it would still be you getting your own money back.

Other than a few contrarians on here insisting that they're going out of their way to put deposit bearing items in to normal bins (from where they will still end up going to recovery at the bin companies end anyway); there is no mechanism for this scheme to reduce recovery figures; and the contrarians just end up throwing their own money away for nothing.

Other than a few contrarians on here insisting that they're going out of their way to put deposit bearing items in to normal bins (from where they will still end up going to recovery at the bin companies end anyway); there is no mechanism for this scheme to reduce recovery figures; and the contrarians just end up throwing their own money away for nothing.

so hang on, you seem to have a good depth of knowledge on this that i do not.

are you saying that public general waste bins are directed to recycling companies for them to sift through to find recyclable material?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭nachouser

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" pretty much sums up the nature of the scheme.

All general waste streams can be sifted through, yes. Most bin companies do.

They have to pay landfill or incineration levy on anything that can't be recovered; they get various funding streams for recovery from general waste and certain things, metals primarily but also some plastics to a much lesser extent, can be sold off. So they do this to save money.

There's a huge long read article (Irish Times I think, some years back on how Thornton's only send a tiny % of general waste content to landfill/incineration.

But its not a cheap process and the recovered materials are of less value and reusability than if they were provided as dry mixed recycling (which itself is of less value and reusability than separated streams). Its also a disgusting job for the people who do it, the automated sorting machines can only do soc much.

If that is done though, will it show up in our collected \ recycling stats?

In terms of meeting EU targets, are we only going to report on official Re-turned items I wonder.

Yes. It already does.

The % of stuff that doesn't either doesn't get recovered; or the bin truck goes direct to the incinerator for whatever baffling reason, or never makes it to waste streams at all - bottles that get thrown on the side of the road and stay there, or make it in to the sea via a river or whatever.

That begs the question though if our current 60% or whatever declared rate includes items recovered in that way. Because it seems lower than I would have expected if it is.

While a lot of plastic bottles, cans ending up in black bins or public general waste bins, I don't get the sense that much is dumped on side of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭bog master

What pisses me off, I and many others go to great lengths to clean and put in our recycling bin the plastics thinking we are sending these items to be used again. 70% of our plastics we put into our bins is incinerated not fecking recycled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

My point was that this scheme was rolled out before it was properly available to be adopted. No real trial, no mechanisms to develop and learn from the launch without the ownership being shifted to the pubic to eat the costs of the systems failure.

The 5c-10c incentive would have given the system a good trial tests. You say where does this money from. We do pay taxes already, not difficult to set aside a fund to establish the practice, and then eventually shift to deposit based scheme.

The current launch is typical Ireland. Consumer pays, and is left with a broken system.

Also can you show me info on where the money is going. It's already be stated it will start with covering their own internal costs. Take a look at RTE/HSE and tell me Ireland has track record in doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Last Saturday, i actually did go to a supermarket, which i normally dont, as i was picking stuff up for family members. On a bill of almost 200 euro, 7% of the total was scam, sorry, deposit charges. I know from my own personal experience that in order to hope to get even half of this back, i will need to make at least a few trips, at my cost to find a machine that works. I could also have to make numerous more trips in order to actually get my money back if the tills or software isnt working. From an environmental and personal cost point of view, it is simply not worth it. However i will now use my recycling bin at home as i always have and consider this a tax, which it is, but they havent the balls to admit that.

And return know this, hence ignore emails and complaints (ive tried) and just sit there scooping up our money while saying environmental initiatives mumble mumble mumble. Have they given any advice on how they will return peoples money lost during THEIR teething issues? Or like everything else with this, is that the publics problem?

If it wasnt so detrimental to the environment, it would be almost funny how over the course of this thread the same comments keep getting made, just do it with the big shop, maybe you should drink less, you shouldnt be buying water (my water at home is undrinkable).

And somebody asked above whats the response from return if we hammer them on social media. The response is that they delete posts with comments they dont like.

The public dont want this, the shops dont want this, the environment could do without it and the waste companies dont want it. But sure good old Ossian got his photo opp and thats all that matters. That and the free/stolen money.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IsaacWunder

I've tried this twice and each time, the machines were broken. I went to both my local Lidl and Tesco, where each has two machines. While doing my shopping in Lidl, one of the machines got fixed. Brilliant, job done. At Tesco, after I complained, a checkout assistant tried to fix them but said it wasn't possible to get them working. She suggested calling a manager, but since it was 7 o’clock on a Wednesday evening, I just said, “not to worry, it's OK.” I didn't want to waste more of her time, as clearly she not only did not give a hoot, but told me that they had not been trained. I also did not want to waste any more of my time (coming across as a total miser to get my few cent), or the manager’s time, especially when the machines were clearly kaput.

This whole scheme feels a lot like the old Dublin bus receipt system where you couldn’t get change back from the driver. It’s 15c here, 25c there, effectively designed to nibble at our pockets but not enough for anyone to actually do something about it. In computer fraud, it’s called the salami tactic. A small amount from everyone that won’t be noticed, but which adds up to a lot to the ultimate beneficiary. The small sums mean it’s not going to stop anyone from buying a few cans of beer or a bottle of water or Coke while out on an impulse. Obviously, the drinks manufacturers know that too, so that’s why they went along with this naïve scheme.

I can’t understand also why cans are subject to the same levy as bottles. Cans may be recycled infinitely, whereas bottles can probably only be recycled once, and pretty much can only be turned back into another bottle or to something else that can’t be recycled again. Cans should be much cheaper on this deposit scheme to encourage people to use them as they do actually get recycled, and could be turned into pretty much anything that’s metal from cars to literal money. If this scheme is about the environment, cans should not be subjected to this stupid tax and bottles should be twice the rate.

The absurdity peaks with shops in Dublin airport not being exempt. How are we supposed to return a bottle from abroad to Ireland for our 15c if we buy a Coke at WH Smith in the departure lounge? It makes compliance impossible.

As for the DAA, the cute whores have swapped PET for tetra pack cartons to replace the “honesty box” €1 waters to make sure they are not subject to this stupid tax. Unfortunately, these tetra packs are even harder to recycle than PET bottles, if not almost impossible, and they’ve doubled the price to €2, which is adding insult to injury.

The worst part about these tetra packs is they can’t even be reused as water bottles because when the plane cabin pressurises, the bottom bulges out. So, they can’t even stand upright anymore. Instead, they end up sideways on the floor or tray table until you can hand it to the stewardess to dump it. Another one for the landfill.

And while it’s sitting there, sideways, on your tray table, looking like a carton of bad milk that’s about to burst, it strikes you that it is a good metaphor for this entirely stupid scheme.

Post edited by IsaacWunder on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭bog master

Any scheme or programme that depends on the (forced) participants, who wish to not take part and which funds the scheme and salaries is absurd.

Advertisement