Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

No doubt, but while matching the market might explain their pricing in the UK (where they are a small player), it doesn't explain their pricing here (where they are the biggest player).

My point is that eCars must have a reason for charging high prices here. Its not down to wholesale markets (the reson they were set high); as I mentioned earlier I don't believe that its down to poor hedging, and I could be wrong but its probably not to fund expansion here (don't they have capital funding for that?).

We can also rule out the usual commercial reasons (profitability / shareholder return) as 1) they are a small division of a large group (not meaningful in terms of revenues or shareholder value), and 2) part of a semi state group that - politically - cannot be seen to be too profitable.

So it leaves me wondering if the reason for taking higher revenues must be to help fund their commercial expansion outside of ROI. By contrast to ROI they may not be able to access capital as easily and so funding it from ROI revenue could make their expansion there easier.

I am probably way off, but I can't think of a good reason why in a falling price market ecars are resolutely maintaining their high tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It could just be the fact that they have set a rate of return on their capital investment in the charging infrastructure based on usage and pricing. And usage is probably too low right now for there to be room to drop prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭markpb

I’m not sure if two of your points are correct there. Even in a large company, there is pressure on small department heads to show a good P&L. It’s part of their job/ego and it’s good for their career progression.

Secondly and conversely, nothing the eCars business unit does will have a material impact on the group’s overall profit do there’s no pressure on them to make a small profit. Recent years have shown that ESB can make significant profits but their position as a semi-state allows politicians to deflect any negative political pressures that that causes.

Personally I think the opposite might be true. I think eCars got caught on the hop by the rapid increase in electricity prices, politically couldn’t be seen to increase consumer prices as much or as quickly and took a hit to their P&L which reflected poorly on the department head. There’s nothing worse than being the poor performer in a group with a company that was making hundreds of millions of euros profit at the same time, so now they hedge and price more conservatively and since they’re the market leader, the others are happy to follow their lead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Average mileage can hide the specifics, if a high average mileage is done with home range there isn't much demand for public charging. If you're doing a smaller mileage but further away from home you'll need more DC charging as you can't get back again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'd lay strong odds the vast majority are not hitting public chargers on short trips.

• Advertisement

He didn't say short trips, he said smaller mileage. They're not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Saw on reddit that a poster over there claimed that their charging cable was glued into the ecars socket on sir John Rogersons Quay. The fella that came out to release him said it was the fifth time it's happened there in the last month.

Obviously I cannot verify the story but after dark there can be a scrote element around there. Would be worth checking plugs and sockets for contact adhesive before hooking up.

Ends up being the same thing in the end.

Do you think more people do "less mileage" away from home than at home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think there's a significant difference in a person who's doing high annual mileage primarily near their home (Ireland) versus people who do less annual mileage but have more trips away from home such as the UK or the continent.

I don't need to use rapid chargers within 100km of my house. That is true whether I do 5,000km a year or 50,000km. If do 5,000km a year and go on a road trip to somewhere 400km away once, I'm going to need to publicly charge my car.

There is a reason they don't need much DC infrastructure in Cyprus, they are a more extreme example of what we can see here.

I'd still say people who do the majority of their annual mileage out side the range of their home charger would be a small %.

Getting back to the argument that UK has greater economy of scale than Ireland thus our costs are higher. Found this report that EV to Public Chargers ratio is similar.

It's the same argument about mobile phones and all sorts of insurance or interests rates. It never rang true for me. I think it simply less competition in Ireland allows companies to operate with higher margins in Ireland than other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭10-10-20

For feck's sake. Real low that.

I'd guess it's being applied while the car is on charge rather then when the head is in the charger. But anything is possible.

That was my point, the experience on an island like Ireland versus Great Britain will be different. Annual mileage is somewhat irrelevant and hides the detail. It's the scope of that annual mileage that dictates the demand for on-route rapid charging.

Looking at the two new hubs in Blanchardstown and Carrickmines, they both appear to be using the new substation in a box. Must get some pictures. It's an ESBN thing that should enable faster rollouts of hubs for all CPO's. Based on the ESB hubs we know it supports at least 800kW of site power.

I was in Carrickmines last week and it's still all covered over (?) but I did get a shot of that module from a distance. Bearing in mind that Ballyogan has a significant substation just behind - so that module is what - a step-down transformer of what voltage? And what's so different in that versus what was done previously?

Fair enough. Though I'd like to some stats to illustrate the point better. Perhaps join the dots in my head.

It's still a substation but instead of being a block construction they can build it off-site and deliver it on a truck. They don't need to do the same amount of building work. They can get away with doing ground works for the connection and then plug the container in.

If you look at the substation for the supercharger in Castlebellingham you can see the older style that required "proper" building work. StreetView

Ok, so a fully modular enclosure, drop-in ready providing that the ground-work is complete. Makes perfect sense.

A significant number of EVs in the UK are sold to fleets or businesses. 75% according to this report.

That would seem to indicate the type of mileage being done - longer trips to visit customers etc. given the size of the country and regions compared to here.

That's the idea, National Grid did it in the UK called it substation in a box. If they are 800kW, then I expect we'll see a few hubs around that scale in multiples of that value.

That's what I assumed but their average mileage is lower than ours. Maybe what I read was private vehicles. Didn't check that.

• Advertisement

Again average annual mileage is not relevant, average daily mileage on days the car is used is.

Absolutely terrible. The glue was applied to the public 22kw ac socket so the posters own cable was stuck to the public charger. Would have been far worse, and considerably more expensive if they had applied glue to the CCS plugs. The thinking was it was contact adhesive - that only sets when pressure is applied.

It's a public charger to avoid imo, and it's worth giving any public plug a quick look over before you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

And again. They've obviously never landed to a blocked charger badly needing a charge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Looks similar to the fibre cabinet they put beside the existing copper cabinet for the fttc rollout, definitely a great idea.

I saw an article where BT were putting in an AC charge point powered from decommissioned copper cabinets. It's on trial in a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I'm glad I spotted your post. I've a couple of meetings within walking distance of that area next week and had earmarked that charger on Sir John Rogersons quay as a possibility for a top up for a few hours. Definitely a no go area for me now for charging if that's what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭sh81722

If the glueing happens while the car is already plugged in, Tesla drivers can help to catch them in action with the sentry mode footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If the glueing happens before plugging in tesla drivers can park opposite, stick sentry on and wait and see…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

If I ever see that person, I’ll rip them a new one. They’re always gone by the time I’m leaving Bray on a weekly basis. I once parked about 1/2” from their car so I could reach the older 22kW unit that was there. Thought that might have made the penny drop but no.

Haven't seen it mentioned but there's a big upgrade to the ecars hub at portlaoise plaza. Currently 2 high power CPs installed and covered with ground works for two more. When added to the existing HP cp that will bring to five the total at this site.

• Advertisement

Was Portlaoise Plaze the one that was always limited by site power? Would be great now they've upgraded the site supply.

Advertisement