Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not sure if I'm here to watch sparks fly or an amp squib or squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was in Carrickmines yesterday, I had a wander over to the new but unfunctional chargers. GMC were working around the transformer area, moving large piles of stones, but it looked to be much more than just performing ground-works for appearance. So at least there's movement but not sure in what direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

New to this…..

so if two cars are parked at an esb ecars 22v station, both cars pull 11kv each is that correct?

I’m sat here at one and maxing out at 11kv!

these 22kv stations are utterly useless in that case other than overnight. I’m in a 90kv motor

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Limit is your car.

And prepare for the unit brigade to be along shortly.

It's an AC charger. Your car limit on AC is 11kw. On a DC charger it would be much faster.. AC chargers are for long stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Most cars will only pull 11Kw AC with the exception of some Renault's which can pull the full 22Kw some will even pull 43Kw if it's available, 43 Kw chargers are scarce now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

few cars can pull l 22Kw , what car do you have ?

Sometimes the limitation is with the cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

Would they be wrong? While I understood most of it, the 90kv motor is a mister for me. Also being at the beginning, learning stuff correctly would help the OP understand the whole ecosystem better.

You got yourself to an AC (slow) charger which is quite similar to the home unit. The dwell time at these is medium to long. They are useful for stays measured in hours rather than minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

First gen Tesla Model S and Model X came with an optional 16.5kW AC chargers. Super handy at eCars AC chargers. I can stop for lunch mid-trip, generally find a cafe or restaurant right beside the charger, eat my lunch, not have to rush back for the 45 minute over-stay limit and pick up a useful amount of charge. Excellent for when I have kids with me so we’d be stopping anyway and better than bringing them to McDonalds or a motorway service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The new Mini Countryman electric has a 22kW AC charging option too. Because I can't get a home charger, I'm seriously tempted to get that option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

But also to go back to the original question, I think both cars could pull 22kW at those AC charge points, if they were capable of doing so — but is anyone able to confirm that for sure?

On mercedes DE configurator the 22kW is an extra

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

if my model 3 had 22kW AC charging I could put 88% into it in 2 hours…

whenever it does come time to go shopping again, 22kW AC charging would be a huge vote winner for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve pulled 16.5 while another car was charging on the other side, presumably at 7 so there’s definitely more than 22kW going into it. Several of them have been replaced by 50kW DC without any major ESBN work so it definitely looks like they are 2x22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

thanks all. I used the IONITY chargers last week and grabbed 65kv in like 28 minutes, obviously they just need more of those all over the place.

Using the public network for a month or so whilst I move into a new place

I’m in an eqe suv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

There are a good few DC high speed chargers around. But more is certainly better.

Depending on conditions. Your car charges faster between 20-80% (ish) which is why no one really bothers waiting to charge more than 80% unless they need it. Or goes lower than 20% unless you need it.

AC chargers are destination chargers. They are at your destination where you'll be stopping for a long time.

DC fast charging hubs are really for when you're not stopping long, middle of a journey. They are focusing on those at the moment as means to build the network faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

*65kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It took a lot out of me to resist. I must talk to eCars and see if we get discounted rates for being part of a unit brigade. 😂

• Advertisement

Ref Carrickmines I've been told that last week there was some kind of photoshoot with the new chargers. Some cutting of a ribbon as well. Maybe we'll see them soon. Probably thats why the groundworks reported earlier. Unfortunately still not ON but anytime now

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

There was a photoshoot and publicity in local papers for the new 150kW Weev charger in Manorhamilton last December. It's still not live, 4 months later after the publicity.

I really hope Carrickmines comes on line sooner than the connection timeline that Weev have managed to get from ESB networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

The faster project had a deadline of December 2023 for their funding but actual grid connections are still waiting for esb networks in many cases. The whole faster project has many delays hence the last minute scrambling in December.

In terms of 22kW x 2 ESB sites most cars can only take 7kW, some 11, the odd car 22kW. They are intended for parking and leaving car. Note you typically need to pay for parking and that may be limited time wise. In addition to any parking limits, say 3 hours, the ESB also apply an overstay fee after 10 hours which may be an issue if say you park at a train station charger and go away for a long day's work or a long day trip.

Public AC chargers seem very niche in how useful they would be.

You'd have to near one for just the right amount of time depending on your car's AC charger.

Though they do have the advantage of being cheaper so you can have more for cost of DC charger. Which might be useful in a busy destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭crl84

They're very handy for people in apartments/without home charging.

Before I had an EV, I lived in an apartment block in Dublin city for a few years. If there had been a bank of several AC chargers nearby, I could have plugged in in the morning, walked home, WFH for the day, and moved the car in the evening. Or plugged in at night, gone home to sleep, then collected the car in the morning.

As you say, cheaper than DC charging, so if you're in no rush, they're probably preferable. With a DC charger, you have to sit there babysitting the car for 45mins or so. With an AC charger, you can go off and do stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Most ecars SCP are 22kW each side, however there are some that, while branded 22kW, can only deliver 16A per side (meaning max of 11kW on 3 phase or 3.7kW on 1 phase).

Early model S/X actually had 22kW AC charging, the 16.5kW cars came when the facelift (ie non nosecone) cars came.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I did 3 years with a Zoe in an area full of 22kW chargers. I was in an apartment and no home charger. I'd walk out park it up the street to charge and go pick it up and hour or so later. Usually off peak times as parking was easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

+1. Have used public AC a good bit in the past when I had no home charging.

Day trip Dublin - Galway, plugged in that night. Day after did a day trip to Waterford and plugged in that night too. No DC charger dwell time or taking a spot that a shorter range EV might need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

Is it not kW though rather than Kw?

Sorry, I couldn't help it!😀

Advertisement