Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

This whole thing is complete and utter horseshite.

The DAA and its predecessor Aer Rianta have managed to get everything wrong with the development of the infrastructure at Dublin Airport over the last number of decades.

Firstly; they shut runway 05/23 instead of upgrading it and then built 10/28L. What they should have done was upgrade 05/23 and build 10/28R, never bothering with 10/28L and leaving the area as fields.

Secondly; they built T2 in the wrong place. Anyone with an IQ above 50 could tell you upon looking at the airfield chart that the new terminal should’ve been built on the north side where McDonalds and the hangars are now, which would’ve been far more convenient for the new runway. Instead they plonked it basically on top of T1 which has led to issues with taxiing/shortage of stands etc.

Thirdly; they messed up with car parking. Where to start, they shut the spiral ramp car park at T1 which really should have been reopened by now. Add that to many other issues with the long-term car parks in particular.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unlikely, and it would be too contaminated anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭moonshy2022

you are clearly on the wind up with that post and several others. Not worth more than this as a response.

Post edited by moonshy2022 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Your post shows so much lack of knowledge and understanding its almost too funny to be true. Good effort though 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Karppi

I'm afraid that these "suggestions" and accompanying criticism are so far wide of the mark.

The long range planning done in the late 1960s envisaged two parallel runways oriented as they now are. Two parallel runways offer significantly more throughput than the "V" layout you suggest. Parallel runways, especially those such as Dublin where the distance between centrelines is (from memory) 1690m allows for simultaneous independent use - something which even Heathrow doesn't have. This means that they can be used for simultaneous departures and arrivals, which are not needed at the moment but could be used (subject to Safety Regulation requirements) in the future. I think that, given the parallels were going to be built at some stage, when it came to a choice of whether to build the southern or the northern one, a pragmatic decision might have been taken to build the southern one to prevent the encroachment of development.

Putting T2 near McDonalds would have led to a long, single sided pier. So much for increasing parking. It's no more convenient for taxying than most other places. If arrivals are using one runway and departures the other, the taxying distances net off.

Car parking at DUB is a big issue - there's no train or metro so the demand is high. There's been a debate on this thread about monopolies and so on. But take MAN as an example. There are a number of operators of independent car parks within about a 10 - 15 min bus ride from the terminals. And the service is good. Where are all the entrepreneurs at DUB? The parking areas on top of T1 were closed to the public in the 70s. I doubt there would have been room for more than 400 cars total anyway. It's not good practice to put car parks (or even ATC Towers) on top of terminals. If you're in any doubt, imagine this happening on top of T1

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would imagine that allowing cars to park on top of the terminal would be a huge security issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's why it was closed off. There isn't an empty carpark there to reopen anymore either, even if the security risk evaporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭prunudo

I remember as a kid in 80s looking at those spiral ramps and hoping that sometime we could park in that area, simplier times 😀

I’m clearly not, but you can believe what you want.

I am not an expert in this field by any means, those are just my observations as a mildly interested member of the public.

I sent DAA an email, probably a long shot but worth a try, even if only a small strip of metal.

• Advertisement

What is there now? I have occasionally seen people walking on the ramps, where does it lead to?

It would’ve been much better to keep 05/23 and build 10/28R, probably never building 10/28L.

10/28L is OK but it is not long enough and is not preferable when the winds are strong. The prevailing wind at EIDW is SW, hence why 05/23 should have been upgraded. If this had happened, T2 would’ve been built on the north apron where the hangars are on the exit road, where it should’ve been built anyway.

T2 is one of the worst designed terminal buildings in Europe. The definition of a white elephant, the children’s hospital of aviation.

• A separate check-in building when nobody checks-in anymore
    • A 5-storey shopping area
    • Only one pier meaning a perpetual shortage of stands, many aircraft particularly transatlantic have to use T1
    • Bottleneck on taxiing to 10/28R
    • Demolition of Corballis House

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

How could retaining 05/23 possibly be better given the noise impact it would have?

With the predominate wind prevailing, aircraft would be causing major noise disruption for Swords coming into land and for Ballymun and Finglas and other inhabited areas in D15 taking off.

I don't think you've actually used T2, if you think the checkin area is busy or that one retail area + one mezzanine makes "five storey".

It is non-transatlantic aircraft that use the 300 gates at times; it would not be possible for CBP flights - the bulk of TATL - to use anything other than the 400 gates.

And your alternate location for the terminal would be a dead end, single side pier. If you think there's taxiing issues now…

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FR738

It’s hardly a separate check-in building it just narrows to where the T1 Road passes under

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭dublin12367

you’re classing T2 as a white elephant, yet the daa have requested planning to extend said terminal, and there’s on going discussions for a T3 (Ino these aren’t exactly serious discussions but T3 isn’t that far away). T2 is far from a white elephant.

You are completely ignoring the points I made earlier, especially about parallel versus V formation runways. Other posters have already commented on the checkin area - which is essentially no different to any other terminal, where you check in the go up to security. Where's the "5 storey shopping area"? As for Corballis House, words fail me

Well perhaps they could’ve kept 05/23 active while retaining the parallel runways. Instead, in a usual act of shortsightedness, they extended Pier D instead over the old runway.

My main issue with T2 is its location. If it was placed on the north apron every other problem would be detail.

• Advertisement

where exactly on the north apron could it have gone that would allow for more gate space than where it is currently?

If it should have gone anywhere other than its current location it should have been to the west apron but that’s for another day.

I know daa have plans for a third terminal on the north apron which seem incredibly silly to me but I would be inclined to believe that is to rule out the west apron been used for it in future and to keep the value of lands the McEvaddy brothers own down.

Also, the extension of pier d is probably one of the most successful things the airport ever did. It is used by thousands daily.

05/23 could not be used in combination with the parallels. Aircraft would cross the south parallel somewhere near the midpoint, in exactly the same way as 16/34 crosses the north parallel near its midpoint. There are standards and recommended practices for multi runway use. The standards are mandatory. For all intents and purposes, the Safety Regulator treats the recommendations as virtually mandatory as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭prunudo

considering the current parallel runways are causing flight path and operational restrictions, do you not think using 05/23 could cause some issue?

Another huge issue is the McEvaddy lands. The Boot Inn closed recently. I sincerely hope nothing happens to that building, as it would be an atrocity in and of itself to destroy such a historical structure.

I personally think the McEvaddy lands should be zoned as green belt and no further proposals for development are made. There are a number of dairy farms on that land and quite a few cattle herds/possibly other livestock. When I was younger my family knew the owners of one of the farms on Dunbro lane and I had many summer memories of childhood in those fields with friends. That area has very good soil.

For that reason, they should never be developed. If another terminal is to be built it should be located where T2 should’ve been built, the north apron.

ok, I had given you the benefit of doubt and responded to some of your questions and posts but now you are taking the p**s and have no intentions of looking to engage in a meaningful and serious discussion regarding airport infrastructure and development.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Where is this 5 storey shopping centre?

Did you want the DAA to use Corballis House as the check-in area?

T2 was designed to share a pier with T1, the massive walkway between the 2 might be a clue.

Since when has soil quality blocked vital national infrastructure?

The Boot Inn may be an "historical structure", but it was a rural pub/club that became unprofitable once Swords became bustling urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Your views and posts are very typical behaviour of someone who is trying intentionally to disrupt a thread.

• Advertisement

I’m not trying to disrupt anything, that’s my opinion.

Advertisement