Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

That land will radically jump in value when Metrolink is built...

...in other words it will likely never increase in value.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

DAA won't appeal the ruling on the Quickpark site and is keen to see the site up and running again for the summer season. Let's see what happens now. I hope new planning permission is not required if what was previously in place is just replicated.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/03/29/dublin-airport-bows-ends-bid-for-nearby-6200-space-car-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

>I hope new planning permission is not required if what was previously in place is just replicated.

They shouldn't do, if it is to remain as a long term parking site.

An Bord Pleanala granted permission for "Permanent continuation of use of the existing long term car park known as Quickpark that is currently used for the same purpose under and in accordance with temporary planning permission ABP 06F.PA0023" in May 2019

and in the documents from that, "Fingal County Council confirmed that the principle of continued use of the Car Park is acceptable – no issue with principle if permanent permission is sought."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There’s an irony in the competition authority ruling the sale can’t go trough, and with no other suitors on the horizon, parking coming into the busiest time of year will be even more limited than it could have been 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

DAA can't buy the site but would there be any issus with them leasing it?

Realistically nobody is going to get it up and running ahead of a sale, the only (slim) chance of anything happening would be if DAA were to take it on, even if only for 6 months prior to it being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ccpc would still be able to get involved and likely would.

DAA asked could they lease it during the investigation and were told no

If its open this summer at all I would be astounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

What happened to the old Ryanair 737-200 that was used for fire training? It was painted in purple livery and parked on the far side apron next to the R108. The kids used to have a great time pointing out the ‘purple plane’ when we were taxiing back, I drove past the other day and it’s gone.

I hope they haven’t scrapped it, always thought they could’ve refurbished it and moved it offsite and maybe converted it into a restaurant or some sort of attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

https://www.thejournal.ie/concept-plans-dublin-airport-terminal-3-6342602-Apr2024/

Another publicity stunt from the McEvaddy's - not actually a planning permission application, just a lot of noise to try and find a bidder for their land bank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭prunudo

Greed is a terrible thing, rather than wasting time and effort on concepts, just accept the Daa offer and enjoy the windfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The same land that had a queue of bidders a few months ago 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

This is just getting undignified now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whether its a concept plan or an actual application for planning permission, its absolutely not going to pass muster with Fingal County Council, as none of local, regional, or national policy permits it right now.

And so, this land will remain in limbo at a relatively low value, until such time as DAA wish to consider some tangible future for it in cooperation with government.

The McEvaddys have behaved for years as if this land is somehow holding the Authority or the government or the State to ransom, whereas the opposite is really the case. The State has decades to face them down, the McEvaddys have relatively few years if they will to liquidate their asset in their lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Completly agree, but I do have to admit I am enjoying following it. I can't tell if they are serious or just out to cause noise and annoyance at this point. I guess when you are are wealthly as they are you need a hobby!

The news coverage is quite embarrassing TBH - being reported as if it's some big development when in reality all the McEvaddeys have done is sent a meaningless letter to Fingal County Council to the effect of, this is what we are thinking that we might do at some point in the future, and fired out a press release to imply it's something bigger than that.

It's not a good reflection on our business & transport covering journalists that none of them have the wit to point this out, but instead just mindlessly repeat the McEvaddeys' press release.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Journalism in Ireland is in the death throes. Press releases get printed as exclusives like someone investigated them. Nothing is ever queried, little is ever fact checked, clicks and rage bait consume everything even in the traditionally broadsheet papers.

Its only that we compare it to the UK, which is about thirty years further down that track, that we can think its still good here. UK is full on client journalism with nothing else left.

Agree, shows the calibre of journalists currently in the country. None of them thinking that

a; its not planning application and just concept,

b; the not so small problem of the passenge cap,

c; the fact Fingal seem to have a big problem with the airport and associated developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

It just looks like they have taken some screenshots from flight simulator 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭dublin12367

Point C - Fingal would probably approve the T3 application and reject the daas infrastructure application with how silly FCC have been towards any daa related issues over the last few years.

I noticed on one of the requests for more info from FCC to the daa that they requested a predicted growth profile vs infrastructure phasing. Unlocking more capacity as each is completed. Judging that, it seems likely that even if the daa’s infrastructure application is approved, it won’t increase from 32m to 40m immediately.

The McEvaddys have not submitted a planning application.

That's not an unreasonable request from FCC. You would expect the DAA to be able to answer it fairly easily, assuming they are able to model and demonstrate how they expect passenger growth to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭dublin12367

that was the joke, I know they haven’t submitted a planning application.

And yes, it would be fairly easy for the daa to answer the above. However, there’s 85 requests for further information, that’s just one of them. It would give the impression that fingal aren’t going to approve an immediate jump from 32m to 40m, and will hold the airport back longer than necessary.

The daa have 6 months to respond to the 85 request. About 4 months left in that deadline and one would hope the daa don’t wait until the end of the deadline to send in the responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Qaanaaq

I think the McEvaddys have shot themselves in the foot with their strategy. They should have accepted the offer they got from the DAA when they had the chance. Now with all the negative publicity surrounding further development of the airport, I don't even think the previous DAA offer would still be on the table. It will be a very long time before any of that land will ever be developed. Much longer than previously expected.

I also think that particular newspaper must be on some kind of retainer because they have published every press release issued by them over the years without any scrutiny at all, even when obvious important details are left out . It was very noticeable in its bias.

What was the reason behind this? Such a waste.

I suspect one reason was that it was taking up space on an active ramp. It was in use in this role from around 2004 until 2022 and might well have been scrapped a lot earlier, but for its use as a training aid.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is a bit frustrating that the IT seems to have acted as mere stenographers for the McEvaddy's rather than ask any questions about this proposal.

Surely the first question to ask is what makes their new proposed private terminal anything other than an oddly placed bus depot since they have no runways and therefore no airplanes?

I wonder is there an agenda being pushed to attack or discredit DAA, between the reaction to this and the constant fawning over complainants regarding the northern runway. Seems like someone wants to undermine the DAA.

To be fair, it’s just not the IT. I saw the same on the Journal also, and the gobdaw who does business breakfast on Newstalk was hailing it as a “master stroke” because he’s too thick to realise it wasn’t an actual planning application

A frame that has been used as a fire trainer is going to be in no state for anything except scrapping. All sorts of damage and chemicals

Is there any chance there are still some parts of it left over? Was thinking about contacting DAA, just because it would be sentimental, my son is very interested in aviation and like I said used to always point it out as we were taxiing.

• Advertisement

There

There are so few OG 737s around these days, the 737-200 used JT8D engines which were very small thus there was very low clearance. Boeing essentially kept the original airframe instead of designing a new model which let to them having to cram modern engines under the wing ultimately leading to the 737MAX disasters.

Would’ve been nice to have kept the aircraft and moved it off the airfield and open it as a cafe/planespotters area like what is done in Manchester.

Advertisement