Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Mad_Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭crl84

Loads of EVs have pre-heating for DC charging.

Yet again you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Sounds like you're the problem.

64kWh MG4 - 460km+ real world range - which included a round trip from Kildare to Belfast, and mostly urban driving:

Not really much arguing, considering he's been comprehensively shown to not a have a clue what he's talking about across multiple threads/subjects in the last week, and had several of his points proven categorically false with facts and figures by multiple posters. Lad might have bought an EV years ago, but has little knowledge of EVs or infrastructure in the present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

"You can buy a good 2nd hand ICE for a lot less money with a lot more range and can fill up in 3 mins vs 30-50 ( a lot more if they have a queue at the charger) without fears of high mileage issues with batteries that will cost a fortune to repair, these are genuine concerns whether you choose to ignore them or not."

🤣

You seem to be unaware of clocked cars.

You sit on electric car threads and every thread with nothing to do with electric cars slagging them off and then try to say you have bought 3. Most recently telling everyone on the ID.4 thread how horrible the interior was compared to a Mazda.

Something is not really adding up.

Was the same years ago, incessantly posting about the i3 rex ( since discontinued and not replaced)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Kildare to Belfast is 220km on the motorway. If I were driving that, I'd be averaging well above 56km/h. I could hypermile the ID4 if I wanted to but I don't have the time or patience for that silliness.

My regular long journey of 260kms consumes 73-77% of battery 60% N, 40% M gives a real 100% range of 350km for my driving style. I'm not an aggressive driver but I like to make progress and I drive at the posted limit where it is safe to do so. I've actually modified my route to ensure I'm on the most efficient one. The roads I'd have taken in the diesel while longer, were both faster and better quality and I was only scraping home with 7% which is too close for the comfort of my travelling companions.

Owning an EV can require a fair bit of mental effort when it comes to doing long journeys. I love the tech and the quietness so I personally don't mind but that's definitely not true of everyone. Some people do not want to do that, others think that if they've spent €XXk on a car that they shouldn't need to do that - as a car is ultimately about convenience.

Name the cars that have preheating for charging, the teslas, the EV6, possibly Ioniq 5, hardly loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Polestar 2, Volvo C40 & XC40, Mercedes EVs, Renault Megane, BMW iX3 from the research I did before buying my own car. Many others too, I'm sure.

There was a user here before named "Mad Lad" who was an OG in the EV forum, but I see you registered your user in March this year. Are you the same user re-regging, or is that a coincidence? Most of your posts seem to be based on 2015 - 2018 EV design, availability and infrastructure. It would definitely be worth catching up on what's changed since then…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's clear it's not the same person.

Lol you come on here every day trying to tell the rest of us the electric cars are the ideal ICE replacement ! lol

Yeah, id3 interior is ****, isn't just me saying it.

clocked cars, the people buying clocked cars are the ones who do not know how to do their research on a car, you think electric cars can't be clocked ?

You think people shouldn't be concerned about the battery when buying a 2nd hand car which will no doubt have some degradation, so they'll be paying for a car with much less range when new, this doesn't happen and ICE, oh sure, if you want to nit pick you can say an ICE looses some efficiency with high mileage but nothing compared to EV.

As I keep saying, electric cars are good 2nd cars for people that have a ICE backup that can go wherever they want without restrictions, this is what people want, the rest are either enthusiasts and will put up with the disadvantages or People who don't do a lot of high mileage.

Yes, my 3rd EV and I think I'm entitled to an opinion about them at this stage.

It's a pity more manufacturers didn't made cars like the BMW i3 where the ICE is a backup only and doesn't connect to the wheels this would have been amazing and would eliminate the need for a charging network or hanging around chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think the problem is not so much the EV cars themselves, which are mostly fine.

The problem is the infrastructure for EV cars. Its years behind where it needs to be. One example is the myriad of apps needed to charge your car on public chargers. Why on earth should you need an app, photos of yourself, your passport, utility bill, and so on, just to charge your car! And that's just one app. And if you turn up in a town or place you haven't been to before you have to research what apps you need! There's no ionity chargers in the entirety of connacht, the northwest and most of munster.

Then there's the up front cost of buying a home charger. And the fact public charging prices have increased. All genuine concerns for the majority of people which are unfortunately dismissed by early adapters.

As it stands, EVs are just not as convenient as ICE cars unfortunately, which is a shame and is going to take years of effort to put right.

The Rex was a marvellous piece of engineering and a shame more manufacturers didn't apply the same, would have meant no dependency on a charging network. It was a take anywhere car 140-180 Kms range on EV and the Rex would take over when needed, I could turn the Rex on once the charge reached 70% on the Motorway and use battery on slower roads or in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

With an average speed of 56 Km/h you got to be joking ? of course you're get 400 odd Kms at that speed lol.

In addition to the ones pointed out by F00t13f4n above, the MG4, MG ZS also have it.

That includes plenty of slow city/town driving, hence the "and mostly urban driving". You know how averages work, right? Or is that another thing that has to be explained to you?

It's 183km from where I am, and as pointed out in my post, included urban driving in addition to the roundtrip, which brought the average speed down significantly.

If I had been talking solely about motorway driving, you might have a point.

• Advertisement

Lol you're unbelievable, yeah my electric car can do 400 km driving around town, try to convince an ICE driver how wonderful your EV is and they'll laugh their heads off.

Yeah well said but seems there's a lot of pro liberal earth soldiers here in the EV section now that will tell you EV is going to save the earth, that the tech is good enough to replace ICE and all that which is BS, I'd say the majority of EV owners have an ICE at home and yes, the EV is a good 2nd car, it's probably perfect to replace the 2nd car actually but that's about it.

Perhaps if solid state batteries become a reality in the next decade or so then maybe but this is not going to be cheap.

No point in the E.U banning ICE sales until the tech is as good, it won't happen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 638 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

@Mad_Lad don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I didn't say electric cards are the ideal ICE replacement.

As I explained on the threads I have a lovely big diesel.

So the first post of thread is nonsense, the rest is the standard noise you post on every thread, even if the thread has nothing to do with electric cars, e.g. HVO thread

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I think anyone who wanted an EV, has purchased one i.e the early adopters - those who can't live without the latest iPhone. I think EV a great in certain situations i.e much better to drive an EV in town rather than a X5 PHEV

However, I think it is increasingly becoming clear that they are not the ONLY solution to greener transport in the future and people need to learn to accept that. EV are part of the jigsaw, not the entire jigsaw. There are still fundamental issues with EVs that have not been addressed. That's not to say they don't have advantages, they do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What are these unaddressed fundamental issues?

It included a few hundred km of motorway driving. Not sure how you're having so much difficulty comprehending this. Although given your posts in various threads over the last 3 weeks, it's not that surprising.

And I'm not trying to convince any ICE driver of anything. Just pointing out the idea that a 64kwh battery can't do 400km in mixed driving conditions is pure nonsense.

Well that first line is certainly nonsense. There are loads of people who would love to get an EV, but can't afford a new one, and there has been a trickle of EVs into the second hand market. Those that are in the second hand market at reasonable prices are a very small number of models.

It'll be another couple of years before the second hand market starts to get a decent amount of the many new EV models that have launched in the last 4 years, and people who can't afford to buy new are able to purchase one.

If it included a few hundred km of motorway driving, say 200kms at 112 KMPH then you also did 200kms at ZERO KMPH to get 56 kmph as an average speed over 400kms

How do you travel 200kms at zero KMPH?

That 400kms did not include motorway speeds for very long at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

deleted

Advertisement