Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Air/Congestion Charging set to be introduced by 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Did you live through 2008 to 2013? People have been trapped by negative equity. Not everyone can afford to life in Dublin City.

The penny just dropped for me. If the green wallpaper party want to put congestion tax in place.

That's better for me. Less traffic on the road, I will fly into work. Again a success for the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

It's a choice made out of necessity for many, I mean what's your circumstances ?, you could be in a much more fortunate position that you had the financial ability to allow you live where you wanted and perhaps bought your home at the right price when houses cost a lot less, maybe a nice deposit given by parents etc.

And in reality, Ireland's public transport network is an absolute disgrace and in many other countries their trains are far better able to get people into towns and cities in a fraction of the time ours can from greater distances.

Congestion charges can only happen if there are viable alternatives.

If I get the train from Carlow to Dublin, it ends at Heuston, it doesn't even go to the city centre ffs !

Here are the commuter times for Carlow to Heuston 07:03 07:57 08:57 what an absolute joke ! 2 trains and only 1 train in the morning will get someone to work for 9am if that's the time they start which most people do. If you start at 8 it's no use. and Single rail also which is a joke,

Instead of pushing 2 tonne + electric cars to clog up the streets why are they not investing or have invested in a proper public transport network for anywhere on the Island ?

Naas has no rail link in the town and it's more than large enough to justify it.

Yes higher taxes will solve it all.

"Getting a motorcycle isn't an option for most people in Ireland as if you've only done your Cat B (car) test, you'd literally have to go right back to the start to get a Cat A (motorcycle) permit, and go through the entire process again. Motorcycles AFAIK also don't have the same pollution control devices and are less safe for the rider as they'll just fly off it in any kind of crash, as opposed to a driver who has a seat belt, airbags and the roof of the car. Something like an e-scooter might work but the driver licensing rules would need to be changed to allow licensed Cat B drivers to more easily add motorcycle categories."

It's not an option for most people in Ireland ? are we special compared to those on the continent ? it works in most other European countries, so what, go get a learner permit, I did it. it's no big deal, 3 days IBT training, get cert, get helmet and gear, get bike, insurance go ride, get lessons, pass test job done. I'm in the early days of learning mind you but I can already see the benefits 2 wheels have compared to cars and big crossovers clogging the streets, it's just not a good solution to congesting continuing with passenger cars to transport 1 person and adding lots of 2 tonne + electric cars isn't going to help.

You don't have to get a cat A license , you can start with A2 which allows you ride up to 35 Kw. that's more than enough for most normal people.

There are plenty of modern fuel efficient and current emissions compliant motorcycles and scooters today that can achieve up to 2.3 L/100 km or 100 mpg and sometimes more. Less fuel means less Co2 right ?

The twist and go scooters are very easy to ride, 125 or 300 cc Honda Forza, Honda Sh125/300i or Yamaha Xmax etc.

we need a change of attitude when it comes to moving people around, passenger cars for 1 person is the wrong way to do it, in my opinion, I know many people can't move to 2 wheels but many could and our streets would be a lot less congested.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So I see that you've decided not to answer my question and waffled on about some stuff I didn't ask about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,831 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So that just brings it back to peak cars everyone driving and no one able to move anywhere. Your hour commute becomes 3hrs. How will that help.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Statistically that's also not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

The main question is that the Green party want to punish the less well off in society by the way of taxes, leaving the rich and wealthy in society to use the roads, free of traffic because the Green Party thinks taxing the people with hardly much to their name, the climate and therefore save the world.

They'll get no votes or preferences from me and if they were to go the way of the Labour Party, then good riddance to them. Why don't they support Nuclear energy for such a small country? Costs too much? I thought we're wealthy? Most of the help they've given out is beyond helping the less well off as they most likely don't own their own homes to pay for upgrades or to get something like a €5,000 discount on a car that's worth nearly €50,000 grand or more just to cut down on emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I thought Leo Varadkar wants us to get up in the morning? You want us to leave the roads traffic jam free just like the skies for the wealthy!? Go ahead, but the same people will be crying about people not wanting to work.

• Advertisement

I just asked how will more traffic make it better....and you have no answer.

Being stuck in traffic is really showing those Greens who is boss alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you're going to moan about the Greens, at least look up their policies so you are posting using actual facts instead of the thoughts that suddenly pop into your head. I'm not a member of the Greens (or any party) but it is crystal clear that there is pretty much nothing correct in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to jump in on this one.

You're post above is ridiculously pedantic. Your own quote from Ryan has him stating that women and LGBTQ groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and you want to focus on whether the word Irish is mentioned?

If that's the level of argument then you HAVE no argument.

But, for the sake of morbid interest, what do you think Ryan is on about? What on earth does someone's sexual preferences or view of their identity have on their exposure or impact from climate events? Do floods or droughts affect women and gay people more than straight people or something?

Eamon Ryan is someone that really should remember that old phrase - "it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!"

This is why I suggest that we should be encouraging more people on to 2 wheels and to stop using passenger cars that are built to carry 5 people with only the driver, it's a bad idea the more you think about it.

If people are scared of 2 wheels there are these which are also viable alternatives to passenger cars.

Renault made the Twizzy which was another cool alternative to the car but it was expensive, poor range and took too long to charge, a petrol alternative would have been amazing.

The car manufacturers need to come up with alternative vehicles that are capable of moving people scared of scooters into alternative vehicles suitable for one person, maybe 2 like most motorbikes and scooters.

But most of all we need proper infrastructure.

It's called virtue signalling. They talk the good talk, " the world is burning" "Ireland will be the leaders in the fight against climate change" etc etc, meanwhile they do nothing useful except raise taxes on the vehicles people can afford or choose to buy, EV is not a viable alternative for many and for those with no home charging, it is not yet, if it ever will be as convenient as filling up in 3 mins for 600-900 Kms range. The greens want you sitting for hrs and hrs of your life plugged into public chargers. I drive EV but we have a diesel also and we take this at times when going to places where the infrastructure is poor which is still a huge problem.

Nuclear energy in Ireland is illegal, it isn't allowed, I agree, it has huge potential, it's 100% 0 emission and the fuel supply is virtually unlimited, there's thousands of years worth of Nuclear fuel and billions of years worth in the sea if they ever get fusion to work. there's going to be a nuclear renaissance in the coming decades as new and much more efficient reactor designs come online and as usual Ireland will be decades behind, begging for foreign energy and paying a high price in the process.

With nuclear we can make all the electricity we want, convert water to hydrogen and use this for cars, it can be burned directly without modification. We can use nuclear to develop what they call Efuels which are direct replacement for petrol and diesel, this is a process that uses hydrogen and Co2 from the atmosphere or industry. Early stages of this technology but we will need a lot of energy to produce it and it can really only come from nuclear and while it's far more efficient to charge EV batteries this is not practical for Planes, trains, HGV etc as the batteries would have to be too large and heavy. But efuel might be a viable alternative to producing batteries which require 2 million litres of fresh water for every 1 tonne of lithium produced which is enough to make 100 electric cars. There are grown environmental concerns about battery production but are still being heavily pushed by the E.U and the IPCC due to the effect of lowering Co2, nothing else matters to these people, no environmental issues as Co2 to them is a world ending gas no matter the consequences to anything else on Earth.

Lithium mining was blocked at Mount Leinster because locals didn't want the destruction but it's fine to have this mining in other countries, why aren't the Government themselves exploiting our own reserves of Lithium ? because they know the devastation caused.

Whatever impact Ireland has on climate change one way or the other can't be measured compared to the emissions from other countries yet the Irish Government see it absolutely necessary to tax us to oblivion, it makes no sense. But whatever government gets in they won't reduce or eliminate the carbon tax or reduce the other extortionate taxes on energy.

The Government has always been great at inventing taxes but not finding real solutions to real problems and it won't change because the mindset is the same no matter what government.

Post edited by Mad_Lad on

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Only a political organisation as thick as the Green's would push congestion charges without any viable alternatives for commuters. The people that vote Green many will work from home or live in leafy areas like Ranelagh with the Luas or within walking/cycling distance from the city centre. They could care less about everyone else but that cohort of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I thought the rich people in Ranelagh would still be driving their range rovers regardless of congestion charges. I don't live in a leafy area and vote Green, I'm just sick of the city being ruined by traffic.

I just think we need to change our attitudes as to how we get around in town and cities, do we have to use big cars for 1 person ? why are the politicians not encouraging car manufacturers to make more 1 person transport like the twizzy ?

Petrol bikes and scooters are fun but car manufacturers need to come up with small city transport that's practical and fast and that doesn't have to be electric because this isn't always viable with no home charging.

According to the Greens, as it stands now, the only thing that's going to save the Earth is 2 tonne + electric cars, bigger and bigger cars to clog up our streets but it doesn't matter as long as it's EV and making petrol and keep raising taxes on fuel.

What's going to happen say if petrol and diesel goes to 3 Euro a litre ? will the greens say that's still too cheap ? I heard one of them on the radio last year, a Woman, can't remember who it was now, saying that petrol and diesel is far too cheap because it's the Earth paying the real cost. lol this is the mentality I mean where does it stop ?

What's going to happen now is that people are going to keep their cars longer and longer if such high cost of ownership is fuel costs and people are going to be attracted more and more to PCP as it provides much cheaper monthly payments with minimum deposit but the balloon at the end is often forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Weve had them all along but now are being forced out of production due to demand for large suv style cars!

Perfect case in point Is the death of the 1 liter segment it was perfect for Ireland the Fiesta,corsa etc all gone now!

Japan have the right idea with the Kei car segment!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hang on now, you specifically referred to Irish women earlier, so why are you saying that it doesn't matter a jot now?

What's so difficult to understand about his assertion? It's fairly obvious that those who have least resources and least opportunities are least able to protect themselves from the impact of climate change? Do you need a comic book version or what?

I'm not here to do your research for you. Do you have anything to back up your claim or is it more of your fantasy material?

Thanks for posting the link to disprove your own claim. 😝😝😝

Reasons such as?

The usual reason seems to be wanting to have the mansion-sized house that they can't afford in Dublin.

It's not the job of the insurance industry to be 'encouraging' people to do any sort of driving or own any sort of cars. They're on the hook for the risks arising, so they protect themselves accordingly.

If you were genuinely concerned about reducing costs of insurance, you'd be first in the queue to support reducing risks, but we all know where you stand on any outrageous proposal to cut speed limits or improve driver training. Maybe if you could persuade drivers to stop crashing into and killing and injuring each other, insurance costs might drop a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not sure why you keep going back to electric cars. Most electric cars weight less than 2 tonne and less than larger SUV/Crossover combustion.

Also the Green Party motto is to drive the car you have till it falls off the roads and then if you have to replace it, do it with as environment friendly as possible.

Lots of new bus routes are been announced. I personally would prefer trains but they seem to be going the bus direction

https://www.thejournal.ie/67-new-enhanced-bus-services-ireland-announced-5997869-Feb2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If you think gay people or women are more adversely affected by a Climate Crisis you can't critically think. You have abandoned reason. I can't spoon feed you any more than I have I'm afraid….

You get that women and gay people have less income, less resources, and less access to opportunities in much of the developing world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Are you a child? There are a multiptude of reasons. A company closes down. A person gets let go. Gone are the days of jobs for life, do you honestly think all people have close access to all types of employment opportunities at all times?

Honestly, I can't believe some people, you are living in a bubble mate!!!

Advertisement