Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Air/Congestion Charging set to be introduced by 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭well24

Its not being disingenuous if I do not see improvements i.e. if any of the improvements have affected me directly!

OK the bus runs 24 hours, but I dont take the bus at 2am for example :)

You asked if I had noticed any improvements and no is the answer! In fact, I see it as a little worse cause the new buses dont hold as many passengers…

For me I did factor in the commute, I had driven for years, and I wanted to try buses..

Dont get me wrong the service is OK, Im happy enough with it, but 3 out of 5 mornings I have to take the private run bus as the 101x is always full by the time it gets to my stop… if it was not for this then 101x would be terrible, but I have a different option which makes it feasible (not public run transport tho)..

You asked very specific questions which I answered truthfully, sorry if they did not line up with your thinking.

Just to refresh:

Busy = very, so much so that a private operator has taken up the slack, if not for them the 101x would be terrible.

Cheaper
    - not sure about that, have been using it for past 6 years and hard to
    tell, at the mo I use Leap but in the past I had got a yearly ticket
    thru work..

Options - definitely no - not more frequent at rush hour, still the same options bus and train!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

THe bus stops are so close together, cash payments still being taken is comedy... everything in Dublin North to South is funnelled down a very narrow corridor. We need a metro, as currently in planning and then one out via rathmines up to knocklyon area...

Another point is quite a few passengers just take the private bus (in and out), they dont bother with the 101x..

I do a mix cause it works out cheaper for me.. otherwise I would use private bus, far more reliable and usually more seats available…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You might not use the improvements, but you do see it, as you've described some of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

That sounds like a catchy platitude, but in the real world, people like their ability to get around. That's why so many people own cars, or in some parts of the world if they're really poor, motorcycles (e.g. Southeast Asia).

If poor people are uniquely excluded from that, IMO that's a real problem.

Some implies plural, I mentioned 1!

And Equally, described some decline in service :)

Post edited by well24 on

so was working today.. had to stay late and no express bus after 6.. seriously!
    on a weekday last express but is b4 6.. some serious improvements could be made

@flinty997 Almost like you have options

I know you just said that to get a rise out of me !! Suppose the best you can do when you have nothing else to offer…

You know very well this is not provided by our national transport system. Someone saw a flaw in our transport and is filling it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Now come, surely you are old enough to have been around in 2007-11 and interested in politics/ current affairs???

The Green Party were the only politicians in that administration that I recall pushing the 'ban the bedsit' agenda. I don't recall any particular FF enthusiasm for it, far from it as landlords weren't too happy with the idea.

This was entirely a Green Party policy of that government… no one else.

It met resistance and wasn't fully implemented till the next administration but this was the Green Party's baby.

And they should be ashamed of themselves, ultimately contributing to the jacking up of rents, leading to more homelessness and more carbon being burnt in long commutes. It was a stupid unthought out idea with consequences they never considered.

I canvassed for the Green Party prior to this. I never once heard that was a policy we were pushing.

So back and do yer homework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I came up with this being against lower incomes because yes, that's true! A congestion charge for a minimum wageworker will cost them much more than a person with wealth. They'll have the roads to themselves. Businesses will be hurt if people decide to avoid areas where congestion charges are in place. I'll keep saying it, This is a tax on the less well off, It's all the Green Party are capable of tax,tax,tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

You can cheap run around. The charges need to be proportionate to income, anything less, and it's a tax on the less well off.

No just pointing from someone saying they had definitely no options. You actually mention quite a few options.

This in a thread about a congestion zone, which some will have no option other to drive into it. Which I think is a genuinely the case for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No reason for charges to be proportionate to income, if that was the case, all taxation would be income taxation. That is a ridiculous argument.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't have a car. I know plenty of people who don't too and get by just fine. It's not because of being poor. Plenty of people have made that choice because they can in fact afford to not have a car

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kiteview

Actually it isn’t a ridiculous argument. A flat charge won’t deter high wealth people but will deter low wealth people - and allowing for an “It’s okay to pollute if you are rich” principle won’t help public acceptance of the charge.

The same point incidentally should apply for court fines etc. It does for instance in Finland where, twenty years or so ago, a Dot Com multimillionaire automatically received a €1 million+ speeding fine after being caught speeding for the third time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Guess what, don't drive a car and then it's not tax,tax,tax

A city centre more public friendly will make it better for business, like most European cities. As we have seen for years cars going into Dublin isn't improving the city centre is it? the opposite in fact

So maybe you can explain after many years why you think a city centre based on cars is a success?

The parts I see of the city which are really getting better is the sections closing off traffic. Imagine that

You fill every thread with the same nonsense. I am sure the government thread is probably a better point to fill it with the anti government nonsense waffle

No need to drag every thread down.

In terms of the comment "So back and do yer homework" …..I do know you fire that up to get a reaction and when someone responds you run to the mods to get them banned 😂

Wealthy people don't get wealthy by firing around money.

Go to London and travel the underground etc. Guess who is on it? everyone from every background

So this has been tested all over the World and people use public transport so trying to say Ireland is different is based on what exactly?

Some random case from Finland means nothing by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kiteview

You seem to have misinterpreted the point I was making (or possibly I have misinterpreted the point the poster I was replying to was making).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

So, on top of PAYE, PRSI, USC, VAT, Motor, LPT & Stamp Duty, they're adding another indirect tax.

Meanwhile 25% of Europe's Data Centre's operate here, their construction leaving a massive carbon footprint, and their operation putting a huge demand on our power grid, and the corporations that own them pay…. 12.5% (on paper, after clever accounting practices they probably pay less).

Sounds Fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,603 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is this as reliable as your assessment about how the DLR councillors were going to kill off the Living Streets plan with 'a strong majority'? 🤣🤣🤣

As it happens, Ryan ruled congestion charges for now before Donohue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,603 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just ICYMI, bedsit legislation was brought in 2013, by a government that had no Green involvement.

Many people with lower incomes can't afford to buy and maintain a car. Where's your concern about the travel costs of those who don't have a car?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i agree with what the lad whose username starts with a capital F and has a 99 in it says.

(i sometimes get them confused)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Working class people and those on lower wages aren't voting Green anyway and the Green's know it. I've met several snooty types who can afford to drop 70k on an electric car who are all pro congestion charges as it prices those who can't afford it off the roads. Driving will only be done by the upper middle and rich classes in 10 years time if these Green lunatics have their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

many of us snooty types can afford cars but choose not to have one. the only reason i would like congestion charges is because it might stop people who don't need to be driving into town from doing so thus leaving us with a less congested cleaner city. i work with people from artane and kilmainham that drive to work in the city centre just because they can, they should be charged for that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are being unreasonable. Everyone knows for a fact that a congestion charge will save the planet by forcing China and India to curtail their ever increasing CO2 output. China and India are going to look at each other and say; 'will you just look at those amazing Irish, gosh! 0.3% of global CO2 emissions and they are introducing a congestion charge. We must immediately stop our efforts to drag our populations from relative poverty to where we have the prosperity they enjoy.

Bring on the congestion charge, I say, it's going to change everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

They are charged for it already. Motor tax, tax on fuel, VRT etc….

This notion that car drivers "need to pay" is BS. We pay more than enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you need to pay more for the privilege of clogging up the city centres though, or leave it at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Agreed, motorists are not charged for anything, it's all free, don't believe those scurrilous lies about Ireland having the third highest costs of motoring in the EU. All lies I tell you, they pay nothing.

Advertisement