Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Air/Congestion Charging set to be introduced by 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭well24

fair enough :) But I think what he was referring to is only the dirt poor dont have cars if they wanted to have one.. Most people can choose to have or not to have something, other than the dirt poor who cannot choose to have something if they cant afford it!

I know ppl who dont have cars, but they choose not to, they could afford it if they wanted to!

So yeah still lame..

Nope, but its fairly obvious :)

Like me for example, I have worked in Clonee and Blanch - no way to get their using public transport from balbriggan - other than a really long winded way of getting their - so not viable

Friends who work anywhere on the south side of dublin, the list goes on and on..

Basically anybody living in a suburb of Dublin, trying to get anywhere other than the city centre…

Thats only Dublin, how about the rest of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The thread is about a congestion charge for cities, maybe Cork but in reality the focus will be Dublin. So not sure what you mean by "rest of the country"?

Driving from Balbriggan to Blanchardstown is not into the city so wouldn't be affected by a congestion charge which is typically based on entering the city centre

I somehow doubt the "list goes on and on" when you don't seem to understand what a congestion charge is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You can see the improvements in public transport and car sharing, hiring and eBikes means it not having a car is more doable than ever in cities.

But outside it isn't. And while owning and running a car is expensive there's no really initiative to reward low mileage use of a car. So if you have one you might as well use it.

All that's left is forcing people into the alternatives.

In the flip side of this, with housing crisis and lack of options and capacity for many driving is still a requirement for large numbers of people. So it's always going to be there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Basically anybody living in a suburb of Dublin, trying to get anywhere other than the city centre…

In the last number of years, where I am in Leixlip has seen new services joining Naas to Blanch along with other non-city based routes. We also have a 24 hour bus route into the city. There are plans for many other orbital routes if you look them up.

Bus services are improving with the biggest obstacle to rolling out services being those who wish to protect the dominance of the car on our roads. Even the busses passing through Leixlip, Maynooth and elsewhere face delays simply because of the queues of people driving ahead of them.

• Advertisement

Or another way of saying congestion charge is tax…Im sure they'll find a way to charge anyone who uses car.. they already do, and Im sure theirs more coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ireland has poor radial bus services, and we have had this problem for generations because no political party has ever taken public transport seriously.

The greens, over the past few years have ensured that for every euro spent on roads, 2 euros had to be spent on public transport. This has seen a huge improvement in regional bus services. It takes time to build this level of infrastructure after almost a century of neglect

Ill take your word for it, but I aint noticed much improvement..

• Advertisement

That’s not a congestion charge so not sure why you are talking about it on a thread about a congestion charge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Greens need to own their ideas - good & bad.

We have a significant accommodation problem in our towns and cities in particular. And the people most affected are students, lower paid workers and more elderly singles. The Greens spearheaded a campaign in the FF/Green government to ban bedsits, which were an affordable type of accommodation for these groups in society. The urban Greens argued from their leafy gardens, that bedsits were of poor quality and that banning them would lead to a better standard of accommodation. As usual with their ideas, they never put in this 'better standard of accommodation' before it was implemented. Hence we now have students like our, priced out of any accommodation and obliged to long health damaging commutes.

The Greens need to own their ideas and the public need to be reminded regularly just who was a player in how we got where we are.

Likewise with pushing cars off the roads, another great Green idea and would be wonderful in cities and towns and throughout the state for that matter if we had good quality public transport options in place first. But the standard Green tactic here now is get legislation rolling on these things, before they are booted again, and then hope that infrastructure will follow to fill the holes.

Is it busy, cheaper or more frequent, more options than 10 years ago. Mine is..

What?

Busy = very, so much so that a private operator has taken up the slack, if not for them the 101x would be terrible.

Cheaper - not sure about that, have been using it for past 6 years and hard to tell, at the mo I use Leap but in the past I had got a yearly ticket thru work..

Options - definitely no

• Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Complete nonsense. Less than half the population own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think anyone who is genuinely interested in this topic ought to listen to Claire Byrne's interview with Paschal Donohoe on the Today programme yesterday morning.

It is absolutely clear that no FG led government (and I reasonably assume no FF one either) is going to back the introduction of any of these measures ahead of the delivery of the Metro, DART+, and all of Bus Connects being up and running, and the Tram system in Cork too.

Its clear this proposal will be banged around for a while as a bone thrown to Eamon Ryan, but will fall with the end of this Dáil. Any other discussion around it is largely moot.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the summary.

That said this govt is so slow and so underperforming I'd have no expectation they'd act on this tbh.

only answered your questions, but more buses would be good

and express buses outside of rush hours

BTW the route actually got a bit worse last year when they introduced new buses as their were less seats on them

nope, 48 - in answer to 'Lame? Are you fifteen or what?'

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kiteview

The timeframe being mentioned for this proposal is extremely lackadaisical for a serious pollution issue.

Most European cities started introducing LEZ and ULEZs from the 2010s on, so Dublin only considering introducing one in 2030 is real long fingering of the issue (and it should be noted there’s no mention of introducing it for any other city or town in Ireland).

To set it in context, a car would need to be a pre-2006 model car to incur a charge were we to adopt the system used in London. It should be obvious that a small percentage of cars on the roads in Dublin today are pre-2006 cars and that percentage is falling steadily due to those cars reaching “end of life”. It is therefore ridiculous to delay introducing the scheme until the 2030s for the sake of the “old bangers” on the road and that a date of 2026 would be more than generous provided it was accompanied by a “scrappage scheme”.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

Is this the line being fed to you by the same contacts who said the Dun Laoghaire Living Streets plan would be voted down?

The ban of bedsit happened in 2013 and was down to the poor quality of a lot of them.

The rest of the same sort of nonsense we see posted daily on every anti Green thread. Try post something new, it's about 20 years of posting about "leafy" soemthing or other, was silly day 1 and hasn't change.

You claimed to drive from Balbriggan to Blanchardstown/Clonee. Now you are claimed you using public transport :-) that was when you thought a congestion charge would affect every car in Ireland

If you did use public transport you would be aware of the 90 minute fare which has provided significant saving for people.

I claimed I used to drive to blanch / clonee, but that was 2017 and prior, now I use bus to commute to city - I changed jobs :)

come on now, stop trying to confuse the matter - quite straightforward really

And yes congestion charge is just going to be another of the many taxes that affect motorists, it may not affect motorists going from balbriggan to blanch, but Im sure some other tax will be introduced to catch those naughty drivers… just wont be called congestion charge! It always amazes me how easily some ppl are fooled..

Does the 90 min fare apply to commuting from Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

How could it be 'all about me', if I'm sitting at a table outdoors, causing no harm to anyone, and not having a negative impact on anyone, unless they are upset that I am spending my money. You see the difference between the picture I painted, and a motorist in their car, creating noise and fumes that effects every person in the area- If you are there you are having a negative impact on their mental and physical health- do you see the difference? I fear that you actually do not see the difference, this is the problem with a lot of people with cars, they do not see the impact they have on others, or how they put others lives at risk. But God forbid there's a cyclist on the road that is cycling in a way that impedes them.

BTW, I own a van and a car, the Van I use for work, the car I use for day trips etc. I definitely do not drive it into, or through town or use it for any trip less than 10km round trip.

• Advertisement

Who cares if what journey you do. In my opinion they are valid scenarios.

I would however say its being disingenuous saying you don't see improvements, when there are obvious improvements on those routes and/or scenarios. I accept the issue of capacity issues. That's very common. I've actually decided on occasion to take the car even though it's a lot more expensive, and longer because I couldn't take the overcrowding some days.

I will say taking on a new job or such I do factor the commute and will avoid jobs that drag me into heavy congestion in the car, with no rail alternative. It's just not worth it anymore.

Advertisement