Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭sporina

boards was class pre Vanilla.. the changeover was a bullet.. slowly dying..

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

Maybe serial re-reggers could stop joining up to say how bad this place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭con747

Only a matter of time before the thread is shut down after being moved here.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Reddit is next to useless for discussion though, they might allow controversial posts but unpopular posts, including most likely your controversial one, are self censored by the community

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

How do you know if someone is re-regger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

If you throw them in water and they float, they're a re-reg…if they drown they deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

It's just the format and how people use the internet that is killing boards. There's no way of preserving it long term just prolonging the decline. People, including myself, are getting more and more used to either a 10 minute video on Youtube vs watching a movie, then it's watching a 30 sec TikTok vs a 10 minute Youtube video. The attention span and willingness to put in effort online is just getting less and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

A mod shouldn't need to be paid to be consistent in their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

The tech fora are prime examples of that.

Once upon you could ask the most niche question and a detailed answer would appear in minutes

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

But their only 'pay' in that scenario is the "power" of being a mod. They're, ultimately, being used. That's problematic on multiple levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

nearly every second poster is seeking to be offended and needs to be protected by the mods (mummy)

Then the mods jump on and ban/warn etc. less regulation might help

I don't think the argue the post, not the poster is the problem here. That's a good rule. But it's only applied on the subjective whim of a mod. They're human and have their faves. And if you've had an issue with a mod who mods a forum/thread they let whomever do whatever to you after that. And it's easy for them to justify. Another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That's the thing - old school message boards are just way superior for actual discussion. The format lends itself to linear and ongoing discussion.

The likes of Reddit, as busy and all as it is, are painful to use and experience for that kind of thing. You'd never scroll through a Reddit thread in its entirety to see what people are saying - well I wouldn't any way. It just becomes a disjointed collection of random opinions.

It does lend itself to the constant repetition you'll see on Reddit. Threads start, they blow up for a while, die away, someone else starts a thread on the same subject shortly afterwards and the cycle repeats itself. There's no "memory" There's threads here that have ran for years and, at their best, are repositorys for poster's knowledge and advice etc that's built up over time. Reddit doesn't have this kind of archive. It's absolutely one thing going for it that boards has that Reddit doesn't.

Fully agree with the downvoting phenomenon turning things into an echo chamber. But, on the other hand, the equal prominence given to every post on a message board thread can often mean that the most overbearing and/or witless are given more oxygen than is due. Double edged sword I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's Phasing out not fazing out! Tch, the younger generation...!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mods seem far too eager to shut down and stifle debate, fearing whatever it is they think is fearful. Maybe they’re way too preoccupied in legal mumbo-jumbo. Case in point today regarding an OTT fear of discussing Jeffrey Donaldson.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Even moving this thread from After Hours to a quieter part of the site that sees less traffic is a way of killing a discussion that is critical of the site and some of the moderation is just typical.

Regards,

p..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭yagan

Internet forums have suffered since social media took off.

Plus a lot of the demographic that was active in the first decade are mostly settled down now with kids taking up all their free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I remember a few years back where every thread on the home page was had a new comment less than 2 minutes old, unless it was the dead of night.

Just goes to show how the interaction has decreased.

For me the issues are A. the vanilla update being so poorly executed. Never mind the site being down, but the site design is still stuck in the early 2000s. B. deleting comments and thread with no warning or context C. The demographics changing, less casual posters and more "extreme" views

It seems the joy and the chat has disappeared. There's a certain bitterness and feeling that posters are only commenting to push an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

Theres a Mod on the fianace and banking thread. He closes down every query anyone has on Revolut and bangs it into a single thread Revolut.

If I want to ask a specific question about any aspect of Bank of Ire, AIB, EBS Credit Union etc, or anything else, I'm allowed open a thread and ask a question on it. With Revolut however, he transfers every single query it to the single Revolut thread. As if anyone has the time to wade through pages and pages of questions that are totally irrelevant to them, just to see if their query had been asked before,

Nearly every person, most especially young people, in the country has a Revolut card, but this mod doesn't want various queries on Revolut messing up his page. What's the point in visiting his overmoderated page.

I don't visit that page anymore myself, life too short. And I'm sure he's succeeded in scaring off a lot of other people as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I blame the users. Site went down for two weeks,.the best posters left leaving a shower of winging right-leaning wind bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

And they comment the same thing on every thread about lower banking costs about how banking's a commodity now, noone wants to pay for it, it won't be free forever and how great Swiss banking is. Telling everyone not to go for free banking because it can't stay free forever. Weird logic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I was late teens when first modded. That was quite awhile ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Many posters left over vanilla move and every week there is issues that rarely get fixed or answered

I feel since Covid some mods have gone on power trips, handing out warnings and bans unwarranted to some but not others but then I suppose everyone is bias with a mod decision against them

I'd be happy for a decent working site with some help given to Boards Mike who I cannot tag now as is he now solo

Just got warned, and threatened with a thread ban, for posting about Donaldson's expenses from 2009. Nothing to do with today's charges. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

I think its the notification system.

I used to subscribe to lots of threads that interest me - and be notified at the end of the week in one summary - and I would read and respond then. It ropes people back in.

Now I get bombarded with so many emails - one per post throughout the day - that I generally unsubscribe from the most active threads - and promptly forget they exist if I don't see them on the front page again…. (if this is my only post to this thread - that's why… :/ )

People have said just use the Followed Forums page - but getting folk to have to manually poll a page is not how to keep potential posters engaged and active.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

you’re having a joke, right? This place is gang busters full of hippy dippy left wingers.

If your anyway right of the left. Thread banned/site ban

• Registered Users Posts: 14,927 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have seen site bans handed where I thought the moderation was heavy handed, but for re-reg in general I would tend to go with a saying my father had. "People do not end up in prisons because of their good behaviour"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not carrying the flag for mods at all, but saying the only motivation is power is quite a negative take. One might do it cos they're enthusiastic about the site or feel committed. Or feel its a type community service, volunteer work. Or other reasons not necessarily 'power'. Am I naive?

I think thats a bit harsh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement