Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options
1697071727375»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That’s what I thought but gave it to the dogs- raw. No bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ralph_GM

Anyone know where all the own brand sour cream and chive dips are gone?

Disappeared from Lidl and Tesco. Sure it's the same in Aldi. Been gone for quite a while now, only salsa on the price label.

I bought a tub of avonmore sour cream hoping it would be the same, but it's not.

Not paying mad money for doritos dip.

Bought Aldi Sour Cream at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very strange. I cooked rice, and fried whiting fillets, dusted in flour, in sunflower oil tonight. Went out afterwards and when I came back the kitchen smelt (smelled?) exactly, and I mean exactly, like generic Chinese takeaway!

No garlic or ginger cooked. There's no fried fish smell, as you might expect, just what I can only describe as Chinese takeaway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Must have been some good rice! Or did you have the beer munchies that primed your olfactory nerves? Hmm... 🧐

Or maybe my chicken curry is sending out waves of aroma across the city… (hardly).

• Advertisement

Well it probably always smells of rice as we batch cook a pot of rice weekly. We cook a lot of rice. Our kitchen/living room always smells of some cooking, it's just never smelled of this particular smell that's very familiar and it's from Chinese takeaway. I cook a lot of Chinese food at home and have never gotten this particular aroma before. What's interesting is that I didn't cook any ingredient associated with Chinese food tonight.

Probably not as interesting to anyone else, though 😊

I might be calling around regardless @the beer revolu! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I made a fig bbq sauce last year, was suggested on here, i cant find the link, any ideas?

im finding a franklin recipe on google but not sure if thats correct

oops, found it, it was the nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Baked my first ever pie, this weekend.

Key Lime and it was absolutely delicious

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Unfortunately no, family demolished it.

First time baking any dessert, actually, never mind a pie

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

So I decided to bake for a second time ever.

Same pie but the kids wanted to help this time, so food colouring was a 100% must have

So here's where absolute beginner me needs some advice. What's the best way, in a pie like this, to stop the syneresis at the bottom (look at me using a chemistry term 20 years after college). Is it ok to use a starch or something as a stabiliser to hold in the liquid?

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The first step is to repent from your syneresis. Sin and heresy are both very very bad.

May I have a slice, now, please?

It's nettle season again.

I have a pot of chicken carcasses on the gas for stock and will make a big pot of nettle soup with wolf leeks and wild garlic, later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My first foray into the world of homemade protein balls (117 calories, 5.9g protein per ball). Oats, powder, choc chip, peanuts, honey, small bit of almond milk to keep them relatively moist. Sweet, because herself loves peanut butter, hates dried fruit and won't buy in unless I start off with something she'll like. Will try branch out into slightly less chocolatey ones next up.

^ Were the ingredients expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy has started making something similar. This week she stuffed dates with peanut butter, dipped in dark chocolate (melted with a bit of coconut oil), the sprinkled with sea salt. Last week she made oat bars with chopped apricots, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, drizzled again with dark chocolate. Absolutely lush!

Probably the most expensive (by weight) was the choc chips. And I could get that down by simply buying dark chocolate and shaving it up. Oats, honey and peanut butter were pretty cheap. I haven't done a cost analysis mind you, probably should to see how much they cost compared to the shop ones.

• Advertisement

Have pictures gone squiffy and massive for everyone else on the site or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Preparing a "makey uppy" (no recipe) beetroot salad…

Grated cooked beetroot (the three pack from Lidl), thinly sliced raw onion, cumin, Japanese 7 spice (hot!), furikake seasoning (seaweed, sesame seed), orange blossom water (sparingly), olive oil, apple cider vinegar (Bragg), s&p.

Tastes good, letting it chill in the fridge now.

It's going with a veggie burger (really good, actually!), but I'd like to try it with smoked mackerel, spinach, and maybe sweet potato? Hmm…

A type of sauteed or stir fried cabbage and carrot mix, loosely based on this.

I skipped the meat, and used a little touch of Chinese 5 spice in place of the cloves.

Lightly seasoned though (soy sauce, fish sauce, bay leaves, maple syrup, salt and pepper), and I added a small amount of onion, so it's a versatile, tasty and healthy vegetable side.

This, along with my beetroot salad from above, seem like cheap, easy and healthy veg sides which I like!

Advertisement