Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There are times where I have improvised with foil, but for most stuff, yeah, I'd like to have the option of a proper lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A skillet would not normally come with a lid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you buy a full set they are often the same size as the largest or second largest pot and can use it's lid. But you'd want to verify that first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

"I might just make a little grated carrot salad..." *

Hours later, still finding little bits of carrot feckers everywhere: sink, counters, floors, hallway, bathroom JFC!

• I added orange blossom water, maple syrup, sesame oil and dill.

I'm sure I'll even find a few in my bed.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Random Christmas food related thoughts...

Brandy cream - seems like it should be a year round product.

Spiced beef curiosity - split in the curing mix used. Some recipes use allspice. Some use clove, pimento, and pepper. I wonder is it a regional thing.

A 1.8 turkey crown v a 3.6kg whole turkey... which has more white meat?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Brandy cream - seems like it should be a year round product.

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I just made this seed mix, or a variation of it, thanks to @Dave_The_Sheep from the breakfast thread.

I didn't have mustard seeds, but added a little bit of smoked paprika, and the last of my M&S dukkha.

The seeds are quite crispy now, so I may have overheated them, and possibly oversalted it too. But still delicious, and I will play around with the recipe.

Thanks Dave! 👍️

Do you have any ideas of how this could be stored? I'm guessing an airtight glass jar, I think I'll do that. Room temp I suppose, but I know it won't last long! 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's never lasted long enough for me to have to worry about that! It's addictive as crack especially with dukka in it I imagine it's even better.

But yeah, I guess airtight jar. I used an old takeaway sauce container.

Was bored today so decided to try and be slightly productive. Pickled cabbage, some chilli oil and rosemary salt. I have the other half of the cabbage to use up so I honestly might make some more, can see it being lovely on sandwiches, having some later on a roll with some pork for dinner.

• Advertisement

^^ Nice work @Dave_The_Sheep. I've been meaning to try making pickles, a little bit intimidated about the possibility of infection... is it easy to sterilise jars? Would the dishwasher be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope, they need a higher heat than that. Oven to 140C and leave them in there for 10 mins.

Boil the lids (or sealing rings if using Kilner) for at least 5 minutes and handle them with tongs when removing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or you can stick the lot in a pressure cooker with some water, but you can't do as many in one go.

I don't have a pressure cooker either, maybe the air fryer will do for the glass. Is it OK to reuse a glass jar with a metal screw type lid?

Ah, maybe I'll experiment and find out 😂

Or perhaps I should invest in some of those kilner jars, but even a lot of those are screw top too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Killer jars are so worth the investment. They last forever unlike most other types. Woodies have them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Home Store and More do, too. And I seem to remember some Irish online packaging/containers site, too, I'll see if I can remember the website.

Ah, now you're just trying to be difficult! 🤣

I will admit ... I don't sterilise my jars. I'm too lazy. I do cover them in boiling water for a while. Now that I know it's doable in the oven without too much effort, I'm totally down for that though.

Fuckin' expensive when you're giving them away as gifts mind you. Thankfully my family have cottoned on to this and are saving them and giving them back to me in the knowledge they'll be getting stuff back in them later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

My dad used to make me pickled onions and the like but he sadly passed last year. I'm gonna have to start it up to keep up the yearly jars. Nothing better than a simple bit of fresh bread, cheese and a bit of pickle

• Advertisement

Hawksmoor... I'm not a big steak fan, but this does look very good. As they are a chain, this is Gary's review of the restaurant in London, Borough.

Worth a try if I make a visit to Dublin?

EDIT: This was probably the wrong thread to post in, but once I heard Hawksmoor, I recalled the name from Boards, and Googled it. It brought me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m not a big steak eater either but I’ve heard FX Buckleys is better. When you coming to the real, proper capital? 🫣

FX Buckley is better for steaks by a good bit, based on one visit to Hawksmoor Dublin (and two in London) and multiple visits to FXBs (various locations around town).

Here were my thoughts about the visit - and a few posts after are a few other users. Short version: Hawksmoor great for cocktails, atmosphere and sides. Merely good for the steaks (which is why I go to a steakhouse). FXB a good bit better for steaks (and also have very good cocktails and sides, though the cocktails in Hawksmoor were better).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bought a carton of Squeez apple juice drink (think it was on offer and I assumed it was proper Apple juice)- one of the most vile things I have tasted in a like while. Don’t remember it tasting this bad. Like stale bland watery apples

Went to Hawksmoor yesterday for the Tayto & toastie special. Possibly the best sambo in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where is Hawksmoor?

Dame St. Well, I suppose College Green. Former National Bank.

Was over in the Asia Market store over in Ballymount, been ordering from them online for a good few years now, but the store is another level. I could have spent ages there, and I'm glad I ate beforehand as my impulse control would have been on the floor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have had the smallest bit of kitchen progress in my renovation from hell that I've moaned about on here for, oh, two years.

A whole two of the wall cabinets are now properly, permanently installed in their final locations; and have shelves and doors. This is an 80x100 and a 40x100 so quite a lot of space.

A third 60x100 is going to be mounted Immenently, possibly tomorrow or Thursday. The rails to mount the rest of the upper cabinets is in, but I need to do surgery to all of them to handle the extractor, and it hasn't arrived yet.

I no longer need to have crockery/cutlery/implements/pantry items on two open book cases; with the third cupboard there I'll be able to dig out - replace, mostly - the advanced pantry stuff and actually make interesting curries and so on again.

To 'celebrate' I also bought the cheapest kitchen table IKEA have to put the portable induction hob on and give a bit more space to chop veg on - I'd been using the kitchen table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Advertisement