Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In fairness and with respect to the intention behind the idea, I'd say the last thing people in DP want to be fed is even more cheap crap, even if cooked by people who know what they're doing. By far the biggest issue that people in DP have with the food arrangements, from my reading, is not being able to prepare, cook and share food from their own cultures, especially around special occasions, holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It would need to, essentially, be a private party. Making it a public event, in a public space becomes problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm working with a local councillor on this. We have a public park virtually opposite the centre. It would be perfect but I hear what you're saying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

More upper cabinets fitted in the new kitchen in the renovation from hell

I am now down to two IKEA moving boxes full of the bits I don't have space for, and a lot of them aren't particularly regular use items - my swing top bottles for bottled cocktails when having parties, my cocktail shakers, spare wooden chopping boards for serving stuff. Also a few bits of aluminium cookware, as I'm currently on induction so can't use them.

Means I've got my spice grinder, mini food processor, mandoline (although I can't find the different blades), mezzaluna, potato ricer and so on back and to hand. Now to figure out something to actually use all this with.

Poor dishwasher has done two loads a day for the past week washing everything that was in storage.

Just paid €1.75 for a packet of Tayto Salt & Vinegar in my local Centra. I remember when they were 5p. 😳

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Kenwood chef mixer going free if anyone wants it. 😋

Two years ago, I was buying Tayto Bistro (usually more expensive than regular Tayto) in one particular shop in West Waterford for €1.05.

Centra have always been saucy for crisps. Crisps used to have a pretty standard rrp but now the price varies wildly between shops!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had been getting my sister, who shops in Tesco, to keep me the Tesco square spice/herb jars as she finished them - ended up with a decent pile of them.

This evenings boredom aversion tast was decanting everything I had in odd shape or bigger/awkward spice jars in to them this evening. Loads of correct lids/labels; but label printed the name to stick over the lid on stuff that I only had a "wrong" bottle for.

Now have a consistent size/shape/height to put all the jars in to easy to take out trays; put the refill bags I get from Eurasia away somewhere in the dark and avoid having to figure out by smell/colour what is in the random decade old IKEA spice jars (Ihardig mostly, also a white ceramic one with a wood and rubber lid) with lids that randomly decide not to seal. And there's a significant space saving - the square jars hold more for their footprint and getting rid of the IKEA giants has given me space for many more in the same space.

Also, the Tesco jars don't try to have sprinklers on them meaning they have a fairly sane opening that doesn't get clogged up and refuse to seal like Lidl/Aldi spice jars do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Trying to find a chilli sauce for drizzling over grains etc, one of the types I can get off the shelf.

the sweet chilli is too sweet and sriracha doesn't sit well, peri peri is yucky, what do ppl recommend?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

[edited out]

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Just to say up front - I'd appreciate if we could keep dieting conversations to a minimum. Obviously discussing things you're cooking is fine. But discussions of diets, restricting food groups, calorie counting, weight loss etc goes against the spirit of the forum. I mean this in the best way possible and wish you luck in your endeavours.

Fair enough. Will leave it alone so.

Aye, sure might do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I would ask there, it was discussed quite a lot in a mostly impartial basis. Nearly was in trouble health wise but it had other risks which will be evident there.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

My first attempt at a honeycomb. First time ever making a dessert actually.

Tastes delicious but probably should have increased the temp a bit more

PS: advice is always welcome

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

I would say if you intend to keep making it, a sugar thermometer is definitely needed. It's almost impossible to gauge when the mix is at the right temp to add the bicarb without one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We will remain interested here in everything you eat and care to post about :)

No. You've said it now... YOU NEVER CARED!

(Funnily enough, I post on a discord elsewhere where I know there are some people with similar ish diets / conditions and I'm genuinely curious if any of them twig it from pictures alone)4

And in case it wasn't entirely clear last night. I am 100% joking, nor did I take offence. Just as you imagine with someone going through a dietal shift, I don't have a lot to post right now.

Mainly because I'm wasting the freezer, hammering a few takeaways and restaurants.

Last supper, etc.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

So I bought a couple of minute steaks about 10 days ago. Used one for a steak sandwich and forgot about the other until yesterday. It’s been uncovered in the fridge so it’s nearly dried through.

What would you do with it? Another steak sandwich or something different?

What would I do with steak that's been uncovered in the fridge for 10 days??? Throw it in the brown bin. I wouldn't even give it to my dog. Seriously.

Straight into th wheelie bin. That'll start to stink as soon as it hits room temp.

No smell so far. It was meant to go to the dogs yesterday but I forgot. Thanks all. 😋

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you smoke, I wouldn't rely on my sense of smell if I were you. (not sure if you do)

If you must give it to the dogs, cook it well first!

Give it to the dogs but make sure the vet is open that day

• Advertisement

I'd try that steak, well seared on the outside. It's just aged. Looks potentially delicious.

Advertisement