Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I was sure I had posted this but can't find it now. I had a great laugh this weekend at the Irish Times' article (subscriber only so no point in linking it here):

"Cheap eats: 10 quick, no-fuss dinners for starter cooks. Easy dinner recipes for starter cooks – or anyone – working on a limited budget"

It included ingredients like fennel (that had to be crushed) or molasses. And recipes like lasagne with a side salad and garlic bread. On no planet is lasagne a quick or easy meal to make. Unless it comes pre made from M&S or Tesco!

(disclaimer: i don't subscribe to the Irish Times)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between cooked and frozen barley and buckwheat grouts?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You had posted it 🙂

I do subscribe to the Irish Times and mostly enjoy their food content but it's a running joke between me and my boyfriend at this stage how out of touch they can be. Corinna Hardgrave is particularly guilty, constantly reviewing "affordable" restaurants where dinner for two with two glasses of wine is upwards of €120.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Barley is barley, buckwheat is buckwheat? They are different grains AFAIK. Not sure what you mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps the poster cooked and froze both barley and buckwheat? Now that they are frozen, there is difficulty in telling them apart?

Maybe?

If so, I don't know the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Like the beer revolu said I cooked both and froze them, now I need to take out the buckwheat but as I'm unfamiliar with buckwheat, I cant tell the difference now they are frozen. Tasting is not an option.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Buckwheat is kind of triangular in shape, barley is more oval, whitish and with a darker line across it, which buckwheat doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

There's a bake sale upcoming in work. Would cooking Jambons and sausage rolls be considered odd? The reason for going savoury is that there is always a ton of heavy chocolate cakes so looking to bring something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I donated sausage rolls to two bake sales this month and they were gratefully received. Everything usually sells out at Bake Sales, regardless of whether they are sweet or savoury, that’s why they make great fundraisers. Don’t worry about it.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I would be delighted anyway, had my fill of muffins, brownies, biscuit cake etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jamessmith0901

https://gowithguide.com/blog/chile-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5558

Ingredients

You'll need flour, salt, sugar, butter, water, ground beef, onion, garlic, vegetable oil, beef broth, cumin, paprika, black olives, raisins, fresh cilantro, and an egg.

Directions:

First, make the dough by mixing the flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in some butter and add cold water until the dough comes together. Let it rest in the fridge for a bit.

For the filling, brown some ground beef and set it aside. Cook some onions and garlic in oil, add flour and beef broth, then add the beef back in. Season with cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add black olives, raisins, and cilantro.

Roll out the dough, cut it into circles, and fill with the beef mixture. Fold it over and seal the edges with a fork. Brush with egg wash and bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes until they're golden brown.

Enjoy your delicious, homemade Empanadas de Pino! 🥟❤️

^ Me thinks the Kids would wolf those down, thank you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just posting a recipe I got from NeighbourFood for an Italian ragu, or Bolognese sauce, whatever you call it!

I recently bought some minced beef from Caherbeg via NF, but have plans to make a savoury mince instead.

Real Italian Ragu

I noticed that there are some great deals on the Ingredients needed to pull off this recipe so I thought I would share.

Olives West Cork have tinned tomatoes at €2 a tin.

Caherbeg have sausage and minced beef bulk options too.

Perfect time to whip up a big batch of classic Italian Ragu!

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RAGU AND BOLOGNESE

One of the first things you learn when visiting Italy (or speaking to an Italian is that Spaghetti Bolognese doesn't exist! It's traditionally served with tagliatelle pasta and never spaghetti which is why you'll hear Italians say it.

Not only that, the sauce is not called Bolognaise!

Ragu depending on where you are in the world is a meat-based sauce usually consisting of finely chopped vegetables, ground meat and cooked in a liquid such as wine, tomatoes or stock.

Bolognese on the other hand actually means something originating from Bologna, Emilia Romagna and their classic ragu alla bolognese (ragu from Bologna) has been a little lost in translation over the years. It's very similar to this one although is often made with white wine and sometimes milk which is thought to tenderise the meat (which I use too).

There are hundreds of different types of ragu all containing different meats or vegetables like our Venetian Duck Ragu (perfect for special occasions) and our Sausage Ragu which is super easy!

A classic Italian beef ragu is easy and packed full of flavour! Not only that, I usually only make it twice a year in my biggest pot. I then portion it and freeze it and it becomes our emergancy dinner.

This ground beef ragu is made using only a few simple ingredients and can be used in so many ways. Toss it with fresh tagliatelle pasta, make it into lasagne with bechamel sauce or use it as a filling for homemade ravioli for a truly authentic Italian meal.

Slow Slow Slow

This ragu needs a minimum of 3 hours cooking time so you can easily make it only a few hours before serving it.

That being said the longer it has to simmer the better the flavour will be, just remember that you'll need to keep topping up with water or stock to stop it reducing too much. The night before allows it time to settle into itself and will be even better the next day.

Ingredients

1 carrot

1 white onion

1 stalk celery

1 tablespoon olive oil

250g ground beef (mince)

250g ground pork (mince/sausagemeat/sausages)

1 Tin tomatoes (passata or chopped)

1 tablespoon tomato paste

200mls milk

230ml red wine

1ltr beef stock

sprigs of thyme & rosemary

1 bay leaf (optional)

1 pinch salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Finely chop the carrot, onion and celery and sweat the vegetables gently in a large frying pan with the olive oil. Once the vegetables are soft remove from the pot and turn up the heat. Add the ground beef and pork and cook until browned. The fat of the pork should render to brown but the meat may stick. Scratch it with a wooden spoon.
    2. Add back the soffrito (softened vegetables) and add the milk. Simmer until almost gone. Add the red wine & sprigs of herbs and reduce by half. Once the wine has reduced by half add the passata, tomato paste and half of the beef stock and a pinch of salt and pepper.
    3. Stir the sauce then add the bay leaf. Let it simmer on a low heat uncovered for 3 hours topping up with the rest of the stock as it reduces.

Remeber to check on the ragu every now and then to stir it and add extra stock or water if needed.

Notes

• Don't rush the soffritto or you won't get the real depth of flavour.
    • Make sure to use 50/50 ground beef and pork.
    • Use high-quality passata (sieved tomatoes) as cheaper brands can be very acidic.
    • Try to use the highest quality beef stock or broth you can find if not homemade. This sauce is super simple so high-quality ingredients are important.
    • If serving the traditional way with tagliatelle pasta then boil the pasta then add it straight into the ragu and toss to coat before serving.
    • Leftover can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheated. You may need to loosen with extra water or stock.
    • You can also freeze this ragu just thaw completely before reheating.

Enjoy!

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aldi had hams on the super 6 there, small ones. I picked up one that was about 700g.

Boiled/simmered it for 50 mins, then into the oven for 20 mins to glaze it. The end result was pretty rubbery.

Is this an issue with cooking technique, or likely an issue with the quality of ham itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what happened the Toonsbridge Dairy shop on Georges St, D2? Was out of the country for the last 6 months and then I get back last week and its gone 😕

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's hard to say for certain, but I've never been happy with hams from Aldi and Lidl. Your method sounds grand to me. Dunnes, SuperValu and Tesco seem to have much better quality pork products. I like Aldi and Lidl for most things but I've never had a great ham from either.

Yea I temp probed it and it was perfect after 50 mins, so I thought I was on to a winner. Really disappointed!

Prompted by an Italian restaurant thread I got to thinking about this again.

Why do people so often assume that if someone is from a country renouned for its cuisine, that person is a gourmand and an expert in that cuisine. And sometimes people assume it of themselves.

For instance, my mother-in-law is from Singapore. People always assume she's a great cook and gourmand. She's not she hates cooking and is rubbish at it and dislikes loads of foods.

If Italians are all expert on Italian food, who eats in all the rubbish restraunts in Italy?

I one had a Spanish guy explaining how to make paella to me. He was a poor cook, insisting that packet paella spice mix was the best way!

I've met French people pretty clueless about wine yet still adopting a "French wine expert" stance just because they are French.

People aren't great cooks or experts on food just because of their nationality (often not even very knowledgeable about their national cuisine).

I suppose what I'm saying is that we should have more confidence in our own judgements.

Having said that, I love local knowledge regarding food and cooking but you really do need to sort the bullshltters from the knowledgeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I bake those cheap hams in the airfryer at 160 for about 50 or 55 mins - usually turn out ok, can't say they've been rubbery. Use them for one dinner for my kid and myself, and the rest into omelets later in the week.

Two Italian chefs had a tv programme a few years ago (Jamie Oliver’s first boss was one of them). They were going round Italy tasting as they went. In one restaurant, they asked all the 20 year-old diners and not one of them cooked, ever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mrs G always said she couldn't cook, recently she's taken to it like she was born for it, as pointed out above, she wouldn't have had faith in herself previously, my ever expanding waistline cannot be denied!.

Do ye not bother boiling first?

I was on the fence about boiling tbh, like I don't boil the ham at Christmas as I get it from a good butcher but wasn't sure how these cheap ones would do without a boil.

nah, I prefer baked over boiled ham anyway - in the airfryer like that they get a nice char on the outside too. If the rind of fat is very thick I score it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We always get our hams from Dunnes - the odd Sunday one about 2kg and then ~3.5kg at Christmas. We soak it for a couple of hours, changing the water a couple of times. Maybe not strictly necessary but ensures any excess salt is gone.

Then bring to the boil and simmer until cooked through (if there's a lot of scummy stuff on the water we change it again during cooking), ham glaze on the top and bake in the oven at gas 5-6 to crisp up the fat.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cooking it too long I think. 20 mins per lb (450g) plus 20 mins. So for a 700g ham thats about 50-55 mins in total max. 40 in water, 15 in the oven.

yeah I do 50-55 mins in the airfryer

Maybe but I wouldn't expect over cooking to result in rubberiness, I would have expected it to become dry and a bit hard/brittle?

• Advertisement

Advertisement