Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

"It's a male minority pursuit"

"Why don't we make it safer, to encourage others to take part so?"

"No, lets keep it restricted to a male minority pursuit, that's how I like it"

That railway bridge will be replaced within the next ten years anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, research from various countries has shown that when you build high quality, safe cycling infrastructure, it leads to a very large rise in female, children and elderly cyclists.

It is actually one of the main arguments in favour of such infrastructure, that it allows more people to partake in the activity and is more equitable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And the cycle lanes are empty most of the day,

The M50 is empty for most of the day

many cyclists now work from home,

The evidence behind this claim being?

elderly didabled, most women not intetested in cycling,

They are not interested in cycling within the current conditions. There is an appetite for cycling if the infrastructure meant that the sense of safety improved.

its a male minority pursuit,

What is? You are probably just judging cycling to be a sport and ignoring the important and often missed fact that cycling is a sport, a means for commuting, a family activity, a means to travel to local amenities and shops and so on - so many different use cases all with different user types and different speeds, etc.

schools are closed for a very large part of the year and in any event parents walk the dog with the children to school so wont cycle no matter how many cycling lanes are installed.

This really is just a thick comment!

They also wont cycle if its windy or wet so no cycling from sept to May.

As i was commuting right through the winter on my bike, I saw plenty of others commuting(men, women and children). Your claim about it being windy or wet is based on nothing but your imagination.

Its all becoming a pointless waste of time, worsening traffic congestion, degrading the environment, causing huge stress and delay to motorists, damaging the economy as people turn to online shopping snd take outs etc rather than sit in their car wasting their spare time.😡

The reason why there is more and more congestion with people sitting in cars for longer and longer is simply down to one thing - the number of people who make the choice to get into their car. Blaming someting else is a cop-out from the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I live near Brookwood Rise, where the traffic is often back up to (and not just on school mornings by the way) while the right hand turn exists. So that blame can only be pinned on motorists, absolutely clogging the roads.

The volume of St Pauls school students cycling on the paths each day is outrageous, none of them will cycle on the road. Having safe cycle infrastructure in place for them, and students of the other local schools is most definitely worth it, even if motorists have to wait another 2 minutes to get through that Brookwood Avenue junction.

There is a newly installed traffic signal at the other end of Brookwood Avenue, adjoining Gracefield Road. Traffic is often back up there too, and guess who are the culprits....correct, motorists.

And do you know why you don't see cyclists sitting in those 'empty cycle lanes' by the way, because they are long gone and not stuck sitting in traffic.

And as to your point on orange and black traffic wands, these are only required because the standard of driving in the country is so poor that we have to have these eyesores in place to keep motorists out of areas where they shouldn't be.

Every single one of your gripes can be directly attributed to motorists, and here you are complaining about cyclists. Hilarious.

• Advertisement

Much of brookwood Ave could be redesigned to accommodate a cycle path on either side of the road taking some space from the road and some sapce from the grass verge. As it stands, the lanes are quite wide and given the long open view serves only to encourage speeding (hence the ramps along it). I also recall one of the few times I encountered a car which had rolled onto its roof (for no apparent reason) was along here on the RHS - something I'm sure some of the residents may recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

I see cycle lanes installed all around me and no one in them all day, its literally a monumental waste of time and money especially the two way ones that you cant get it or out of.

I manage to cycle on lots of roads mixing with traffic, cycled to school everyday as my mother didnt drive, we have to move away from this constant negativity about cycling, its doing more than anything else to put women off and if they are afraid to cycle then their children wont cycle either.

we dont have the climate for cycling, out and about today all over South Dublin, passed a few men on bikes, none going uphill and its hills everywhere, when its not raining its windy and the weather is getting worse.

Again in your plans for a cycle way, how will this impact those nice trees, are they to be cit down and the road festooned with ugly plastic wands.

And again the school is probably closed for more than half the year in total so why cause traffic carnage, we need to get away from this obsession about cycling to school if cycle lanes are impacting residents badly, they have to live twenty four hours a day with ugly cones, bollards, traffic piled up outside their door etc.

I see cycle lanes installed all around me and no one in them all day, its literally a monumental waste of time and money especially the two way ones that you cant get it or out of.

Do you normally sit there all day counting the number of people cycling along a cycle lane?

Or are you expecting them to be waiting there in a big long queue or what?

I manage to cycle on lots of roads mixing with traffic, cycled to school everyday as my mother didnt drive, we have to move away from this constant negativity about cycling, its doing more than anything else to put women off and if they are afraid to cycle then their children wont cycle either.

so in this paragraph you tell us about the need to move away from the constant negativity about cycling yet in your next paragraph you continue with the tropes about weather and all that nonsense.

we dont have the climate for cycling,

To be absolutely blunt, that's complete bullsh1t! I think Dublin has similar annual raiunfall and wind to Amsterdam

out and about today all over South Dublin, passed a few men on bikes, none going uphill and its hills everywhere, when its not raining its windy and the weather is getting worse.

How the f* do you know where they are going or where they've come from? Honestly, you're posting absolute twaddle here.

Again in your plans for a cycle way, how will this impact those nice trees, are they to be cit down and the road festooned with ugly plastic wands.

Re-read what I posted. The trees don't need to be affected.

As for the plastic wands, I'd rather than there was a proper separation. The plastic wands that you see around are not there for cyclists - they are there for drivers!

And again the school is probably closed for more than half the year in total so why cause traffic carnage, we need to get away from this obsession about cycling to school if cycle lanes are impacting residents badly, they have to live twenty four hours a day with ugly cones, bollards, traffic piled up outside their door etc.

Schools aren't closed for more than half of the year so not sure why you're posting that. However, a lot of traffic congestion is down to parents dropping off or collecting their little angels. Surely it would be better for a community to have less unnecessary traffic and at the same time having healthier kids? Not quite sure why you'd have a problem with that.

As for ugly cones, bollards, traffic piled up outside their door, etc. - we all want to get away from that as it is a symptom of a massively car dependant culture which benefits nobody except the motor manufacturers!

Anyhow, I have edited my post - my original message here was asking you to quit the blatant trolling which hopefully you will now do because clearly everything you post is nonsense which with absolutely no effort can be proven to be nonsense!

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭downtheroad

What is your stance on roads that are festooned with ugly metal vehicles?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Okay, this has gone off topic enough (myself included) please back on topic about the Clontarf Project, folks are free to open a new thread if you want to continue the broader conversation. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I see Cian Giny's article about a particular section of the C2C cycleway at Fairview/Marino, the designers have installed a signal controlled crossing for pedestrians at the bus stop, so as to stop cyclists.. Whereas the actual left turn has no signals so large trucks, buses and cars can take a flyer around that corner.. Show's the over exaggerated focus on cyclists being "dangerous"...

Location;

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pVVaE82X5okNQxp26

It is ridiculous, that left turn is so dangerous, I hate crossing it. Cars and trucks fly into it at high speed. One day I watched a young boy almost get hit by a speeding car while crossing and I've had a number of close calls myself while crossing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had a walk around the Fairview parts today, I'm glad they're taking the effort to do some nice finishes. So much of town now is the plain tile look that's ageing pretty badly (see the new Temple Bar Square), whereas plenty of areas on the outbound side of fairview, they're doing nice decorative stone finish. Largest is outside the bikeshop but plenty more between there and Clontarf

Glad they're not taking the quick/cheap option

Here is the article in question and the video is well worth a watch. It is absolutely shocking stuff:

So much poor design.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think there are certain disability groups that would have insisted on that bike crossing light at the bus stop just because they hate cyclists so much, the road for turning left not having one wouldn't have been their priority

Which is insane, surely a car driving high speed into that turn is much more dangerous to a blind person then a bike lane.

Keep in mind this bus stop is on an island between 4 roads, so a blind person would need to cross one of these roads, two of them are signalised, but another two aren't. If a blind person was crossing these, it would be highly dangerous for them!

i don't think logic comes into it it's just down to people like gary kearney hating cyclists and wanting to make things difficult for them if possible

Reminds me of the Vibration strips they painted on the Clontarf road... Amazing the way the non-cycling public are all up in arms looking for restrictions, however when it comes to motor vehicles they're out protesting that their rights are being taken away!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/speeding-cyclists-in-clontarf-may-be-forced-to-slow-down-1.3419918

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Shocking noise tonight, I hope it doesn't go on all night.

Still no sign of them putting back those bus stops on North Strand. Can't see anything being finished by June.

Yeah stop go system outside da mimmo last night with huge tailbacks either side. Massive digger and trucks at work. I'll go down later and nothing will have changed as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s there for the weekend but there won’t be any works overnight tonight.

They are rebuilding the road so it is going to be noisy.

Same again in two weekends time.

The links at the top of this page explain all https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/active-travel/projects/clontarf-city-centre-project

Section of bike lane at Westwood has had red surfacing/paint applied. Maybe the difference in colour will make a small percentage of drivers aware they shouldn't be stopping in it.

The cycle lane on Griffith Avenue constantly swaps between yellow sections and red sections. I think it is yellow for sections with kerbing and red for sections without, drive ways, etc.

It maybe makes a bit of sense at Westwood, but is completely moronic the way it constantly changes on Griffith Avenue, makes it pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm sure 100% of drivers are aware that they shouldn't be stopping in it, most just don't give a fk and I don't think red paint will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They had the stop-go there at the weekend and another one at Portland Row just to add to the carnage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ With another new set of traffic lights to manage cars that cyclists might meet on Alfie Byrne Road, less than 10 metres away from an existing set of traffic lights. Planning 0 - Boot 1

And there’s no lights to turn into the park from outbound c2cc, as far as I can remember.

Looks great but I certainly wouldn't use it after dark....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭JRant

With the type of clientele that frequent stretch I wouldn't use it in daylight either.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement