Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options
1808182838486»

Comments

Fresh cream Meringue Roulade, Strawberry Gel, Rose Scented Strawberry Marshmallow, Vanilla Anglaise

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Porter cake

Lemon drizzle from the cooking club. Both for a work thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lemon Curd Cheesecake - Neven Maguire recipe for Dunnes Stores

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G!’s annual Hot Cross Buns went a bit blurry this year….,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭50HX

Baked cheesecake with blueberry compote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭con747

Hot dog rolls with cheese/onion and mustard for the Leinster match tomorrow.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Small bit of chocolate left over………just a skim 😀

What’s left of Mrs G’s! Tarte Tartan. Quite possibly the nicest thing thing she’s baked. She used Mary Berry’s recipe. (And as if that wasn’t enough, she also made an Apple Crumble).

This weekend she had a go at Portuguese Custard Tarts. Too much syrup me thinks

Is there ever such a thing as too much? 😦🤔

• Advertisement

Nope. A couple of hours chilling in the fridge and it’s merged with the custard. Yum!

Lemon Meringue Pie,

Non-Bake 😬, Lemon Curd on top. (Had to set overnight in fridge……kinda 😀😀)

BBC Good Food recipe.

Post edited by Planet X on

All four in at the same time, had to juggle the timing but hey……worked out.

We’ve all run out of ideas here so Mrs G! Is looking for something to bake this weekend. No matter how hard, give us your favourite bake and why? 😝

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Lots and lots of options. Lemon drizzle (cause the mother and MiL love it). Brownies cause himself loves them. Blackforest gateau if you have someone to offload most of it on.

Bakewell tart probably wins overall though ( https://www.scienceisdelicious.net/raspberry-bakewell-tart ). Dropped cherries instead of raspberries through lately. (and that book is really awesome, picked up randomly in Dubray yeaaaaaaaaaarrs ago and use it a lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

a good bakewell tart is my no. 1 fav desert.. a mate made one with cherries recently and it was divine

Bakewell tart was my choice too 😝

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Post a pic on Sunday so! :)

A drop of amaretto in some whipped cream would go great with…

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not mine, but I thought this would fit in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I thought doormat 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭This is it

I didn't think it warranted a new thread, can someone post a very simple scone recipe please? I tried the Donal Skeehan one and it was incredibly wet, unworkable. I tried adding a little extra flour but it would've needed about 500g more! I'm told there's far too much milk in that but surely it should work if he published the recipe!!

Will try standard scones this time.

https://donalskehan.com/recipes/raspberry-scones/

The challenge was set and as usual they tasted brilliant. Crispy outside with gooey almonds goodness inside. She did a large tart with an almond pastry base. Slightly burnt on top but it didn’t take away from the flavour.

She also made some mini ones with her own shortcrust-type pastry. Again the gooey inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭con747

That's not burnt, that's extra crispy flavour. I bake everything like that when I bake.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm well done - no pun intended he he

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭phormium

There are so many recipes out there for scones and many don't work or are not really scones more rock buns in some cases cut into scones, it's all in the ratio! That video is pretty old I'd say but good from a method point of view, I'd use butter instead of marg and I stir with a knife and a lot quicker and shorter than that, they were fairly well mixed I thought!

Anyway in general scones are quarter fat to flour and anything else is to your own taste, I have seen recipes that are half fat to flour, that is pastry territory and while lovely and buttery when warm they are very hard once they cool. I prefer old ratio of quarter, I use 8 ozs self raising flour with a level teaspoon of baking powder and 2 ozs butter. Donkeys years ago when we used plain flour with Royal baking powder there was a guide on the side of the tin and it was always 4 spoons to 8 oz for scones and 2 for cake so I don't believe self raising flour that is mainly geared towards cakey type things has enough raising agent for scones which are a heavier mix.

If making plain ones I add a tablespoon of sugar, if making fruit like sultanas I don't add any sugar. For the liquid it's much harder to say how much because flours differ in how much they absorb so it can never be totally accurate, I would never add all the liquid at once, you can always add in a bit more but can't take it back! Now an egg is going to be used for the glaze and only a bit of it so I prefer to crack the egg first, mix with the milk and keep aside a little of that for the glaze, that way at least you get the benefit of the rest of the egg in the scones.

For the liquid I'd start with in or around 100 ml milk plus the large egg minus a bit for the glaze, you can always add another bit of milk if it's not sticking together, I still wouldn't even add all of that at the start just in case!

Personally I use the little mini processor things for chopping in the butter hard from the fridge, dodgy thumbs at this stage so rubbing in method doesn't work for me. Quick blast in processor then into bowl and add sugar/fruit or whatever (orange rind and chocolate chips are nice too for a treat) then liquid (not all), stir with ordinary butter knife just enough to mix, add another bit of milk around edge of bowl if needed, then usual way for cutting them out, handle as little as possible, don't knead and just press into shape with your hand, rolling pin is the death of many scones!

Also cut them high enough to start with, they never rise as much as you think they will, spent years teaching new seasonal staff how to make scones and invariably their biggest error was flattening the mix too much and expecting biscuit thickness to mutate into giant high scones in the oven, doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Great scone 101 there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭This is it

Really appreciate the video, and the time taken by @phormium . Thank you both!

Advertisement