Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

This is the recipe I use:

At times I've had to substitute ingredients (e.g. honey if I can't find glucose syrup) and sometimes I scale up the quantities for a bigger batch. But the actual method is always the same, including the temperatures and when to stir (or not stir). By the end, it's already a very very thick mixture when I spread it out to set (my arm does be aching after stirring it for so long!).

Are you putting it in the fridge to set by any chance? It needs to be at room temperature to set properly. Or I wonder if it's a particularly hot or humid day, would that affect it too. I noticed the fudge is slightly softer when eaten in my friends A-rated house compared to my C3-rated house 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve been a very naughty boy.

So I baked a batch of ancaca.

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Brown soda scones

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A vegan cookies and cream cake, for a work colleagues birthday - it’s actually delicious! My first time baking something vegan

Beetroot Cake, Orange Reduction, Cinnamon Merginue, Orange Scented Goats cheese Ice Cream 🤌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I used this over the weekend, it works really well - thanks for posting

70% chocolate fondant, raspberry foam, Choc Tuile, raspberry sorbet 😎 (also meringue cos who doesn’t love it).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 499 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Friend wanted canapés for his pre wedding party and I added a carrot cake, basque cheesecake and gluten free brownies.

Everyone else in the house got bread and apple cinnamon rolls

Ooo! Kbizzle they look so nice 🤤

how do you do ur cinnamon rolls? On the hunt for a good recipe recently being the season n all 😎

• Advertisement

I use a tangzhong milk bread for the bread and usually make extra to make the cinnamon buns with. I had cinnamon glazed apples left over from one of the canapés so they went in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,841 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

More of the usual.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Danish Pasteries made with puff p., bit of mincemeat, cremè pat. Disappearing at a rate of knots 😀

Omg they look incredible Planet X - would love to have the time and patience to make those!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Old fashion apple tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,841 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I didn't ask for help!

The cat seems to like my brioche.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Baked these over Halloween, ginger shortbread biscuits, decorating is a bit dodgy but they tasted nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Does anyone have a good biscuit recipe that would be nice to give as gifts for Christmas, maybe something with cinnamon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Batch of Cinnamon Rolls with a vanilla cream cheese icing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Apple strudel and cookies class on holiday here in Salzburg. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

How do you make those? Thinking might be easier than mince pies as they are so fiddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All these cinnamon rolls and Danish pastries make me think of my mother's Chelsea buns. They were something else. I think she used to ice hers which was not traditional. I'd love to taste a homemade Chelsea bun again but I'm not much of a baker.

Double chocolate biscoff filled pine cones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭thomil

Vanillekipferl in that second pic? That brings back memories, we always used to bake those around Christmas time when I was a kid.

And, since this is a baking thread, I guess it's time to shill the chocolate, cinnamon & red wine cake I baked for work two days ago:

(Thank god, it's finally the right side up!)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭thomil

I am indeed, top floor in Penrose Dock. I have a feeling that management would not appreciate it if I turned the office into a café, though 😉

I can offer the recipe though, in case you want to try your hand at it yourself.

Red Wine Cake

(As per my late mom)

Ingredients:

• 5 eggs
    • 300 g butter
    • 300 g sugar
    • 2 packages vanilla sugar (I used two small tea spoons of vanilla extract, should have the same effect)
    • 1.5 tea spoons cocoa
    • 1.5 tea spoons cinnamon
    • 150 g chocolate crumbles, sprinkles, or flakes ( in German Schokoladen-Streusel)
    • 300 g flour
    • 1 package baking powder (16g)
    • 1/8 litre (125ml) dry red wine
    • Fat and breadcrumbs for form

Preparation:

• Stir eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla sugar with electric mixer
    • Add cocoa, cinnamon and chocolate crumbs
    • Add flour and baking powder
    • Lastly add red wine
    • Grease the form well (this dough loves to stick to the form and breaks easily)
    • Bake in pre-heated oven
    • Normal oven appr. 200 0 C ; convection oven appr. 180 0 C Duration appr. I h 15 and 1 h 30 depending on the oven
    • Test with wooden stick. If nothing clings to the stick and the cake smells likes Christmas with chocolate, it should be done
    • Optional: After the cake has cooled down and been removed from the form, cover with milk chocolate glazing

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Turned out nice……for sandwiches tomo. Going mushroom foraging early. 😀.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep @thomil, vanillekipferl. Class was through https://www.edelweiss-cooking.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some very nice bread

Advertisement